Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

When your dogs bicker do you let them "work it out" or do say no dice?

• I let them work it out as long as it not a fight.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I say no bickering under this roof.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little confused about pack order between my dogs or better yet how or should I allow them to work out there differences.I am the Alpha their is no questioning that and I would say Tora comes in second and Dober dead last..They do not get into full blown rumbles but they growl and warn, well, Dober tries to growl and tell Tora to back off but he is a Chihuahua she couldn't care less about what he says..If it is a chew, a toy, etc she will take it from him, which is what leads me to believe that she is 2nd and Dober is last...............Here is my question dogs naturally work themselves out in the pack,right? So do I let them bicker as long as there is no fighting? Or do I set the rule no bickering?

I have read if they have a scuffle that I can say it is unacceptable and create that "Rule"...But I have also read that if I interfere or treat them out of the pack order that will create angist among the two of them. So I am a little confused about how to handle the bickering, which is rare they mostly keep to themselves I am just worried about unknowingly creating a hostile enviroment. I don't know if I am misunderstanding what I have read or if this is a conflict between the experts? Please let me know what you do and what you think works best.Your experiences good and bad woudl be greatly appreciated-Angie

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I am having a little bit of the same problem. I had a female chihuahua and she was alpha of the dog pack. Sadly, I had to get rid of her because she snapped at my son...(for no reason). Now that she is happily living with my brother as an only dog, my dog pack is going a little crazy. I of course assumed that my older male would step up and just kinda take the role, but my younger female was constantly challenging him for position. Dozer does not and will not submit to her, so we have little scuffles occaisionally. So I am wondering the same thing. Do I allow them to argue (not fight) and figure it out on their own, or do I always step in and make them stop?

After reading that article that GTChick put up, I have been allowing them to work things out on their own. Believe me, I don't allow or encourage them to fight, but I think it may be natural to let them establish their own heirarchy??? So far it is working. When Cali steps outta line Dozer just gives her a quick snap and puts her back in place. She will submit and begin licking him. What do you guys think???

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a zero tolerance for aggression in my house. I have has 3 fights here and all 3 someone nearly died and amounted to thousands in vet bills. These are bulldogs, not Labs and all it takes is one split second and you could be left with a huge vet bill or worse, a dead dog. Something a simple as eye contact over a toy or somebody posturing can cause a huge problem. Esspecially those with small dogs in the house. Trust me, you let your bully and chihuahua work it out, one day you won't have a chi. If any dog in my house shows any sign of aggression to another dog, they get crated imediatly. I am not about to let them "work it out" I have 3 dogs, I foster and I board dogs, so I am not about to have somebody get hurt, esspecially someone elses dog. I guess you live and learn.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
You can typically tell a difference between dogs that are fighting and dogs that are rough-housing. If mine are rough-housing then I let them do it, but if they get into a scuffle over a toy or food and there are teeth showing & growling and all that other stuff, then I separate them immediately. I've been lucky enough to have never had to witness my current or past dogs get into a real fight. They've all gotten along. Now, Shelby was there first, and is a big baby, so she gets jealous real easily, but is never mean to Koda because of it. 9 times out of 10 it's Koda picking a fight with Shelby, but he's still a puppy, and they do that.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I don't tolerate my dogs fighting, but I also take preventative measures to ensure they don't fight. They eat separately, chew their bones separately, and don't share inside toys. There's no reason to force them to share such things, and it's just not worth the potential vet bills and injuries. I have various ways of breaking up their fighting when they do get into it. If they're outside, I either dump their water bowl on them or turn the hose on them. If they're inside, I bang a pot and pan over their heads and give the "NO" command. They don't usually get into all out fights, but Tala can be territorial at times. When I see her tense up and stare at Yote, just before she's about to lunge at him, I'll stop it then. If she doesn't listen to me, then she's scolded and put outside. I don't put her in her crate as a punishment because I don't want her associating her crate with negativity.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your help I was getting very confused abut how to handle it.......I do buy 2 of every thing if Tora gets a toy Dober gets the same one, The problem is even though I buy two of everything Tora wants both...............I know the bones are bigger than him but I like to buy them too big so they can't break them when Tora starts breaking them I am going to remove the bones and buy Kongs or a tire toy for them to chew........I would not have to worry about a fight Tora would win and Dober would be gone :cry: ,yuck, it is heart breaking to even think about..But I did not know if I should let Dober growl at her, as I said before Tora could care less she takes whatever it is anyways....Thank you again this topic always confuses me

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Beetle said:
I don't tolerate my dogs fighting, but I also take preventative measures to ensure they don't fight. They eat separately, chew their bones separately, and don't share inside toys. There's no reason to force them to share such things, and it's just not worth the potential vet bills and injuries. I have various ways of breaking up their fighting when they do get into it. If they're outside, I either dump their water bowl on them or turn the hose on them. If they're inside, I bang a pot and pan over their heads and give the "NO" command. They don't usually get into all out fights, but Tala can be territorial at times. When I see her tense up and stare at Yote, just before she's about to lunge at him, I'll stop it then. If she doesn't listen to me, then she's scolded and put outside. I don't put her in her crate as a punishment because I don't want her associating her crate with negativity.
I agree with Beetle. I prefer to play it safe rather than have them work it out. As far as pack hierarchy goes all that matters to me is that I am on top..after that it doesn't matter to me. My dogs eat, get bones, and toys all separately. I never give them a reason to fight over anything. If I fed them together or if they got in a fight over a toy and one or both got injured it would be no ones fault but my own. Not worth it, after all what is gained by letting them work out their hierarchy?

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
If you are as you say, pack leader, then the other dogs should except YOUR rules. If you don't want the fighting or the bickering, then they have to except it. That is how they "naturally" work out in the wild, if the leader doesn't like something going on then he/she'll let them know. I would read up on this too, some dog physcology books would help you understand "hiarchy" in the dog world.

PS- The banners in your signature are not suppose to be large pictures :wink: I forget the dimensions, you'd have to look in the gen. section or photo section, the one that's stickied.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PS- The banners in your signature are not suppose to be large pictures I forget the dimensions, you'd have to look in the gen. section or photo section, the one that's stickied.
I know believe it or not it meets the size requirements :shock: I am trying to get it fixed though............ I tried to get someone to make me a banner but I have not been able to so far......So I tried my hand at it and this Huge thing :shock: is what i came up with :oops: Plus, I can't upload photos to get anyone to make me a banner I asked the mods about it I am waiting for a reply to fix it but I scared to remove it until I can get my upload ablities fixed

[/quote]

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Here's a banner I made for you Angie:

Sorry it came out so small, when I resized it, it got all messed up. Maybe someone else on here could fix it or make you a new one?

Sorry :oops: , I tried.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMG!!!!!!!! Thank you so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is adorable and a million times better than my artwork!!!! :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts