Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our male Logan has always been pretty energetic, runs around a lot, jumps, normal dog stuff.

Yesterday evening when I let him in the house from the yard, he was limping a little. Today he is limping pretty bad on his right rear leg. The reason I ask if this is hips or his leg is because he sometimes does stupid stuff, like fall off the bed onto the hardwood floors, or he will run around the yard and trip and tumble. He's twisted his leg before and hobbled around, although not quite this bad. When I let him outside today, he took of running, albeit with a weird gait. He's only 18 months old, so we haven't had his hips tested yet. We don't plan on breeding (he's fixed), anyway. I checked his foot for wounds, nothing there. Nothing on his leg. But when he walks be doesn't put much weight on that foot.

Question: Should I spend the outrageous fee and take him into to the vet, or should give it a few days and see what happens? Obviously he is in pain, but he RAN out the door to go play in the yard, so maybe he just pulled a muscle being a dork?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
he may have pulled a muscle.
give it a couple days and if it doesnt get better then definately take him to the vet and if it gets worse then dont wait

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So more than likely he injured his leg it would seem, the more I read. I assume that HD doesn't just happen over the course of a few hours, and since he was fine earlier in the day, it would be more likely that he hurt himself playing in the yard?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Confine your dog for the next 7 days. This means he's either in his kennel or on a leash when he's outside with you to do his "business". Sprains & strains can take upwards of 6 weeks to heal, but after 7 days of limited movement you should see a huge difference. IF after that time he is still limping, then off to the vet you go. Or if you cannot or will not confine him like that (it will be tough as he's used to running around but it's very, very necessary), then take him on in to the vet now. The only thing that concerns me as of late is that we are seeing a HUGE increase in ACL tears in bulldog breeds. This is something that will cause lameness in your dog but most bullies will play/work through it until they are non-weightbearing on the leg. Your vet can knock him out lightly while you wait & check these ligaments for you just to be on the safe side. And if all is well, then he/she will tell you to do the same thing I did however they can prescribe an antiinflammatory for the dog.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can keep him in the house most of the day, and in the garage the other parts of the day, so he can't run around. How would I know if it's his ACL? The vet test pretty much?

His pain tolerance is so high that he wants to continue to play, so I guess it's time out for Logan until we know what's going on. Is there any over the counter meds he can take now, or should we just wait?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Even in the house or garage he needs to be confined. When loose, he's still up walking around, jumping on & off the furniture & all these things go against the benefit of "confinement".

As for his ACL, only the vet can determine a partial tear or not. They have to sedate them so the dog does not tense up or fight the range of motion the vet must put the leg through. However, I personally have a dog who has had 2 ACL surgeries (each leg) & seen countless others (I'm a vet tech) & in all of the cases the dogs showed lameness & some degree of pain after a while. If your dog bounces back to his old self within a few days & doesn't have any lameness after that, then he's good to go.

But still, he needs strict rest for the next week.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, today he is walking around much better. He's limping a little, but he's 100% better than he was yesterday. I'll give him the weekend of light duty, and see how he is on Monday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts