Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A high drive dog will risk anything to get what they want (food/prey/toy/praise), they will race through the bushes instead of around. Amount of drive is how relentlessly a dog will pursue something.

High energy is not related to drive, dogs can be high drive and low energy, although its nice to pair the two depending if you are involved with work or not. When I think high energy I think of the dog who chases his tail, there is no goal or purpose its just to drain energy.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Does drive depend on how desirable the "something" is? I can tell Lucy has more drive than Murphy for sure, but she also will give up on something if it's not that interesting. Like my springpole. Murphy doesn't even care about it, but Lucy will go at it for awhile. But eventually give up. If it's a cat or another dog or bird or something, it's hard to get her focus again until te thing is out of her field of vision. Even after, I have to keep coaxing her.

It's a shame she's so poorly put together, she probably could do some type of work. And she has a good temperament.
Yes and this is why you refer to a high food drive as a dog who will do anything for a small piece of food, or prey drive as a dog who will do anything to catch an animal or chase a moving object.

The drive though vs the energy is the goal, high energy dogs will do something just to burn energy, there is no goal, high drive dogs have a goal, a driving force.

I think horse is high/moderate drive and moderate energy level, my mastiff his moderate drive with a moderate energy level, my pug is low drive and low energy level. All dogs will have some level of drive (bloodhounds for example, their drive is to track) and depending on what drives your dog and what the genetic temperament is like is really what governs what sports they will do well in. But a sport like agility most dogs can do, even a dog with a low drive, they might not excel in it but they can still do it, where as a sport like SchH the dog needs a high drive and a correct temperament.

I have been doing lots of reading (probably to much) about drive lately lol.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I think that one's understanding of "high drive" also has to do with experience. The spectrum against which we can actually place our own dogs. I know my thoughts on my dogs drive levels, Dylan in particular, have changed dramatically since I have seen a ton more dogs in the last year or so. I used to think D was high drive :lol: but really he's nothing special, just a pet who happens to have enough drive that it allows him to do the work at a low to mediocre level.
Yes and dogs can be classified as high drive but on different levels, like a border collie VS an american bulldog, both potentially high drive breeds with different drives.

I think horse will have drive enough to allow him to participate but not anything compared to a well bred GSD. I am not expecting anyone to be blown away by his drives but I think he will do OK and its a foot in the door and the next dog will be better.

Experience can tell you a lot of things that reading all the books or websites will not tell you.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hudson tore up his legs this weekend trying to get a frisbee that was flying by him... playing monkey in the middle (I told my friends to let him catch it sometimes). He did this for hours and we didn't notice until the end of the day, his skin was swollen, bleeding, some puss coming out... he kept getting wrapped in his leash and kicking his legs back out, but he was so happy, we didn't notice he was hurting himself! I am now taking care of his wounds haha. Is it high enough to be successful at a sport? Probably not, but he is one motivated sun of a gun.
Get him evaluated already lol

Its the only way to know for sure, I am going on Thursday and I am pretty anxious about it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
lol just a few bodies.....and maybe a pot plant or two... but still it was weird.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Its the main reason lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts