Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm definitely not an expert and just giving my opinion. I'm happy to do that and hear others opinions too.

I know people with dog aggressive pit dogs but they are submissive to there owners and won't fight if there given the word from their owner. That said they will fight if hes not around.

Basically i'm trying to say that even fight dogs aren't all naturally interested in killing their fellow dogs, they are forced into fighting.

All fights take place in a ring surrounded by people so the dog has nowhere to go but fight.

But there will always be dog aggressive pit dogs but from what i've heard its not always the survival of the fittest. A weaker dog can beat a stronger dog when the stronger dog is tired and wounded and lets his guard down. Some dogs are put through many fights and can simply be beating due to too many bouts.

It just comes down to abuse in my eyes at the end of the day.

·
Registered
443 Posts
But yea i get your point on genetics too. I guess the dogs which show greatest interest in fighting are the ones which were breed off in the past. That said when you look at pictures of bull baiting you'll sometimes see dogs working together tackling the bull. That team work must have been important in the past before the pit fights.

Do you think you could bring up a dog like gigz with out separating him from other dogs?

The fact that you always crate or seperate the dogs may feed into the dog aggression IMO

If the dogs were together you would have to deal with some issues you don't need to worry about when they are crated or in separate runs.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Being submissive to an owner has little to nothing to do with DA. Being obedient is what changes the game. That said, there were (and are) dogs with numerous pit wins that can be loose with other dogs and not fight. Thats knowing work vs everything else. The same way that I can pull out a detection dog and play but have that same dog go to work for extended periods of time. They cue off of the environment as well as the handler.

The fact is that the winner of a pit contest comes down to many different things. Some lines are bred to stay in the fight for extended periods of time while others are bred to be quick killers. Can you say that quick killer is better than the dog that sticks through a long fight? I don't know. Depends on what you are looking for I guess.

I'm not arguing for or against dog fighting, please understand that. I don't fight my dogs. It's something I know about purely as a breed history I interest.

Knowing Gigz, I could hunt hogs with him around other dogs. It might take a little training, but it could be done. A dog that kills bay dogs, is of no use to a hunter you are right about that.

I completely disagree that the crate and rotate makes his dog aggression worse. He will recall to me when going after another dog (prior to contact) extremely well. He will do a myriad of behaviors off lead around other dogs for me. However, he could kill or create issues with any other working dog I have here if I let him.

For me, there is simply no reason for my dogs to be together. It offers no advantage to me whatsoever. I've actually found that controlled crate and rotate creates a better pack structure than letting all the dogs loose together.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
old time dogmen from way back when never treated their dogs the way the street thugs do today.. the colby family is the oldest family around with the pit bull breed . old time dog men treated their dogs (losers and winners) with respect.. not like michael vick or the bybs...

some dogs love to fight, some dont. genetics is genetics, you can work with it depending on the dog. and like FP said, some dogs from way back when would be fine loose with the street dogs /house dogs as they knew when to go to work and when it was not work

alot of good info here: Official Pit Bull Site of Diane Jessup

Official Pit Bull Site of Diane Jessup

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I love diane jessup's site. She put things in a way I never understood before back when I wasn't accepting of the history of this breed.

And I agree with you ME that although it may be debatable that historical fighting was humane, I think we can all agree that the way thugs treat the sport is disgusting and inhumane.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have no experience or much knowledge to really comment on this. All i can say is dog fighting is horrible, the majority of people that do it today do it for money. They dont care about the well being of the dog and for that i think they're all BEEP BEEP BEEP. I do not condone it at all! NOT COOL! See i even censored my own words LOL.

On Another note, just to shed a tad bit of light on the Muslim community. My mother is Muslim, that whole side of my family is Muslim... they love dogs, we all love dogs, not just dogs, but animals in general really. There are some dog loving Muslims out there. My grandfather, who is as Muslim as they come (lol) has a gorgeous Siberian Husky that he loves more than anything! Dog is a queen in that house.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I have no experience or much knowledge to really comment on this. All i can say is dog fighting is horrible, the majority of people that do it today do it for money. They dont care about the well being of the dog and for that i think they're all BEEP BEEP BEEP. I do not condone it at all! NOT COOL! See i even censored my own words LOL.

On Another note, just to shed a tad bit of light on the Muslim community. My mother is Muslim, that whole side of my family is Muslim... they love dogs, we all love dogs, not just dogs, but animals in general really. There are some dog loving Muslims out there. My grandfather, who is as Muslim as they come (lol) has a gorgeous Siberian Husky that he loves more than anything! Dog is a queen in that house.
Interesting. I've spoken to a few Muslims before and they said that a dog is considered a dirty creature and they don't believe in owning them. But from what you are saying that sounds like bs...?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Its a very popular religion so you will find it differs depending on the culture.

Just because one catholic doesn't believe in birth control doesn't mean they all do....

reminds me of this lol
Do Dogs Go to Heaven? ? True Story! | #GTH Blog

Two churches across the street from one another fighting about weather dogs go to heaven or not lol, its pretty funny.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Interesting. I've spoken to a few Muslims before and they said that a dog is considered a dirty creature and they don't believe in owning them. But from what you are saying that sounds like bs...?
I'm sure there are some who think they're dirty creatures. No one in our family thinks this way. On the contrary... we love our dogs as we love our children. Now Pigs, pigs are considered a dirty creature and Muslims wont even eat pork because of it.

Like Sarah said.. there are different Muslims. My family is from Syria. I'm sure there are all different opinions...

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Yea I figured. I just remember talking to a girl who explained it to me and she said it's a part of Muslim culture. But I guess she was mistaken.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm Catholic and my mom is Muslim.. i eat pork, just felt like i had to add that in there for some weird reason LOL.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Yeah, it's the guilt. :-s

I'll take whatever excuse I can get.
It's Friday, that's my reason today. Oh yeah, and I got an award. Celebration? Meh, maybe if drunk were not a regular thing for me.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I used the drink everyday but I now I only allow myself to on Fridays and Saturday's. Alcohol can be very fattening. But I basically replaced wine with ice cream during the week. So it's not helping.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Guilt???? 10 minutes in the confessional and we're good!

"Bless me Father for I have sinned.... To save you and I both time, can I just tell you what I hadn't done?"

·
Registered
753 Posts
I dont drink.. liquor burns my damn stomach and i cant get use to the taste of beer at all.

but i am highly addicted to Nicotine & Redbull.. ahhhh good stuffs.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.