Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I think that one's understanding of "high drive" also has to do with experience. The spectrum against which we can actually place our own dogs. I know my thoughts on my dogs drive levels, Dylan in particular, have changed dramatically since I have seen a ton more dogs in the last year or so. I used to think D was high drive :lol: but really he's nothing special, just a pet who happens to have enough drive that it allows him to do the work at a low to mediocre level.
Yes and dogs can be classified as high drive but on different levels, like a border collie VS an american bulldog, both potentially high drive breeds with different drives.

I think horse will have drive enough to allow him to participate but not anything compared to a well bred GSD. I am not expecting anyone to be blown away by his drives but I think he will do OK and its a foot in the door and the next dog will be better.

Experience can tell you a lot of things that reading all the books or websites will not tell you.

·
Registered
553 Posts
When I think of "drive" I think of motivation. As in driven or motivated to perform a task or reach a goal. Ie, in prey drive the drive or motivation is the desire to catch the prey etc.
When I think of the term "energy" I think of endurance or the ability to keep moving. A high energy dog to me is simply a dog that has the energy or indurance to keep moving for a prolonged period of time.
Both can be a curse or a blessing depending on if the dog is provided with the skills and oppertunity to utilize them in a constructive manner or not....

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Hudson tore up his legs this weekend trying to get a frisbee that was flying by him... playing monkey in the middle (I told my friends to let him catch it sometimes). He did this for hours and we didn't notice until the end of the day, his skin was swollen, bleeding, some puss coming out... he kept getting wrapped in his leash and kicking his legs back out, but he was so happy, we didn't notice he was hurting himself! I am now taking care of his wounds haha. Is it high enough to be successful at a sport? Probably not, but he is one motivated sun of a gun.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hudson tore up his legs this weekend trying to get a frisbee that was flying by him... playing monkey in the middle (I told my friends to let him catch it sometimes). He did this for hours and we didn't notice until the end of the day, his skin was swollen, bleeding, some puss coming out... he kept getting wrapped in his leash and kicking his legs back out, but he was so happy, we didn't notice he was hurting himself! I am now taking care of his wounds haha. Is it high enough to be successful at a sport? Probably not, but he is one motivated sun of a gun.
Get him evaluated already lol

Its the only way to know for sure, I am going on Thursday and I am pretty anxious about it.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
We've ultimately decided against it. We just can't fit it into our schedule in a proper way. I don't do things unless I can commit all the way. FP suggested a good place near here, but the sched doesn't match mine. If I was really passionate about it I could make it work, but we learnt we are not. I'm not going to waste anyone's time either. So now I will shift my focus back to good OB and keeping him a happy dog.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Yes and dogs can be classified as high drive but on different levels, like a border collie VS an american bulldog, both potentially high drive breeds with different drives.

I think horse will have drive enough to allow him to participate but not anything compared to a well bred GSD. I am not expecting anyone to be blown away by his drives but I think he will do OK and its a foot in the door and the next dog will be better.

Experience can tell you a lot of things that reading all the books or websites will not tell you.
A high drive dog is a high drive dog. I don't care what breed it is.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
A high drive dog is a high drive dog. I don't care what breed it is.
Exactly. The thing that can vary from dog to dog is what exactly they are high drive for. For example, you have some dogs who have an extremely high prey drive for small animals but have next to no drive to play with a ball or do any prey based protection work. Then you got those dogs that show super high drive for something but can be easily shut down whenever control is rules/control are implemented.

I also agree that "high drive" is subjective based on what you have seen and experienced.

Glad I started this thread. Hopefully it was able to teach others the difference between drive and energy as it drives me nuts to see the words "high drive" thrown around so willy nilly. I honestly do not think a lot of people know what drive actually is.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I often wonder how high Rudeboys drive is.

Whether he would be any use in a working environment.

Id like to think so, since he really isnt much of a pet lol.

