·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mostly done with bulldogs

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Personally I think it is a good sport and a good way of preserving bulldogs. I would love to go out on a hunt - maybe even someday take a couple dogs of my own. We don't really have an issue with wild pigs yet but they are starting to make more appearances here.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Some people may think it's cruel but I am not against it. Those hogs are a nuisance and the dogs are working dogs.
And I may be wrong but I dont think the hogs were ever native to the area. Just introduced and went rampant.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I don't really have a desire to hunt or kill anything. I went deer hunting before, and it just made me uneasy feeling. I know we have an overpopulation of deer, so they need to be culled, but I just don't want to do it personally. I've never seen wild hogs, and I'm sure they can root around and cause problems but, again, it's just not for me. Also, a wild hog can do some real damage to your dog, if it gets a good shot in. To each, their own.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
T - I think you are right about the hogs not being native. Farmers would keep pigs on farms and others brought boars from Asia, well the boars and pigs would get out and breed and eventually became feral. They are not only a nuisance but they are very dangerous and will attack humans that cross their path.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
T - I think you are right about the hogs not being native. Farmers would keep pigs on farms and others brought boars from Asia, well the boars and pigs would get out and breed and eventually became feral. They are not only a nuisance but they are very dangerous and will attack humans that cross their path.
Very true. I read that Texas just instigated an all out war on them and open hunting season. I know there used to be members here that did hog hunting. I don't have a problem with it. The dogs love doing it and it is in their nature to hunt so why not use their prey drive to do some good. I personally wouldn't do it with my dogs, because I would be afraid they would be hurt and I wouldn't hunt anyway.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol i am with yall... thats what ABD were made for actually...i would love to do it... but i am so afraid my dog would get injured

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
it only takes i think a few weeks for a pig to revert back to being feral , there was a show on nat geo about it and the feral hog problem is really bad in some areas . i have no problem with it as long as the dogs are protected with their kevlar vests and the hogs are killed within a reasonable amount of time when caught. there are way to many hogs out there destroying crops so i am for hog hunting

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I am in total support of hog hunting. It's a great way to test your dogs and to preserve bulldogs and other working breeds. I would take Dylan in a heartbeat.

lol i am with yall... thats what ABD were made for actually...i would love to do it... but i am so afraid my dog would get injured
You can get protective vests and collars for your dog. I actually have one that I am selling. It is a vest with a collar sewn on. the dog is protected from where his jaw meets his neck all the way below his rib cage.

Send me a PM if you are interested in purchasing the one I have for sale. It has never been used.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Well, the music on that video was enough to make me throwup a little in my mouth. I also think that the more ******** put videos up on the internet like this one, the sooner hog hunting with dogs will become illegal. Feral hogs are a problem as are feral cats for an example but, you can not sic your bulldog on cats, at least not "domestic" ones. We hunt big cats with dogs around here but, they are used to "tree" the animal not, maul it. For sure, this particular video doesn't make me want to run out and train my dog to hog hunt. Other than that, I see no problem with hog hunting.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I don't really have a desire to hunt or kill anything. I know we have an overpopulation of deer, so they need to be culled, but I just don't want to do it personally. I've never seen wild hogs, and I'm sure they can root around and cause problems but, again, it's just not for me. Also, a wild hog can do some real damage to your dog, if it gets a good shot in. To each, their own.
My thoughts exactly. I don't see any real problem, other than the danger to to dogs. Too each his own I guess. I'd rather use the dogs to track it and then use a rifle. I just think it's more humane. I'm a butcher and was farm raised, so I certainly have no problem with killing animals for food, but hunting isn't for me anymore I'll still take coyotes and foxes though.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
mmm..now that makes a ton of sense to me. Hunting is not for me but, I'll still take an animal I wouldn't ever concider eating? Or do you eat coyotes and foxes...oh it is a pelt bounty you are talking about.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I posted before without actually watching the video. After watching it, I'm reminded why I sometimes hate living in ******* central. I don't understand the enjoyment of watching your dog rip a hog's guts out. And, make no mistake, these good ol' boys aren't doing it to control the feral hog population. They love watching it. I see retards like this all around down here. They just enjoy killing stuff.

It reminds me how much I like watching those "when animals attack" shows where the tables get turned on some dufus in overalls, and he ends up screaming like a girl. Good luck to you, hogs.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Wow offensive much? I must be an overall wearing, ******* retard because I enjoy hunting - **** hunting to be specific.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I can't see the vid and I'm not a hunter but I did go hunting once two years ago. My wife's family lives in East Texas and they took me while we were out there for Thanksgiving. The guys leading the hunt had bay dogs with radio collars for tracking and they actually used pit bulls to catch the hogs. The pits had kevlar vests but I don't think the bay dogs did. Once the dogs catch a hog and the hunters catch up the hunter kills the hog with a knife and the dogs are pulled off. Then the hog is gutted and the meat is all donated to the poor. I had fun and my 6 and 8 year old step-sons and they had fun too. If we go back out there this year I'm going to ask them to take us on another hunt.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
It cracks me up that people can get so upset over hunting for population control.
These pigs are dangerous to people who cross them, do major damage to farms and the ecological systems where they have been introduced (they are not native), and they carry parasites and disease.

Yep, let's save the pigs and sacrifice some of the work that preserves our beloved bulldogs and hounds. :eyeroll:

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Ha! If this was the first time ever watching a clip on hog hunting I will have to agree that the music and the guy at the end who looked like someone straight out of the movie Deliverance would probably appall me. *
But I did watch something on Discovery or Nat Geo on hog hunting and it showed it in a better light.

*Not saying that hunters need to dress all pretty. But grandpa wasnt the most photogenic!!:p

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Actually, I don't think any of the responses seem like anyone is upset over hunting for population control. My retort was about the picking and chosing what is right to hunt and what is wrong to hunt..kinda like a vegetarian who eats fish. Again, I see nothing wrong with hog hunting but, with vids like that out the "animals rights activists" eventually will see it and have a hay day! Nobody said or is sugesting we "save" the pigs so the bulldogs no longer have that job. I am saying don't portray it like this video with stupid ignorant music lyrics and goobers watching their dogs maul hogs.

·
Registered
908 Posts
mmm..now that makes a ton of sense to me. Hunting is not for me but, I'll still take an animal I wouldn't ever concider eating? Or do you eat coyotes and foxes...oh it is a pelt bounty you are talking about.
Wow, someone must live near Boulder. :rolleyes:
For your information, controlling predators is necessary. I don't hunt because I don't get any pleasure in it. I don't consider it a sport when something dies (or soccer). I have no problem with hunting whatsoever. If anything, I think they should loosen some of the bag limits. Deer are becoming a real problem around here and with no large predators around here they are starting to overpopulate.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts