Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I just saw a preview for The Wild Within tonight on Travel channel. It looks like he is going pig/boar hunting with pits. I am going to try to watch it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I live in "suburbia" and the biggest pest we have around here is rabbits and the occassional fox. I found this fascinating and now have a better idea of what you guys mean when you say "working dog" (though I know there are other sorts of work as well) I couldnt view either of the videos on here so went on youtube for myself. I saw a video of pups being trained - chasing a little pig etc etc. For anyone involved in this could you tell me do you train the dogs to bite a specific area or do they bite where-ever they want? As I said this has fascinated me and I have a million and 1 ??? lol Over here we cull kangaroos but it is usually by helicopter and gun. Thanks :)

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
I live in "suburbia" and the biggest pest we have around here is rabbits and the occassional fox. I found this fascinating and now have a better idea of what you guys mean when you say "working dog" (though I know there are other sorts of work as well) I couldnt view either of the videos on here so went on youtube for myself. I saw a video of pups being trained - chasing a little pig etc etc. For anyone involved in this could you tell me do you train the dogs to bite a specific area or do they bite where-ever they want? As I said this has fascinated me and I have a million and 1 ??? lol Over here we cull kangaroos but it is usually by helicopter and gun. Thanks :)
I think most of us find Kangaroos hopping around to be very fasinating ;) I live in the city and we don't have any boars, just allot of beggars :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
If my dog was big enough to take down a hog I would let him out of the truck to get a hog. But even though he is rather FAST and really aggressive for an EBDG, I don't think he would stand a chance against a full grown hog.

The German Shepherd and German SH Pointer I plan on getting, however, would be perfect for hog hunts.

And yes, Texas has declared war on feral hogs. My county in Texas was offering a cash reward for whoever killed the most hogs for the year.

And FYI, it takes MUCH more than a dog to take down a hog. I have personally unloaded half a magazine into a male hog and he still insisted in charging me.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
If my dog was big enough to take down a hog I would let him out of the truck to get a hog. But even though he is rather FAST and really aggressive for an EBDG, I don't think he would stand a chance against a full grown hog.

The German Shepherd and German SH Pointer I plan on getting, however, would be perfect for hog hunts.

And yes, Texas has declared war on feral hogs. My county in Texas was offering a cash reward for whoever killed the most hogs for the year.

And FYI, it takes MUCH more than a dog to take down a hog. I have personally unloaded half a magazine into a male hog and he still insisted in charging me.
Where did you shoot the hog that it was able to keep charging you?

I am also curious why you think a GSD and GSP would make perfect hog dogs? (not sure if you are referring to a mix of these 2 or 2 separate dogs-although it doesn't really matter)

Where do you get your information and if they are such good candidates then why do all the serious hog hunters use APBT's and/or AB's as their catch dogs? I know of several hog hunters down south and that is all they use..

BTW what is a EBDG?? I am not familiar with that abbreviation.

·
Registered
356 Posts
For some reason I keep finding myself on this topic ( a sadistic morbid fascination or general curiousity??) reading and re-reading. Having only ever owned pet aka fur children type dogs I think it is wonderful to see a dog doing what it has been bred to do. Cant see Newman or CoCo taking down a bull lol. I dont know how to multi quote so please bear with me.
1. Bodazafa - talks about a big racoon. Are they really bad? I visited the states when I was 10 and went to Yosemite and saw a racoon. IMO they are so cute = dumb aussie who dont know s**t. lol And there are dogs trained to catch these like the pigs?
2. Paulnzeus "if a dog cant perform a task that it was bred for should we breed them as a pet" I have 2 british bulldogs that originally were bred to catch bulls. My guys cant even catch a ball. Should they not exist?
3. Forever pit - love the pictures of Dylan in his flak jacket. Told hubby all about it. Great looking dog. And I like you would be very proud if my dog took down a pig if thats what he was bred to do.
4. Tina - the video you put up of Dogo Argentino, I couldnt view it here. Also, unfortunately that is another breed that is illegal here.
5. Someone said something about running deer. Does that mean the dogs catch them like pigs?
6. Finally, someone said something about bears. Can dogs take down a bear?
Your wildlife, feral or otherwise is fascinating. Only thing I have to try and kill here is mice and I have 2 cats that do that for me lol. Please forgive all the stupid questions.....just really curious. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Racoons carry lots and lots of diseases, including rabies. They go into your garbage cans to feed and create a mess, they have also been known to attack dogs. They are pests.

·
Legend
5,197 Posts
For some reason I keep finding myself on this topic ( a sadistic morbid fascination or general curiousity??) reading and re-reading. Having only ever owned pet aka fur children type dogs I think it is wonderful to see a dog doing what it has been bred to do. Cant see Newman or CoCo taking down a bull lol. I dont know how to multi quote so please bear with me.
1. Bodazafa - talks about a big racoon. Are they really bad? I visited the states when I was 10 and went to Yosemite and saw a racoon. IMO they are so cute = dumb aussie who dont know s**t. lol And there are dogs trained to catch these like the pigs?
2. Paulnzeus "if a dog cant perform a task that it was bred for should we breed them as a pet" I have 2 british bulldogs that originally were bred to catch bulls. My guys cant even catch a ball. Should they not exist?
3. Forever pit - love the pictures of Dylan in his flak jacket. Told hubby all about it. Great looking dog. And I like you would be very proud if my dog took down a pig if thats what he was bred to do.
4. Tina - the video you put up of Dogo Argentino, I couldnt view it here. Also, unfortunately that is another breed that is illegal here.
5. Someone said something about running deer. Does that mean the dogs catch them like pigs?
6. Finally, someone said something about bears. Can dogs take down a bear?
Your wildlife, feral or otherwise is fascinating. Only thing I have to try and kill here is mice and I have 2 cats that do that for me lol. Please forgive all the stupid questions.....just really curious. Thanks. :)
Yes, dogs can take down bears. Youtube it.

As for whether or not a bulldog can run down a deer. Never say never. Bulldogs can be pretty determined

Raccoon can be pretty nasty critters. I say let the dogs have '
em. Though there are better breeds suited fir this a bulldog can easily dispatch a **** should it decide too.

As for Pauls comment. I agree for the most part. I also think breeding of EB type bulldogs should stop. One only needs to read the health section here to determine that something terribly wrong happened with this breed.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes, dogs can take down bears. Youtube it.

As for whether or not a bulldog can run down a deer. Never say never. Bulldogs can be pretty determined

Raccoon can be pretty nasty critters. I say let the dogs have '
em. Though there are better breeds suited fir this a bulldog can easily dispatch a **** should it decide too.

As for Pauls comment. I agree for the most part. I also think breeding of EB type bulldogs should stop. One only needs to read the health section here to determine that something terribly wrong happened with this breed.
Humans happened to this breed. I watched a documentary on youtube called "Dogs 101" : English Bulldog that says todays bulldog (ie. my guys) are 100% man made. There is nothing that looks like this naturally, everything has been modified so badly from what it was originally. We did a lot of research before getting Newman mainly re health issues, Had I been better educated (most of the knowledge I have has come from this forum) I wouldnt have got him. Not saying I dont idolise my boy but have now had my eyes opened to things I never knew about. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
I have hunted game birds n the midwest for the last 45 years and I have owned several GSP dogs. A feral hog would have done deadly damage to all of my bird dogs. These dogs are bred to cover distance, find,point , and retrieve game birds. There is a reason why the AB and similar breeds are used to hunt these critters. I have a vivid memory of one of my GSP dogs getting his butt kicked by an average sized raccoon. People should not take ***** lightly. A big one is a formidable opponet for any dog.Those hog hunting videos are interesting to watch but making the decision to actually hunt your dog should not be taken lightly. Dogs are injured in this type of hunting almost every day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I keep re-visiting this subject waiting for local Hawaiians to chime in. Pig hunting is huge here and if you have ever visited any of the islands you know that pig and spam are cultural favorites! The pig dogs that I have seen have all been suited up in kevlar and had gps trackers on them. They have two different types of dogs in the pack - the trackers and the grabbers. The trackers are typically either hound mixes or catahoula lepoard dogs and the grabbers are pits/AB's. I haven't been lucky enough to go on a hunt but I have to say that every pack I have seen coming back are all happy, muddy and are grinning from ear to ear. Not only do they get to work but they sometimes get the added bonus of dragging the dead pigs back to the trucks!

