Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
griffin is about 4 months old. i understand that he may not be fully housetrained until 5 or 6 months old or even more. but i want to make sure i am going about the training correctly.

i do use a crate. he will not soil the crate at night or when i am out during the day. i take him outside at all the designated times: after waking up, eating, playing. he'll go potty outside and then pee in the house anywhere from 10-45 minutes later. when we are inside, i keep him in the room i am in and usually catch him in the act. i put his leash on and take him outside, but he won't finish. we come back inside and he'll do it all over again.

he hardly poops in the house anymore, as i have gotten his pooping schedule down pretty well. but he is peeing in the house all the time! should i keep him in the crate more often? i can't imagine taking him out more often as sometimes it is only 15 minutes since our last outting... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ive read that if they are doing it in front of you that you are half way there, so thats a positive I guess...

Are you completly getting rid of the smell inside - maybe Griffin can still smell it? (Only a suggestion because believe me Im not expect)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am interested if there are any more suggestions out there, i am having the same problem with Penny. Oddly enough, she will pee in her create from time to time, and she doesnt seem to mind laying in it either.. So we take lots of baths!
Any one?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
If you cant keep all eyes on the pup crate him this way there will be no accidents

You seem to be doing fine, letting out first thing in the am, after eating, playing, nap, drinking and so on.
I let Buster out every 15 minutes just to keep up with him and when he would be let out I say " Outside"
which is the word he knows for potty and give treats when he does go and make a big fuss to show him he did good.

Also with Buster he wasnt a barker so if we were not in the room and he was at the door we couldnt tell when he had to go so someone on here suggested I try bell training which worked like a charm and he picked up on it in one day and has been house broken since.I went to the craft store bought lots of bells med size and hung them from a rope which we attatched to the wood trim of our front and back door and in his crate.When it was time to let him outside I took his paw and rung the bells ( I hung them at paw / nose height ) and said outside and would then take him out and I did this all day and that night he was ringing the bells himself to be let out.The best thing I was ever told and ever did :wink:

Buster was 5 months when fully house broken :D

Good luck, you will get there or should I say he will get there
Just have to keep on top of them and use what works

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Fish, do you have an unfenced yard? Teaching your dog to eliminate on command and on a leash is VERY useful. Start with saying 'go potty' or whatever you want to say so not to be embarrassed <G> over and over and over again while hes sniffing around. When he does eliminate, make a HUGE deal out of it. Eventually you will be able to tell him 'go potty' and he will. Also, this helps to teach the dog that it is something that will make you very happy with him, or very upset (by going in the house)

Also, if he does hold it all day in the kennel, then he may just see 'out of the kennel' as fair game for elimintating. You may have to take a step back and put the pheremone scented pads down to help guide him to the door. If you have a busy house, or busy schedule once you get home from work, you can add a cowbell, buzzer or whatever for the dog to nudge to let you know he needs to go out. Just while hes still in training, lower the bell almost to the floor, and put the pad up against the door or wall and he will accidently bump it, and get used to the sound of the bell being associated with needing to go out.

LOL.. Im a Pavlov fan!

For Zak, if she goes in her kennel from time to time, she may not be able to hold it long enough. When do you feed her? AM and PM? You can add some water to her kibble in the morning, but not give her water till you get home, then let her have her fill, and then no more water before bedtime. My Giant pee'd in her kennel all the time, and nothing worked. She was a puppy that drank ALOT... like she was dying of thirst ALL THE TIME... The vet said that she only needed about 2.5 cups of water a day. In the heat and for very active working dogs, up to 4.5 cups of water a day. I was shocked at how little he said, but it worked, and she never got dehydrated. I even had to collect her urine to make sure that she was hydrated enough. Everything was fine.

Dogs are creatures of habit, and if she becomes indifferent to laying in her pee, then thats a hard battle to fight. Dogs usually want to keep their 'dens' clean and for her to soil it, and be forced to sit in it till you get home, can create some bad, messy habits.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Annie is doing the same thing to me. I know she's only about 2 1/2 months old - but she really doesn't like that it is cold and rainy out. When we go to take her out she will MAYBE pee, then go again (both) in the house with in minuets. We've kept her outside for up to 20 minuets and she still wont go outside :roll: . The first few days wern't bad cuz it was a little warmer out but now it's COLD. Honestly, I don't mind cleaning up after her, but she pees in her crate too which makes her a stinky puppy. She also throws a barking fit in there. We've tried gating her in the kitchen when we can't watch her all the time while we are home - and that has really helped the barking AND the crate wetting (she's pretty reliable about going on papers). Im having knee surgery in the next couple of weeks :x so actually her refusing to go out helps that way (we live in an upper duplex right now - until our house gets finished and stairs will be out of the question for a while and there is no one around during the day to help me out with her) but I know that's not good for the long run. It's going to make it harder for her housetraining to be 1000% reliable when she's older. Wish I knew how to get the little bugger to do her duty outside tho. Even with a shirt or coat on she still wont go outside when it's cold.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all of the advice! i do not have a fenced in yard (unfortunately) so i do keep him on leash and have been saying the commands as he sniffs and goes. over the past few days, i have been both crating him more and taking him out more when we're in the house. i'm going to pick up some sort of bell and maybe some pee pads and see if they work. i appreciate all of your help!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I just notcied you are from Philly,I am outside of Philly but only about 25 minutes away from me :D

Sounds like you are doing things right.The key is being on top of them and giving praise when they do good.My neighbors (sp) probably thought I was an a$$ cause I would be outside in a high piched voice saying " What a good boy, Whos a good boy" over and over again.......LOL

I myself swear by the bells.I have three medium size bells hanging from a rope on the front door and back door and on Busters crate door which he has since removed :roll: lol but housebroken in one day from the day I got the bells, cant beat that :D Good luck to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.