Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
121 - 124 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
ok so i guess i'll add my two cents to this. regardless of your opinion with regards to the actual hog hunting, remember that this is one of the big things that makes the ab the dog we love. kind of like fighting made pits the smart and determined dogs they are today. personally i think hog hunting is an amazing test for these dogs. my american is a hell of a runner to and i have seen him attempt to run down deer, thankfully he has a really good recall. he's taken out birds, rabbits, and squirells my boy can beat cheeks when he wants to. these dogs will hunt or chase just about anything it seems so if i had hogs around here and lots of cut gear i'd do it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, the music on that video was enough to make me throwup a little in my mouth. I also think that the more **** put videos up on the internet like this one, the sooner hog hunting with dogs will become illegal. Feral hogs are a problem as are feral cats for an example but, you can not sic your bulldog on cats, at least not "domestic" ones. We hunt big cats with dogs around here but, they are used to "tree" the animal not, maul it. For sure, this particular video doesn't make me want to run out and train my dog to hog hunt. Other than that, I see no problem with hog hunting.
Feral pigs are a huge problem here in California, any many places in the U.S.
I dont think the comparison to feral cats was to good. Big difference in animals there. And also the comment about the dogs mauling the pigs? Well if by chance the dogs do get the better of the pig, then that's there reward. But in so many instances its the hogs mauling the dogs. The idea is for the dogs to track the pigs, and alert the hunter to there location, similar to bear and mtn lion hunting. Then to hold the pig there until the hunter gets there. If the hunter doesn't get there in time the dogs natural instinct is to fight to the end with its prey. Sometimes the dogs come out on top, and sometimes not. My point is, working dogs have been used for this type of hunting for centuries, they love to do it and get the same enjoyment from it as their owners. Plus the hogs are causing the farmers and ranchers lots of trouble from erosion and crops getting decimated. Any of you that have seen a field or hillside where a group of wild boar have passed thru know what I'm talking about. I see wild boar hunting as a big win win

·
Super Moderator
16,003 Posts
Feral pigs are a huge problem here in California, any many places in the U.S.
I dont think the comparison to feral cats was to good. Big difference in animals there. And also the comment about the dogs mauling the pigs? Well if by chance the dogs do get the better of the pig, then that's there reward. But in so many instances its the hogs mauling the dogs. The idea is for the dogs to track the pigs, and alert the hunter to there location, similar to bear and mtn lion hunting. Then to hold the pig there until the hunter gets there. If the hunter doesn't get there in time the dogs natural instinct is to fight to the end with its prey. Sometimes the dogs come out on top, and sometimes not. My point is, working dogs have been used for this type of hunting for centuries, they love to do it and get the same enjoyment from it as their owners. Plus the hogs are causing the farmers and ranchers lots of trouble from erosion and crops getting decimated. Any of you that have seen a field or hillside where a group of wild boar have passed thru know what I'm talking about. I see wild boar hunting as a big win win
Although I understand the problem, I would also imagine that seeing dogs ripped apart by wild boar is pretty devastating, also - or at least it should be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't really have a desire to hunt or kill anything. I went deer hunting before, and it just made me uneasy feeling. I know we have an overpopulation of deer, so they need to be culled, but I just don't want to do it personally. I've never seen wild hogs, and I'm sure they can root around and cause problems but, again, it's just not for me. Also, a wild hog can do some real damage to your dog, if it gets a good shot in. To each, their own.
I'm a big animal lover and thought hunting was terrible but now I'm looking into rat hunting for my high prey drive BC and husky rescue mix I think if it benefits the dog it should be done especially with Pits or any terriers that enjoy hunting or any dogs really with prey drive or love chasing animals.

121 - 124 of 124 Posts