I am a huge animal person and of course hate to see animals suffer (I cringe watching lions and crocs kill!) but I really don't think the hogs suffer for more than a few minutes. Like many have posted before they don't rip the hog to shreds but rather grab and hold. These hogs are very aggressive and fight back by biting and slashing the dogs. Don't feel sorry for them - they are warriors themselves! They are also destroying the islands because they have no predators and live in paradise year round.

I'm all for it, especially after I came face to face with a huge hog when I stopped to take a picture of a mongoose that hangs out by the dump. The hog came out of the deep grass, saw me and charged. Thank God, there was a chain link fence between us. They are scary!

I will agree somewhat about the "*******" comments. Being from a farm in Oklahoma I know the cooter lifestyle well (in fact my brothers would fit that stereotype perfectly lol) and the hillbillies are definitely going to be the ones to get it made illegal! Whenever you have ********, camo, beer, weapons and a videocamera all in the same place.... well, enough said! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have hunted game birds n the midwest for the last 45 years and I have owned several GSP dogs. A feral hog would have done deadly damage to all of my bird dogs. These dogs are bred to cover distance, find,point , and retrieve game birds. There is a reason why the AB and similar breeds are used to hunt these critters. I have a vivid memory of one of my GSP dogs getting his butt kicked by an average sized raccoon. People should not take ***** lightly. A big one is a formidable opponet for any dog.Those hog hunting videos are interesting to watch but making the decision to actually hunt your dog should not be taken lightly. Dogs are injured in this type of hunting almost every day.
X2

My old GSP would get his ass handed to him if he took on a feral hog. I won't even get into how bad a raccoon can damage your dog.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
i will agree somewhat about the "*******" comments. Being from a farm in oklahoma i know the cooter lifestyle well (in fact my brothers would fit that stereotype perfectly lol) and the hillbillies are definitely going to be the ones to get it made illegal! whenever you have ********, camo, beer, weapons and a videocamera all in the same place.... Well, enough said! :)
lmao!!!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Feral hogs are pretty dangerous and a major nuisance. Hog hunting is definitely needed to keep the population in check, they aren't natural to this land.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am from South Texas. We actually run an all inclusive deer hunting ranch. Our venue includes lodging meals, even guns and ammo if need. We have a conservation program and have even started a co-op with our neighbors. Oh, and we have a prairie / wetlands project too. Originally our goal was to restore and keep the natural habitat and ecosystem. We have biologist that come out and survey the land. We also keep track of any deer killed and record age weight and other specifics. A few years back we started tinkering with night vision and thermal imaging devices (just for fun). The wild hog situation has become so bad over the past few years. They literally cause THOUSANDS of dollars of damage OVERNIGHT!! My boyfriend has a beloved champion Retriever and I have my beloved monkey Bull Terrier. There is no way we would ever use our pets to assist in a hog kill. But we have started selling hunts using the night vision devices. Guest come out, mount them on their weapons and go out for a guided night stalk. They can kill as many hogs as they want for less much less than a trophy deer. This has barely put a ding in the problem but the guest like the whole tactical night hunting. I have been out with neighbors and their dogs on a dog hunt. It is something else!! I can say that I am against some of these ******* Texans hunting with unprotected dogs. Some of these wild hogs are 300 lbs. It's like going in to battle. Grown men gear up and I believe they should gear up their dogs too. Even though many of the breeds they are using for the hunts were created for this and have the natural instinct they should have some sort of defense. It is tough work and not all sport and games!!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
What a thread!! It's funny, because there are starting to be sightings of feral hogs in southern Iowa now, (and it is actually illegal for a hunter to see a hog, and not kill it) anyway, it was a total coincidence that I heard about this like the day after I got my pup. Really makes me want to see what he can do with a hog.

I know that you will never see a happier dog than a Brittany with a bird hanging out of it's mouth, so I can just imagine what a bulldog would be like on a hog hunt. I bet it is awesome.

On the racoon not, I can't wait till Kyle is bigger, and has all of his shots, so I can introduce him to some of the racoons in the neighborhood. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
cool

I think it is pretty cool. Though I could not send my family pet after a dangerous animal , but working dogs are another story.

My border collie/retriever mix was chasing a bear all over my yard. Back and forth like a cartoon. Then I got nervous and called him off but he already tree'd the bear.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts