Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Well if that really is honestly the most humane way they can come up with of keeping boars off their land then I truely do feel sorry for them for having missed at least one evolutionary step in mankind.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
I'm going to be frank here...who cares? They are boars, not people.
Agreed! And the wild hogs are supposed to be good eatin too ;)

I'd like to add that some how I ended up between a domesticated sow and her piglets... let's just say I have never ran so hard and jumped a fence so fast in my life.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Dude, they are so yummy.
I love hog sausage!!
My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I've never eaten one, but would rather not be killed by one of those monsters! I like my place at the top of the food chain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think it is great. One of the reasons that modern society has as many problems as they do with dogs in the working class is that these dogs no longer have a job!!!

Regardless of what you may believe, your bully could care less about that potpouri in the corner or the "throw me a bone" T-Shirt that he gets to wear around the house.

The genetics embedded in your dog constantly nags them with a desire to do the work of which is natural to their heritage.

A few decades years ago, a much higher percentage of dogs were actually doing the mentally satisfying jobs to which they have been selectively bred to do. Since that time, dogs have slowly moved out of the fields and into the homes and onto the furniture and beds. Basically, collecting an unemployment check in the form of dog kibble and focusing their working drives toward anything that seems to quiet that internal nag. Most dogs don’t know what their true purpose is, but seem to gravitate toward activities that seem to be in the right direction, such as tug-of-war.

These hog dogs are amongst the most satisfied bullies on the planet. A squealing boar vs. a satisfied bully ??? I stand behind the dog any day.

For those that are sympathetic to these wild boars, you obviously have never been to a slaughter house. That bacon you ate this morning did not come from a pig that was put to sleep at a Vets office.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm all for it. The dogs have a job that they love to do. It's what they were made for. Plus, that hog had a better life(and a better death) than the hormone-injected, crap-fed, miserable animals butchered"humanely" in a slaughterhouse so we can buy our nicely packaged pork loin or sausage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm all for it. The dogs have a job that they love to do. It's what they were made for. Plus, that hog had a better life(and a better death) than the hormone-injected, crap-fed, miserable animals butchered"humanely" in a slaughterhouse so we can buy our nicely packaged pork loin or sausage.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I dont buy into that Summer, not one bit.

Whether or not animals are killed humanely for meat is not the issue here.

That they are not treated humanely is wrong and I am not defending that, I would argue that their suffering is unnecessary too but to use that as an argument condoning hogs or any other animal's suffering at the hands of us humans is weak.

For example; is it ok if I break into your house and steal money while you are out?
No. Obviously not.
Well what if I justified it by saying you had it easy as just up the road the people whose house got broken into were in and were robbed at gunpoint?

The issue here is whether its really morally right and humane to set your dogs on a hog and for them to rip pieces out of it prior to it being killed.

I am happy to agree to disagree, it would be naive of me to think that anyone will change their views on something on account of one person on an internet forum. Lol.
But can we at least have some consistency? If you feel its ok for hogs to be killed this way then fine but how would you feel if your dog was put through this prior to being killed.. Would you still not care? Would you still not shed a tear? Come on now FP they are dogs, not people. Right?

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
You don't realize how mean and nasty these hogs are. They will charge and attack people on their own property. So for the few minutes it takes for a hunter to get to the dogs and hog and that hog is "suffering" is fine by me.

Check this out at 2:30 mark:
Those were bow hunters that were killing hogs "humanely" yet they were being charged and could have been severely injured and someone might have been.

·
Registered
938 Posts
That puts it into a fairer light than a lot of the other videos I have seen, thankyou for sharing.

I have said all along I dont have a problem with people looking after their property and doing what has to be done. But whilst doing what has to be done may mean exterminating these creatures, it certainly doesnt extend to causing them unnecessary suffering purely for our own amusement; WHICH IS CLEARLY WHAT HAS BEEN SHOWN IN OTHER VIDEOS and is what I, as an evolved being just cannot agree with or accept as responsible humane behaviour.

sidenote: After that hog killed the 14th dog you would think they would stop setting dogs on him wouldnt you? Doesnt exactly speak volumes for the intelligence of the locals lol.
"That damn hogs gone killed 14 of our dawgs... 'hiccupp' why what we needs to do to stop him is to set more dogs onto that dang bore!!!"

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Personally I would find enjoyment in hunting hogs with dogs - I like seeing dogs work and doing what they were bred for. I enjoy hunting period but that certainly doesn't me make me anything less than a human being. It is entertainment but we also eat pretty much what is killed.

Honestly that hog needs to be killed. That aggression (just like dogs) is passed down to other generations. And I don't know about you but I would want some sort of back up (dogs) to take that hog down because he could just as easily kill a person.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
But can we at least have some consistency? If you feel its ok for hogs to be killed this way then fine but how would you feel if your dog was put through this prior to being killed.. Would you still not care? Would you still not shed a tear? Come on now FP they are dogs, not people. Right?
If my dog were killed on a hunt by a hog, I would be darn proud that my dog had the guts to stick with the fight. Yes, it would suck that I lost my dog and I would be upset.

If a hog kills 14 dogs I wouldn't just stop going after that hog. Imagine what it will say about the dog(s) that finally take that beast down.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Too funny,

After all of this discussion, Fox News reports on the same topic (humm, maybe they read BDB):

FoxNews.com - No Oink About It, Feral Pig Problem Spreading

War is being waged right now across the country -- against huge, ever-growing packs of feral pigs that are running rampant, destroying crops, killing wildlife and spreading disease everywhere they go, the U.S. Department of Agriculture reports.
They’ve been spotted all the way from Texas to California to Michigan and in New York.

“It's estimated there are at least 4 million of them nationwide, but its impossible to count them all so there may be much more” said Carol Bannerman, a spokesman for the USDA Wildlife Services.
Officials say they cause more than $8 million worth of damage every year. “That amount doesn’t include impact to the natural environment and native species, or to water” Bannerman said. One disease humans can get, she said, by coming in contact with the beasts bodily fluids is called "swine brucellosis," and is extremely painful.

Historians think the hogs were first brought by explorers to this country from Spain in the late 1500s. The boars bred and spread -- and have chomped their way across the country ever since, devouring crops and small livestock.

The pigs are most prevalent in the South, where the climate is most conducive. Texas is said to have the largest population.
In Florida, the animals’ numbers are rapidly increasing. Bryan Swanson, of All Star Animal Rescue in St. Petersburg, said his phone has been ringing off the hook lately, as the pigs make their way into neighborhoods and playgrounds.

“Their population is absolutely exploding because their breeding cycle is insane,” Swanson said. “Just six months after being born, the hogs can have a full litter of up to 13 more hogs. They have no natural predators, so there's nothing to stop them.”

Swanson said people have complained about pets being attacked and yards being destroyed. “You can have a beautifully manicured lawn one day and then wake up the next day and its like a bulldozer went through it," he said.

One group that enjoys the growing pork population are hunters.
“A lot of people like to hunt feral swine because the pigs are so intelligent, it’s a lot more challenging to hunt them than, say, deer or bears. They’re considered fun to hunt,” said Mary Dettloff of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.

The state, which is estimated to have about 6,000 wild swine, now has a “shoot on sight order,” which means anyone with any type of hunting license can legally kill a feral pig. In July 2011, it will become legal for a person to shoot a hog that comes onto his property as well, she said.

Although Midwest states like Michigan have a smaller number of swine, the animals are so adaptable they’re able to survive even in harsh winter weather by growing hair on their coats and developing tusks, Dettloff said, so “we expect to see a lot more of them over the next several years.”

Animal rights groups are outraged over what they say is persecution of pigs. Don Anthony, of the Animal Rights Foundation of Florida, said he doesn’t believe the swine are causing all the problems that are claimed. (Blind and ignorant people are a big problem IMHO)

He wants state leaders to “leave them alone or find a way to neuter them to keep their population down,” he said. Since the hogs have been in the United States for five hundred years, they’re “almost natives,” so “we should be used to them by now. Killing them is barbaric and unnecessary,” he said. (This guy is absolutely clueless !!!)

