Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I'm going to remind people to watch what they say here. This thread and its responses will show up on google and there are anti-pit bull people and organizations that go to sites like this and use this kind of thing against these dogs and their owners.

Lisa makes a good point.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I frequently work my dogs on more than one line.
I must be a terrible owner eh?

Actually, Cairo was in a very similar situation today. Tied to a tree by a 15ft long line that was connected to his flat collar and had a six foot lead attached to his prong. He was also wearing a muzzle.
Guess I am going to dog owner hell.

You are being very judgmental over one picture that shows a dog with two ropes. I honestly don't get it.
What is so terrible about two ropes? You think the dog is handled like this all the time? You think this one picture shows you the span of this dog's entire life? Is it possible that this dog is about to work or train in some capacity?

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
K7lab, I think you misunderstand or do not respect the power of genetics. I can tell you that there is a difference between a DA bulldog and a DA lab. In my experience, it is easier to move that lab to a point where I can let it out with large packs of dogs in a much shorter span of time. Why? Because they fight for a reason other than the fight itself.

That said, I have had a Pit Bull break out of his crate and into another crate to fight with that dog. That's desire. Had nothing to do with pack structure or not being trained, had everything to do with heart. I have watched dogs lean back on their chain so that it is lax, wait for another dog to get close enough, and then grab hold of that dog and rip it apart.

That said, when you talk about bulldogs and DA and fight drive I think you also need to look at how that dog acts during man work as well as on larger livestock. Gigz is the first dog I have owned who actually enjoys fighting, there is a difference in his DA that I have not had in my personal dogs before. However, he will also fight a bull and gets off on fighting the decoy. IMO, it is all connected.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Being submissive to an owner has little to nothing to do with DA. Being obedient is what changes the game. That said, there were (and are) dogs with numerous pit wins that can be loose with other dogs and not fight. Thats knowing work vs everything else. The same way that I can pull out a detection dog and play but have that same dog go to work for extended periods of time. They cue off of the environment as well as the handler.

The fact is that the winner of a pit contest comes down to many different things. Some lines are bred to stay in the fight for extended periods of time while others are bred to be quick killers. Can you say that quick killer is better than the dog that sticks through a long fight? I don't know. Depends on what you are looking for I guess.

I'm not arguing for or against dog fighting, please understand that. I don't fight my dogs. It's something I know about purely as a breed history I interest.

Knowing Gigz, I could hunt hogs with him around other dogs. It might take a little training, but it could be done. A dog that kills bay dogs, is of no use to a hunter you are right about that.

I completely disagree that the crate and rotate makes his dog aggression worse. He will recall to me when going after another dog (prior to contact) extremely well. He will do a myriad of behaviors off lead around other dogs for me. However, he could kill or create issues with any other working dog I have here if I let him.

For me, there is simply no reason for my dogs to be together. It offers no advantage to me whatsoever. I've actually found that controlled crate and rotate creates a better pack structure than letting all the dogs loose together.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Yeah, it's the guilt. :-s

I'll take whatever excuse I can get.
It's Friday, that's my reason today. Oh yeah, and I got an award. Celebration? Meh, maybe if drunk were not a regular thing for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts