Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an eb he had hot spots about 3 weeks ago i took him to the vet and got antibiotics,pre and gentocin (spray) the spots went awayand he started growing his hair real slow now his getting them again do u guys think i should take him back to the vet? or try this ointment i read about in this forum called nu-stock? has anyone tried this

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I bought that stuff online. Chico had mange pretty badly so I bought it just in case he ever started to flare up again. I've never used it, it's just sitting in my medicine cabinet, I should send it to you! :lol: It's pretty stinky, but it's probably worth a try. I have a hollistic book that says you can make a paste out of baking soda and water and put that on the hot spot to try and soothe the skin. I put that on Chico When he gets rashes and it helps a lot. You have to leave it on for about 5 mins. and then wash it off. Make sure your dogs doesn't lick it off.

Here's a link also for hotspot spray. It's all natural. http://www.earthanimal.com/acatalog/veterinarians_best_hot_spot_itch_relief_spray.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nu Stock

I ordered it online. Google it for online retailers. It was either $10/$12 for the jar of it, but the jar is really good sized and a little bit of this stuff goes a long way. I used it on my EB in late spring/early summer after she had a bunch of spots where she'd lost hair as well as on the itchy spots on her feet. I bathed her first, then applied the ointment where necessary. It is a bit messy (and does smell a bit), but once it dries you can brush off the excess so it doesn't get on your carpeting, etc. I saw nearly instant results in that she was no longer itching/biting her legs and the hair regrowth rate was really good. Plus, any red/irritated areas cleared up after the first application. I use it on an as-needed basis on her and seems to work wonderfully. Good luck.

At the same time I started with the Nu Stock I also switched her food (thanks to the Sticky on this forum I realized I'd been feeding her crap!). She's now on Nutro, but I'm researching the higher grade foods (Canidae, Solid Gold, etc) as I want her on the best food I can afford for her. I also add The Missing Link, Lipiderm and a dollop of yogurt to her meals with the occassional Benedryl tablet thrown in on her really itchy days (not too many of those lately). Her coat has come back beautifully - it's regained its shine and looks so much healthier now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i purchased nu-stock already heidi from ebay i paid almost $20.00 for it i hope it works on him. do u think i should change the food his been on royal canine for a long time (i am the second owner)

·
Registered
44 Posts
well, i have never used royal canine and do not know how it is rated. but if you have him on a certain food and his body agrees with it, there really is no need to switch. unless these "hot spots" you are talking about really are "food allergies" instead. that is when you need to make a switch and/or consult the vet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hot Spots

Regarding Royal Canine for your EB, I had mine on it for a while and she did really well on it, though not so much that I noticed a dramatic difference between the Royal Canine and the Nutro she's currently on. I believe there's a Sticky that rates the foods and RC is rated very well. Nutro is, too, though I'm considering a switch to either Canidae or Solid Gold. I did a test run of 50/50 Canidae and Nutro and she had, um, "soft serve" bowels really badly, so I went back to Nutro and the problem resolved itself. I know switching food can cause this, but it's never happened before, so I think the Canidae was too high in protein. I'm going to wait a few days and try a 50/50 with Solid Gold and Nutro to see how she transitions onto that. I was able to get quite a large sampling of both brands from my local pet supply warehouse at no cost, so it was a free try before you buy, which was nice.

Good luck with the hot spots. I hope the Nu Stock works as well for you as it did for us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.