Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having this debate with my coworkers and everyone I know has a different opinion.

OK, I say that a high protein no grain diet is good for adult pit bulls but my coworkers and some of my friends say no unless you're working your dog because it will cause kidney damage. Now I thought that was only when they got old that you are supposed to lower their protein somewhat but a friend of mine says to feed no higher than 25% protein.

That doesn't seem to make sense to me, only feeding a carnivore 1/4 meat. I would think at least half should be meat and the rest split between vegetables and complex carbs (like potato or brown rice). I thought you were supposed to feed puppies a lower protein, adults a higher protein, and seniors a medium protein level. But now a coworker of mine is saying that high protein causes trouble in growing bones but a friend of mine says they need it for their growing muscular system.

My agruement is that in the wild, "dogs" eat other animals and whatever is in the animal they are eating. But their arguement is that in the wild they don't eat everyday, so they can handle the high protein.

Who of you feed a high protein diet and what percentage protein is it?

I just want to know because someday I will rescue another adult pit and I would like to feed them the new high protein food from Solid Gold. Trouble is, it is like 60% protein but I'm being told thats not good unless I work my dog. Pit bulls are so energetic though they usually have trouble keeping weight and muscle mass on.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
PitBullRoyalty said:
That doesn't seem to make sense to me, only feeding a carnivore 1/4 meat.
A 25% protein diet does not equal only 1/4 meat. There are other things in meat (fat, moisture, etc.) besides straight protein.

I'm still not sure about the high protein thing. My dogs are doing really well on a Timberwolf Organics diet (I think about 25 or 26% protein), so I see no reason to feed them a grain-free high-protein diet right now. I'd like to eventually go raw, but I'm still researching it.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
When i looked into that protein thing for my old dog,
yeah the thinking was a senior dogs needs less
protien cause of organ damage.
But new studies suggest that senior dogs need MORE protein and more
calcium and alot of companies are changing to higher protein content in their food. Also pups need less protein and less calcium.
Go figure...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts