Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Without reading the responses here is my take on each... High Drive is when a dog will work for anything and not give up. If there is something going on, he is on it. High Energy is when a dog has energy to burn and not necessarily for any particular purpose, he just has it.

I will read the responses now and see how I did haha.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
OK so I understood fine haha.

I always considered Hudson High Drive because he is always laid back, calm etc... but lets say a ball rolls by, or something moves quickly? He is on it in less than a second, even from a dead sleep. He is always very aware of whats going on, and wants in. He can sleep all day and do fine, but just the same he has chased a ball all day without hesitation to stop. If his ball goes under the couch, he will dig at it until someone gets it for him. He even tore the material off and started removing wood/stuffing to get in there. Sometimes he will try and squeeze behind the wall. He has that determination, ambition. He will stop at nothing to reach his goal. I don't consider him high energy because he is so laid back and calm most of the time. If he asks me to play and its not time, he won't run around and get destructive, but play by himself or just whine until I say quiet again.

I thought Hudson had a high food drive until I met LittleFoot. That bitch is crazy. I would still say Hudson has a high food drive, but hers is insane. Her prey drive is not as high as Hudson's. We had troubles with Hudson chasing the cat, and still do at times. It honestly only got better when LittleFoot came into the picture. LittleFoot will try to play with the cat, but not chase her anytime she runs. If Ivory is still, Hudson will be too, but he always has his eye on her. She so much as takes a step quicker than a slow walk and he is there. Luckily we have trained him to know she is not prey, so when he does get to her, he just likes to stand over her, or punch her, or face smash her haha.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I'll agree with FP in the variety of "high drive". It seems like a general term but really, when seriously considered there are a whole other set of levels and variables.

When I refer to the term I say it pretty generally. I wouldn't no where to begin in saying exactly how it applies to my dog/dogs, just the basic qualities.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Colby sounds funny. Hudson will put it on something high and knock it down to get the treats out if they are stuck, or throw it out of his mouth onto a wall lol. He can be so dumb in other ways though, trust me.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Hudson tore up his legs this weekend trying to get a frisbee that was flying by him... playing monkey in the middle (I told my friends to let him catch it sometimes). He did this for hours and we didn't notice until the end of the day, his skin was swollen, bleeding, some puss coming out... he kept getting wrapped in his leash and kicking his legs back out, but he was so happy, we didn't notice he was hurting himself! I am now taking care of his wounds haha. Is it high enough to be successful at a sport? Probably not, but he is one motivated sun of a gun.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
We've ultimately decided against it. We just can't fit it into our schedule in a proper way. I don't do things unless I can commit all the way. FP suggested a good place near here, but the sched doesn't match mine. If I was really passionate about it I could make it work, but we learnt we are not. I'm not going to waste anyone's time either. So now I will shift my focus back to good OB and keeping him a happy dog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts