Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Amanda

I am concidering a American Staffordshire or an American Pit Bull Terrier, pup for my first dog. I do have a few concerns though. I live in an apartment and without a fenced in yard but where I do live there is a huge feild and 4 large parks in my town. Do yall think that any bull will do well in an apartment? I will be walking him or her 3-5 times a day for lost of excersize, sun and play time, I was once the resident dog walker so, I won't lack off on plenty of walks. How well do they walk? like for a nice neighborhood walk on a leash. And how hard is it to train your puppy, like basic Stop,No, a, Comend Speak, and other harder ones like shake/high five, and play dead. And do yall recomend the treat and clicker method, and I have never potty trained any animal with an exception of my cats who only took a few minutes, I just put them in litter box and they never looked back!

I will also have a roommate so there will lots of love to go around! I do have two rats who stay in a cage and a Mini Lop bunny who is in a cage but I let out in my bedroom for runaround time, not to worried about the rats but Baxter my bunny, how do you think pits and staffs do with Buns? Thanks for reading my long winded post, I just wanna get as much info on the pups as possible, I will be adopting the pup between 2- 5 monthes down the road. I am hoping to rescue from a kill shelter. Again thanks for all your time and responses. I will not nessesarily be getting a baby, but I don't wanna get one who has three legs and a tail in the grave either.

You can email me at [email protected].

Sander aka Amanda
Swartz Creek, Mich

·
Registered
886 Posts
they are both the same kind of dog. They are smart, and pretty easy to train. If you train the pup properly it will also do good on a leash. They are great pets and you will be loved tremendously, if you dont like being looked at while you go to the bathroom you might not want a bulldog.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
bigut64 said:
they are both the same kind of dog. They are smart, and pretty easy to train. If you train the pup properly it will also do good on a leash. They are great pets and you will be loved tremendously, if you dont like being looked at while you go to the bathroom you might not want a bulldog.
thats funny about the bathroom! I have found that CC (a pit bull) has been the easiest dog I have ever had to train. Her biggest fault is she has a foot fetish, god forbid you have open toed shoes on, soggy feet!

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is a good chance if you don't get a puppy you will be without a rabbit if you don't watch. Even with getting a puppy there is the chance of that. Pits have a pretty high prey drive aswell as some animal aggression so you need to be vigilant with your training and your separating of pets. I keep the door to the backyard open most of the time and every now and then a fly will fly into the house. My pit will run from room to room following it until it flies low enough for her to eat it. SHe also eats birds, cats, used to eat coyotes, bees, tarantulas, scorpions. They really are quite unique in their prey drive. Its a beautiful thing. Pits do fairly well in apartments IF you give them enough exercise. You have to remember they are part of the terrier family which gives them a high activity level. Have you thought about giving your dog any venues to work off some of that energy? Weight pull, agility, dog sports? Good luck!

Justin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure if there is agility in my area but I would like to get him or her into it, I have watched it meny times on tv ad they all do so well in it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know being in an apartment seems unfair, but I'm not in one of those micro apts in newyork... I have 856 square foot apartment yeah it is small, but it could be alot smaller, also the reason I want a dog is not only for conpainonship but because my roommate is not home alot, she bounces from our place to her parents to her boyfriends, so the pup will also beable to tell me when some one is at my door or god forbid trying to break in, also when I come home at 6:30 in the eavning, i'm not coming home to a dark, empty homeif I'm home and some one is trying to get in, a little Daschound or beagle wont scary that person way. I don't know tell me what you think..... Thanks Kelly for the welcome!

Sander

·
Registered
34 Posts
The day that dogs learn to break into a house is the day a pitbull will be a true home protector. There are other breeds that make better guard dogs. Pits were breed for dog aggression and absolutely no human aggression. Not to say a pit won't do it, I am just saying their are other breeds of dog that are better suited.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sander said:
the pup will also beable to tell me when some one is at my door or god forbid trying to break in, also when I come home at 6:30 in the eavning, i'm not coming home to a dark, empty homeif I'm home and some one is trying to get in, a little Daschound or beagle wont scary that person way. I don't know tell me what you think.....
I always think that someone has stolen my dog when we get home, until he comes stretching and yawning when I'm already half way through the house. I also think that if someone did break in, he would smoother them with kisses.

·
Registered
451 Posts
crackerbull said:
i dont think it would be fair for the dog to live in an appartment and no fenced yard and most appartments have restrictions on size but good luck with whatever you do...rs
I live in an apartment and it's quite fair to the dog because I walk him 4-5 times a day.

To the OP, hi and welcome, would this be your first dog? If so, I wouldn't really recommend that a first time owner have an APBT, but as long as you do all the research you need to do and then decide you still want one, go for it. :D

·
Registered
451 Posts
elke said:
Sander said:
the pup will also beable to tell me when some one is at my door or god forbid trying to break in, also when I come home at 6:30 in the eavning, i'm not coming home to a dark, empty homeif I'm home and some one is trying to get in, a little Daschound or beagle wont scary that person way. I don't know tell me what you think.....
I always think that someone has stolen my dog when we get home, until he comes stretching and yawning when I'm already half way through the house. I also think that if someone did break in, he would smoother them with kisses.
:lol: Very true.

APBTs as a rule, make poor guard dogs. Mine doesn't bark at all, not even when people come to the door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tara, thanks for the welcome, the pup would be my first dog, but my grandparents have always had a dog since i was... come to think of it I think they alwasy had a dog when i was growing up, anyways I have never had a dog my self, but my neighbors who moved last year had a Coyote/Chow/German Sheperd mix, sweetest dog in the world.... anyways I have been around dogs my whole live, just never had the pleasure of owning one.... Now I'm not set on a Pit, and I'm not saying I want the dog to rip the intruders arm off, I just want them to see the dog and be discuraged, and to let me know when someone is coming to the door, but I will look into other breeds before I make my finale choice, I would rather be educated than turn out to be one of those proverbial people who should have a Cocker Spanial, but own an American Sheperd. lol

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sander said:
Tara, thanks for the welcome, the pup would be my first dog, but my grandparents have always had a dog since i was... come to think of it I think they alwasy had a dog when i was growing up, anyways I have never had a dog my self, but my neighbors who moved last year had a Coyote/Chow/German Sheperd mix, sweetest dog in the world.... anyways I have been around dogs my whole live, just never had the pleasure of owning one.... Now I'm not set on a Pit, and I'm not saying I want the dog to rip the intruders arm off, I just want them to see the dog and be discuraged, and to let me know when someone is coming to the door, but I will look into other breeds before I make my finale choice, I would rather be educated than turn out to be one of those proverbial people who should have a Cocker Spanial, but own an American Sheperd. lol
That's great! A lot of people on this forum are very knowledgable about the APBT as well as other bully breeds. :D Ask away!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts