Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last sunday we adopted Blacky, a 6 month Lab/Pit mix, at the local SPCA. I've been walking him for a week prior to that and fell in love.

Right now I'm at the limit of my strenght and its mostly my own fault. Blacky was already house trained and is EXTREMELY intelligent. Unfortunately on tuesday night, after his walk, he went crazy and after complaints from neighbours and a few hours of effort we finally realized that he needed to go outside again... Last night after his walk he went ballistic again but we managed to calm him down "relatively" easily.

This morning he started challenging me after his walk and i had to scruff him to calm him down.

How can it be that one minute he's a super obediant puppy and next thing you know he's turned into a psycho beast from hell?

How do you people manage to cope with all this behaviour?
[/url]

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Maybe a walk just isn't enough...Try taking him to the park and playing fetch or maybe jog him till he can't see straight. He may just have a high energy level and that can cause him to go a little stir crazy. The walk could just be a tease. Good luck!!!

EDIT...duh you said "Lab" pit mix...well the answer to that is the Lab in him is very high energy and will need more than a walk for sure. They are a handful as pups. Good luck and maybe invest in some puppy classes. ~Vonna

·
Registered
297 Posts
Here is Blacky

He is a Lab/Pit mix puppy, just six month old with tons of energy. How long do you take him out for a walk? Do you play with him outside?

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
(((How do you people manage to cope with all this behaviour? )))

I cope cause of my love of the breed its takes time time time when it comes to some bully's if you invest enuff time and love youll get it back sooner or later 100000 times fold! stick with it youll understand after you have him for 3 -4 months ! :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i take him for a walk in the morning and i jog with him twice before going to work in the afternoon and then jog with him when i get back from work at night... he doesn't care much about playing fetch, i guess he didn't inherit that lab characteristic.

i wish i was living in a house, then we wouldn't care about the neighbours, but at this moment the noise levels are way too much... last night my gf broke down because of his behaviour.. this morning everything is fine but she said that the puppy has to go...
she's playing with him right now and in a couple of hours i'll have to take him back to the spca :oops: , i don't want to jeopardize my relationship :(

this makes me really sad, we both love this puppy a lot :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, we discussed it this noon again, and decided to give him one week.
i've started using treats to train him and he seems to respond even better... it's amazing how quickly this dog learns

a little girl at the spca called him licky, now i know why...he doesn't nibble, he licks everything

damn, he just peed in the hall, we suck at this

going for a walk

we'll see how things go tonight

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
today i taught him to sit and stay, i know its only the early stages but he's been responding very well

i also realized many mistakes i was making, like becoming too emotional towards the dog and not respecting his walking schedule which resulted in the hall being peed in...twice

after coming back from work i fed him and took him for a walk, this time as i was getting dressed i forced him to stay still instead of running around with the leash on, made him stay inside the house until i stepped out and called him, made him walk down the stairs at my speed etc...
when coming back from the walk i did the same and left nothing to his own initiative, then put him in his crate as i prepared my own food, he squealed from time to time while looking at me from inside the crate but then calmed down

right now he's been in the crate for over 30 minutes and other then sporadic squealing, he's pretty calm
we're getting ready to sleep but i've been ordered to bring him back to the spca tomorrow :( :( :(
i'll try and buy him a few more days but i'm afraid that's all the time he's got with me :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts