Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
641 Posts
Knomad said:
Ok, im normally good at this but my Pit lady has me stumped right now.

The macho Moto is very good, cries to get out and shows great progress. He is well on his way to being 100% trained. At 5 months hes doing just fine.

Kaya on the otherhand is a nightmare. She has decided that making teeny tiny pees all over the place is order of the day and im running low on ideas to persuade her otherwise. Im not into smacking them, only now have I resorted to sitting her down in front of them and speaking firmly to her on the ill conceived locations of her little puddles. Im sure she does it to spite sometimes!

Does anyone have any new ideas, tricks or techniques to try and dissuade my little lady from piddling and pooping where and when she wants.

The irony is there are no two more regularly walked or excercised dogs. We stay right beside the park and they go out so often its unreal. The problem seems to be purely mental as opposed to physically needing to pee, she simply WANTS to!!
Frequent small pees might indicate a UTI. Speak to your vet.

Sitting her down infront of her pee and speaking firmly to her is about as effective as someone speaking another language to you LOUDLY and SLOWLY.

Paula

· Registered
641 Posts
It is anthropomorphic of you to think that this dog is doing this to spite you or to prove a point. Let that go. View her as a dog, not as some vengeful human in a dog suit, and houstraining will become a lot less difficult. If she is soiling in the house then she doesn't understand yet that she should not. Until such time she should not be left unsupervised. If she has an opportunity to soil it's your fault not hers. If you catch her in the act scoop her up and take her outside. Scolding might just as easily teach her to hide where she pees as anything else. Teach her a potty word (for instance first thing after waking her bladder is full - take her to the appropriate place, use the potty word and by repetition of this action, create a conditioned response (like pavlov's dogs) so that ultimately she'll potty on command).

Paula

· Registered
641 Posts
"Why should I need a crate when a dog can be trained well without it."

Cuz she's not getting trained without it. One of the things crating makes much easier is potty training because each time she gets to soil in the house you're training her to soil in the house as effectively as training her not to soil in the house.

Look - take your ego out of training this dog. She's not doing it to spite you, we're not trying to show you up. Approach training with humility and an open mind and it becomes so much clearer and more logical and straightforward.

So far you've said;

my dog is not housetrained
I think it's spite.
thanks for your advice but I'm not taking it even though Iasked because I am sure I know why my dog is not housetrained.
no I won't crate because I don't think it's necessary.
by the way my dog is pissing in the house - how do I fix that? Any ideas?

Ya okay then.
Paula

· Registered
641 Posts
"Approach training with humility and an open mind"

Means exactly that. I have found that when we take failure personally (like the dog is pissing in the house to spite me) ego gets in the way of training. It colors our perception of what is motivating the behavior, and it makes it hard for us to learn from others. I'm just trying to share with you some of my own experiences in dog training. I find for myself that I'm continually learning from other trainers and other trainer's experiences - see my signature? It's something Peter C said once that I found inspiriational and borrowed it because it was useful.

So I'm not being 'shirty' whatever that means. I thought I was being helpful. But hey - backing away slowly and not making eye contact dude.

Paula

· Registered
641 Posts
I didn't think you were rude but I do think you're cocky. You have a lot of opinions for someone who can't get his bitch to stop pissing in the house. I was just reading your treatise to Peter C about how he's irresponsible and inexperienced with regards to his pits -which by the way are American Bulldogs.

If you were a dog I'd say you're a belligerent beta. You want to be alpha but you don't have the balls.

You're starting to get on my damned nerves so I'm walking away.
Paula

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.