Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Hm... Well when i think of drive, I think of high interest and the want to pursue.

So for example, I said Lucy has high prey drive because when walking in the woods she sees any animal of any kind- goose, bird, frog, she is on full alert and tries her damnest to get to it. Like yesterday she saw a goose and was almost completely submersed in the water (as far as the lead would allow) and was trying to get to it.

But I am interested in hearing what it really means.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
A high drive dog will risk anything to get what they want (food/prey/toy/praise), they will race through the bushes instead of around. Amount of drive is how relentlessly a dog will pursue something.

High energy is not related to drive, dogs can be high drive and low energy, although its nice to pair the two depending if you are involved with work or not. When I think high energy I think of the dog who chases his tail, there is no goal or purpose its just to drain energy.
Does drive depend on how desirable the "something" is? I can tell Lucy has more drive than Murphy for sure, but she also will give up on something if it's not that interesting. Like my springpole. Murphy doesn't even care about it, but Lucy will go at it for awhile. But eventually give up. If it's a cat or another dog or bird or something, it's hard to get her focus again until te thing is out of her field of vision. Even after, I have to keep coaxing her.

It's a shame she's so poorly put together, she probably could do some type of work. And she has a good temperament.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts