Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this because I know a lot of people on here have experienced hives with there dogs. Well, at agility class, on a farm, near a creak, there are a lot of mosquitos. The mosquitos like Abby. I don't know if it's because of the short hair or what but they won't stay away from her and I constantly have to stop her from rolling around in the grass to get away the itchiness. Well the last couple classes she's gotten hives and i've used Benadryl which works well. I also have special mosquito repellent for dogs. Is anyones elses dog allergic to mosquitos? Is it a bully thing or just an Abby thing?

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Dogs/people/animals can be allergic to ANYTHING. My oldest daughter has a HORRIBLE reaction from mosquito bites. Several of my dogs in years past have had awful reactions to even just ONE flea bite.

Sounds like you're taking the right steps to keep it under control. I do know that one of the flea repellants (I think it's K9 Advantix) is also supposed to repel mosquitos.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I'm sure you already know this, but I'll say it anyway just in case someone doesn't: remember that mosquitos carry and transmit heartworm disease, so if anyone is in an area where there are lots of mosquitos, be SURE to keep your dog on HW prevention year-round!

That said, I've never had any of my dogs have that kind of reaction to mosquitos, but I have had several who have severe reactions to fleas, so I guess anything's possible. I, myself, have terrible reactions to mosquito bites, but luckily they are short-lived. Mosquitos are evil little [email protected]$tards!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I do have Abby on Heartgaurd Plus so i'm not too worried about heart worms. But what about West Nile? Is that common in dogs? What about humans?

I'm happy to say that I sprayed some natural mosquito repellent stuff on Abby and it worked way better than the chemical stuff and it wasn't as harsh either. It had citronella and peppermint in it and it worked great on keeping the mosquitoes away from Abby but I can't say that it did that much on me.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.