As I said in the 'retrieve' thread he will go for hours and hours when playing fetch. He has not once stopped playing before I have. When watching him do this you would be forgiven for thinking he has good drive, he really does get on with it like its all business, not so much a game; although everything to him is a game in some sense.

When he has seen a cat in our garden he has gone apeshit trying to get it, bashing into the fence, trying anything to go after it.

I deinitely dont think he is high energy as he knows when to be active and when to rest; thank god. Since he is exercised rigourously he rarely does zoomies or asks for exercise or attention.

He has absolutely no interest in flirt pole and although he loves a game of tug and will play for hours he hasnt taken to the spring pole either which is disapointing; not sure if its cus I havent got hold of the other end or because we were away from our home when we tried spring pole but he just didnt get it; maybe if I set one up where he is more at home ie in our garden then he would get into it, not sure.

He is pretty good at doing weightpull once he gets started, but if I leave it a few weeks between sessions then getting started and reminding him he can pull can take quite long.

Once he gets going he really enjoys this.

I would say he is medium drive and medium energy but am not really sure what I am basing this on lol.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
so Lolita is high energy??
will play fetch forever but when ball is "lost", she turns around and comes back to us. Also she will easily give up her toy and won't hold on to it.
and Orson is high drive??
He will NOT give up on a toy "lost" and will NOT hardly leave it for even food. Even if toy is at bottom of pool, he will not give up trying to get to it.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Well, drive can be broken down into different types of drive and depending on who you talk there the list may be a little different. Here is a short list of the common drives that are discussed:
- prey drive
- play drive
- hunt drive
- fight drive
- defense drive
- pack drive

So, a dog can have high prey/play drive but not so much hunt drive, meaning it will play with the toy but once the toy is lost it's like "oh whatever."

·
Registered
908 Posts
What about a border collie/blue heeler? That dog is insane. I think the dog has some kind of insecurity that causes him to obsess about his ball. I mean it's not cute or funny anymore. The dog will not let his ball leave his sight. It's kind of like an OCD person that my wife works with. He won't even sit still long enough for us to pet him. It's almost like he substitutes love and affection for that ball. :-k

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
lol just a few bodies.....and maybe a pot plant or two... but still it was weird.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Its the main reason lol

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well, drive can be broken down into different types of drive and depending on who you talk there the list may be a little different. Here is a short list of the common drives that are discussed:
- prey drive
- play drive
- hunt drive
- fight drive
- defense drive
- pack drive

So, a dog can have high prey/play drive but not so much hunt drive, meaning it will play with the toy but once the toy is lost it's like "oh whatever."
Indeed.
I have found that an easy way conceptualize drive is to subtitute the word drive with the word motivation.
Ie a dog with a strong prey drive is a dog that is highly motivated to chase prey and a dog with a high fight drive would be a dog that is highly motivated to fight etc, etc...

Of course energy is more synonomous with endurance or overall activity level. A dog with high drive and high energy would be a dog that is very motivated to perform a task or behavior and has the ability to go at it vigorously for a long time. :)

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Somehow I've managed to be the owner of a dog who came from the two driviest dogs from a breeder known to produce dogs with very high drive... it's been a very interesting experience so far lol. I can safely say all of his drives are ridiculously high, I would say overkill for a pet. And by all his drives, I mean he has ridiculous prey/play/fight/defensive/civil/pack drives, all over the top. Couple that with high energy and ultra dominance, and you can see I've got my work cut out for me. He's a trip.

Never seen a dog like this before and I've met many. 2 trainers wanted to take him off my hands, but I've managed to keep him so far and work on making him a manageable pet, but it ain't easy lol... especially in a big crowded city.

Call me crazy but I like a challenge I guess. I'm mainly just trying to lower his drive while also giving him outlets for it. Many many times I wanted to rehome this guy with a trainer but we've finally got an understanding of each other I think now lol... it would be tough to let go.

Btw, I will try to capture good footage of this guy in action and post it up here on the board sometime. I've been talking a lot about him, but I really need to capture his craziness and intensity

21 - 40 of 50 Posts