The U.S. Department of Agriculture is taking the problem very seriously. "Because of the impact it has on everything from agriculture to natural resources and humans’ health and safety, its an extremely important problem,” Bannerman said.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know I am new here, but I feel very strong about many points made in this thread. First of all Chris who are you to judge people you have never met? The people in these videos are from a different part of the world, with different beliefs, and from a different culture.
With that being said HUNTERS are the biggest and best CONSERVATIONISTS in the world! I have hunted hog, deer, rabbits, turkeys, and bears, the one thing that is always preached is to make sure I can make a good clear kill shot, and if I can not then I am not to take the shot. There are many reason why this preached one being so we do not have to spend the next two hours tracking the animal; but also, so the animal does not have to suffer for the next two hours.
In the cases of a hunt where dogs are being used we reward are dogs many different ways. One way is by letting them chew on the prey once it has been taken. I am pretty sure that the hogs are dead when they are being chewed on, and if not then they should be. We never let a dog chew on a live animal because it is cruel to the animal, and because of the harm that could come to our dogs. I highly doubt these people would as well.
IMHO "PETA" and people who think as absurd as they do are the worse thing that could have ever happened to any kind of living thing. Population has to be controlled and I believe that the way things are being handled in the hogs case is the best way for the hog, are dogs (whom love their job), and for us as Humans.
My APBT is only a few months old, but I want to start training him very soon. I am looking forward to some fun times with him in the field. BTW we also eat everything that we kill.

·
Registered
745 Posts
A great thread with many interesting views, i agree that alot of the videos portray Hog Hunting in a crueller light, the most recent of which does help to balance that slightly, but its healthy and interesting debate to see how views vary. I find myself agreeing with chris's input 100%.

Josh, whilst i respect your input also, i don't think Chris has pinpointed a specific person, merely highlighting what the video portrays. I think anyone is able to judge the view or opinion of anyone if they don't agree.
Just as someone may be brought up PROhunting others may be brought up ANTIhunting (irrelevant of if its humane or not), just as some people are Racist and other are not, or some are sexist or others are not.
If i met a racist i would disagree with their POV and that outlook on life because its not something i agree with, just as someone will do the same if they disagree with people who hunt in a fashion they consider inhumane. What im saying is don't take it personally if you think the people chris has described are somewhat similar to the way you may think you are.

Edit; may i add i agree hunters are required to maintain the amounts of lots of different overbreeding animals, and in most cases do a good job. But i think there are still better way to do the job apposed to what most of these videos highlight.

·
Registered
826 Posts
A great thread with many interesting views, i agree that alot of the videos portray Hog Hunting in a crueller light, the most recent of which does help to balance that slightly, but its healthy and interesting debate to see how views vary. I find myself agreeing with chris's input 100%.

Josh, whilst i respect your input also, i don't think Chris has pinpointed a specific person, merely highlighting what the video portrays. I think anyone is able to judge the view or opinion of anyone if they don't agree.
Just as someone may be brought up PROhunting others may be brought up ANTIhunting (irrelevant of if its humane or not), just as some people are Racist and other are not, or some are sexist or others are not.
If i met a racist i would disagree with their POV and that outlook on life because its not something i agree with, just as someone will do the same if they disagree with people who hunt in a fashion they consider inhumane. What im saying is don't take it personally if you think the people chris has described are somewhat similar to the way you may think you are.

Edit; may i add i agree hunters are required to maintain the amounts of lots of different overbreeding animals, and in most cases do a good job. But i think there are still better way to do the job.

Couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I realize some of those feral hogs need killing. I have no problem with that. All kind of animal populations get out of control and need to be culled. But, at one point in the video it looked like one of the dogs was ripping the guts out of the hog. I just don't like to see anything suffer. I don't care what it is.
AGREED 100% ...The video kinda bothered me to watch... The hog was trying to kick and get away while it was being bit and torn open. :( I know it's just nature but it's still sad to watch anything suffer.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts