Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Nice. I would love to know how well it works ;)
Not sure I will ever actually use it. Perhaps if I turn him out where there are large aggressive boars. Or if I hunt him up north where it is a bit cooler. No use for it down here in the heat really.

I have set up a few hunting trips for Dylan and they always get thwarted - by work, by someone not being able to make it, by me getting kinda creeped out by heading out into the deep prairie with a couple ******** I don't even know all by myself. :lol: One day though, one day.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
LOL We don't really have any hogs up here yet but they are making their way. The ***** don't really do enough damage to warrant the need for kevlar protection :lol:

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've never met anyone who hunts hogs with dogs. I have known folks who hunt boar with bows, rifiles, and large caliber handguns. If I wanted to get into boar hunting, I would want to do it with a handgun. I'm not good enough with a bow, so the handgun (I am good with a handgun) would be what I think I would enjoy as the best balance of sport and ethics (ie the need for a quick clean kill). Of course, I would most likely first try it a few times with a high powered rifle and an experienced partner etc before I jumped in and tried it with a handgun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I live in east Texas and hogs are a huge problem. We do hunt them, and we do eat them. For those interested, most people will eat any sow, and the youngest of boars. It's the large boars that you don't want to eat (although they are often given for food as well, to families with less particular tastes, lol.). My point is that feral hogs are delicious when prepared well, and when hunting purely for meat, I'd prefer a hog over a deer.

My bulldogs aren't trained to catch, so I wouldn't use them. But it is a joy to see a good catch dog do his job, and with enthusiasm that borders insanity :D.

There is definitely a risk, even to the dog who is well protected. They tend to get hurt when a boar breaks, and after a long chase ensues (the catch dog normally only sprints a hundred yards or less before the catch.). Sometimes, they miss the initial catch, and the boar will break and run. The bulldog may end up chasing a long distance before squaring off with the pig (saw one run 1.5 miles last year) and the exhausted bulldog gets in a bind (up agains a creek bank or fallen tree) and the larger stronger boar "works them over". In the meantime, the human handlers are frantically scrambling to catch up (through dense woods) because they know the catch dog is at risk...

My wife won't let me work my silly and pampered indoor pets :D

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
As far as I know it is illegal to run deer in the US. The wild hogs in the south are ranging from 500 to 800 pounds. Those are not small. I think there is a record for one weighing close to 1000 pounds.
here in SC driving deer with dogs is legal & very common... many of the hunt clubs only have dog drives. the dogs aren't used as catch dogs just to move the deer towards one of the many "stands" I fr one never saw a lot of fun or sport in that though i also never owned a "deer dog"

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I am all for hog hunting. However this video here is pretty dumb. I've seen the natgeo documentary on it, very interesting. The dog ideally bred for it is the Dogo argentino. The dogs aren't there to cause physical harm, just restrain the hog. It's the human hunter who kills it. There is risk to injury just like all hunting sports.

Here is a better clip, part of the dogs decoded doc;

I love how happy you can see these dogs are. Id love to go out on a hog hunt myself, must be a powerful thing.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I think the Argentina Dogo is an awesome dog, it looks very elegant dog yet holds so much power and agility.

I'd love to go on a hunt just to really see how my dog would act in its true environment in the wild, Living in Cyprus however makes it nearly impossible as we only have rabbits here, and i really cant see my AB keeping up once he has grown up a little, none the less i think it would be a good run out for him with the chase.

·
Legend
5,197 Posts
Living in Cyprus however makes it nearly impossible as we only have rabbits here, and i really cant see my AB keeping up once he has grown up a little, none the less i think it would be a good run out for him with the chase.
Never sell an AB short. An AB can, and will, catch rabbits.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Never sell an AB short. An AB can, and will, catch rabbits.
Well i would certainly put him up to it and see what he's got the reason i had any doubt was because he is not a scot or hybrid he is a Johnson and from what i have read they do not have stamina :) but we shall see. il get some videos up if i can of a chase if it happens :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Those hogs are suffering badly.

I dont see how that can ever be a good thing.

Pest control and the like is one thing; if hogs are spoiling your land and eating your stock then I dont see the problem with eliminating them, but not like this.

Once the dog has got hold of the hog then wouldnt it be more humane to shoot the thing rather than let it suffer like this?? Its a pretty slow, painful way to go.

I know I would be mortified if my dog died a death like this, and hogs although they dont share a bond with us as humans still have a similar threshold to pain as dogs do.
So call me soft but that sort of unjustified pain and suffering is not my cup of tea.

I know there are still a lot of people who have been brought up on farms and for whom this is nothing different than what they have been used to all their lives.
But I would like to think that as time goes on and our environment changes and improves that we no will longer need entertainment in the form of cruelty and suffering to animals.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Well for one hogs have some of the toughest skin you'll ever come across so those dogs aren't really hurting the hog. They are simply holding it until the hunters arrive to kill it. Another thing is if you try to shoot the hog you are guaranteed to hit one of your dogs so that is just idiotic - the dogs hold the hog so someone can stab the hog in the heart. And there vests and other ways to protect dogs out on hunts. I don't know of many hunters who have lost their dogs in a hunt in quite a few years. Sure they get injured but injuries heal.

Yes, it is entertainment for some but these hogs are populating like crazy. They are making their way into people's backyards and destroying property. Hogs are more than just a pest they are invaders who need to be destroyed.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Chris, the dogs aren't killing the hog. Like mstngchIc said they have extremely thick skin. There is technique to how the dogs handle it. Dogs are just holding the hog until the human hunter can kill it with the knife. It's done quickly. Not much worse than how a cow is treated before you enjoy a steak :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Obviously the hunters would call the dog off before opening fire.
I wouldnt expect them to just start opening fire willy-nilly on the hog whilst it had dogs hanging off it; although that really wouldnt surprise me either when you consider some of these morons have the IQ of a blade of grass.

In one of the clips the boar has a large gaping wound in its side and one of the dogs that is on it is tearing into the flesh hanging from the wound.

That coupled with the sound the boar makes to signal it really isnt having a lot of fun being eaten alive should signal to anyone with half a brain, and an iota of conscience, that this is not quite the justified mercy killing it is cracked up to be.

No ones ever going to get me to see the sense in something that should never really have left the dark ages. If I had my choice I would spare the boar and rid the world of the idiot hunters, virtually all gas stations are turning to self service nowadays anyway ;)

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Well for one the dogs are trained to catch and hold the hog not be called off (that's why they are called catch dogs) because if you call the dogs off that hog is A) either going to run OR B) going to go after the hunters and/or dogs. Not something you want because hogs (wild or domesticated) are extremely dangerous.

If you have ever met a pig it will squeal about anything same with hogs. But from the video you are talking about those guys are trying to show what their dogs can do (not that I agree with it) and it is actually encouragement for a couple of the young dogs they were training.

61 - 80 of 124 Posts