Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes and this is why you refer to a high food drive as a dog who will do anything for a small piece of food, or prey drive as a dog who will do anything to catch an animal or chase a moving object.

The drive though vs the energy is the goal, high energy dogs will do something just to burn energy, there is no goal, high drive dogs have a goal, a driving force.

I think horse is high/moderate drive and moderate energy level, my mastiff his moderate drive with a moderate energy level, my pug is low drive and low energy level. All dogs will have some level of drive (bloodhounds for example, their drive is to track) and depending on what drives your dog and what the genetic temperament is like is really what governs what sports they will do well in. But a sport like agility most dogs can do, even a dog with a low drive, they might not excel in it but they can still do it, where as a sport like SchH the dog needs a high drive and a correct temperament.

I have been doing lots of reading (probably to much) about drive lately lol.
So basically a high energy dog would chase a squirrel just to get rid of energy, But a high drive dog would chase the squirrel for the goal of killing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, drive can be broken down into different types of drive and depending on who you talk there the list may be a little different. Here is a short list of the common drives that are discussed:
  • prey drive
  • play drive
  • hunt drive
  • fight drive
  • defense drive
  • pack drive

So, a dog can have high prey/play drive but not so much hunt drive, meaning it will play with the toy but once the toy is lost it's like "oh whatever."
Could you please explain each drive in detail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I
tell people that they should feed in different locations. Feed your dog in
the front yard, in front of a pet store, in the bedroom, and teach him to
concentrate on his food where ever he is.
If you start this at a young age of 8 weeks old my question for this is what if you feed raw I'm gonna feed my pup primal that is already pre-made and has everything to be a full raw meal how would I feel my pup anywhere outdoors with the raw feed now would I be able to just throw a few treats in a travel bowl since mixing kibble and raw is bad for a dogs digestive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tye_nna tell us about your puppy. What breed and type is it? What are your plans for your pup? House dog, therapy dog, rescue dog, hunting dog, working dog? This will determine the type of training your pup will require.
Ok so, sorry if I was specific enough this is for a year or two from now I'm gonna get Red merle Female Border collie puppy my plans for her was to do Agility, Disc, and Dock diving Disc for fun, Agility for fun, but Dock diving I might do competitions for therefore I think she would be a working dog but I'd still want her family friendly and good with other people, dogs and our cat. Also I dont know if this matters but I have a Rescue dog she is a husky and border collie mix technically a house and or family pet and I wanna get her into Dock diving and maybe some rat hunting after she learns a lot more training.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts