Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Houdini did not escape!

Mo was reintroduced to the crate today. Overall he did well.

It is the first time since all of the escape attempts that I have kept him in there for a whole 8 hours. He tried though. I have the new horse mat in there, I put a blanket over the crate to make it den like, and he got an assortment of chew toys and he got CBS all day. Also I set up the camera again.

The camera could only record thirty minutes of video. Of course with the kongs and stuff he licked his toys for 29 minutes, then the fun started.

Here is the last minute of video and shows why I am a little concerned about his dental health being crated. My downstairs neighbor said he barked for about thirty minutes, then was quiet for the rest of the day.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iNYUtzKlts

My question for the vets: Is his trying to escape going to pass now that he is not getting out? What else can I do?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, this was acutally better than the last time I recorded him.

I am sure there is medication that they can give him, but I don't really want to go that route unless it is required.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
He looks like he is getting anxious and wanted out like a person
inside an elevator. Is there a possiblility that he may be claustrophobic.
That may sound silly, but I have seen dogs that do not like being in small
spaces but want room to move. I had a Huskie for a short time and all that
dog did was pace back and forth because it could not stand to be inside. It had
the biggest need to be outside which is the reason I could not keep the dog. I
could not leave the dog outside unattended while I was at work and he could not
tolerate being inside. Another thought would be to try putting the blanket over
the front door so he cannot see out. This does calm alot of dogs down.
Poor baby needs hugs.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
God that is hard to watch - because i KNOW Mags does the same thing - and probably worse because of how she cuts her face. AS far as his teeth are concerned - even if you bought an airline crate he would still be able to put his teeth on the bars like that. I think that now that Mags realizes she cannot get out - she doesn't fight it so much - at least that is my hope.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Houdini 2

Yeah I have an airline crate for mine...15 minutes in it and she cracked it appart and chewed all the plastic...I don't know how she does it but she does. So, thank god she stopped doing bad things in the house. She has full run of the house since she was about 2 and hasn't seen her crate in 2 full years!!! good luck...just have patience and know at least he is safe in there...until he breaks out of course LOL

·
Registered
722 Posts
Have you thought about getting him a bigger crate? We got our dogs the biggest one you can buy and they have plenty of room to roam around, so as not to feel so "pent up", lol.
What's the temperature in the room when you're gone? I thought I saw him panting, so he might be trying to get out because he's hot.
Also, if we leave ANYTHING over the top of their crates or near it, they will pull it through and destroy it. I'm surprised Mo hasn't done that yet with the blanket on top.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Today seemed a tiny bit better, but he still tried to get out. I don't think he tried to get out of the top at least, which counts for something. As for the blanket, he did pull it through the day I took the vid. No blankey today. As for the temp, it is not hot in my apartment. The air is on 79 all day and he is right below the vent. The panting is due to anxiety. The crate is very large for him, in fact it was the largest one I could buy. He has lots of room to move around, the video is deceiving. I am afraid I would have the same results as 'pitbullmaster' if I tried the plastic crate.

He did pull at the bottom of the crate again. It was wired shut, but the wires are bent in where he has been working at it.

If he is claustrophobic, wouldn't the blanket all the way around make it worse?

·
Registered
162 Posts
No joke

I had the crate with no bottom..cause she ate the tray...I used to put a blanket in there...one day i came home and she flipped the cage over and came out the bottom holes. I could not even believe with her size that she fit through there. I couldn't believe it but..sure enough when I started getting upset with her..she went right back in front of me. I was schocked...so that is why we got the airliner..figured no open bottom. But then she chewed the sides inside until she could pry the airliner apart. I can't believe mine..some honestly never adjust. She pulled my carpets to strands from inside the cage too. I have chunks missing everywhere LOL. She always hated her crate. But she never learned how to escape it until she was about 1 years old. I need one of the stainless steel ones with a steel tray LOL I looked up heavy duty cages for dogs one day and they were upwards of 400 dollars for one crate..now when I look back the carpet is gonna cost me a whole lot more :violent1:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are smart aren't they? They sound the same. Mo didn't try to get out til after he was a year old. Once he found out he could get out, he hasn't given up.

That sucks about the carpet. Mo chewed the corner off the couch that sits against the crate. Oh well at least it is the cheap couch.

Do you have any links for sturdier crates? I posted the one from leerburg, but it was $569!!! Yours sound a little more affordable.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Legend does the same thing. He's almost tipped his crate over a couple of times going nuts inside. He also rams the front door of his crate. And screams for about 45minutes-hour. I've tried the cover over the crate and he tries to pull the cover in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Really strong crate!

My boyfriend has made a crate for one of our AB's and is making one for my other guy. It's frame is made of 1/4 inch steel. The sides are made of the same steel that hog traps are made of. Very strong! The top and bottom are made of a traffic sign blown down from last years hurricanes. The door has steel hinges and is held closed with a padlock. Everywhere metal touches metal there is a weld. It's heavy but it's secure!
After the fight they had when the store bought crates wouldn't hold them in, I'm not taking any chances!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Really strong crate!

Pamelar666 said:
My boyfriend has made a crate for one of our AB's and is making one for my other guy. It's frame is made of 1/4 inch steel. The sides are made of the same steel that hog traps are made of. Very strong! The top and bottom are made of a traffic sign blown down from last years hurricanes. The door has steel hinges and is held closed with a padlock. Everywhere metal touches metal there is a weld. It's heavy but it's secure!
After the fight they had when the store bought crates wouldn't hold them in, I'm not taking any chances!
That sounds like what I need! Does he take orders?:lol:

Well actually I am starting to win. He got some crate time while we were on vacation at the lake house. He got out of the gf's crate no problem. I went to their hardware store and found these great clips used for boating lines.

Look at his little Fort Knox. He did not get out after this. The clips were very sturdy and had less play than the caribiners.

LOL I could have used more!

Spoiled much? Look at all the stuff he gets while in the crate.

That Kong is stuffed with the finest organic peanut butter (that's all we had there) and kibble.

I just made another video of him crated in his home crate. He goes straight for the clips. He is so smart. He knows exactly where the resistance is and targets the problem. Good thing he hasn't figured out how to open them though. He didn't seem to try to work at it as long so hopefully this is progress.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts

cannon said:
He goes straight for the clips. He is so smart. He knows exactly where the resistance is and targets the problem. Good thing he hasn't figured out how to open them though.
Good thing he's not a parrot. Padlocks..... :lol:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

augrad said:
cannon said:
He goes straight for the clips. He is so smart. He knows exactly where the resistance is and targets the problem. Good thing he hasn't figured out how to open them though.
Parrots could get them open?

·
Registered
7,413 Posts

cannon said:
augrad said:
cannon said:
Parrots could get them open?
Oh, yeah. Those clips, quick links, carabiners, you name it. The only thing he can't get open is a padlock, so there are two on his cage. The keys have to be stored away from the cage, because he will steal them.

And now he has just thrown my mouse off my desk and is chewing up a bill. One pound holy terror! :roll:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts