Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to this but thrilled that it's available!

We've had Rufus, a 5 month old bulldog pup, for almost three months now. We love him dearly and he is a real clown! With that said, there are several challenges:

1. He's not yet housetrained. We live in an elevated building on the 5th floor. It is impossible to get him from his bed in the morning to the elevator without having an accident somewhere in between- despite running. He's now too heavy for us to carry him all of the time. I admit that we probably aren't doing 110% of what we are supposed to towards successive housetraining but he seems to have no routine or warning signs. He occassionally will circle and we know to immediately take him out but other times he just squats and goes wherever he is. The only place he will not go is the kitchen (not on paper or wee wee pads either)- where he is gated during the day and where his food/bed is. Otherwise, the place is his toilet, free reign!

2. My husband is a teacher and has been home with Rufus the entire time he's been with us. This is the first week where both of us (I took some time off) have gone back to work full time. We hired a dog walker to come in during the day and take him out for one hour. She says his behavior is fine though she can't get him to the elevator without an accident. However, we see a big change in his behavior. What was once a pretty docile pup is no barking, growling, and literally lunging towards us- he will bite any part of us he can get too. We let him on the bed Monday night (his first day alone) just for a little late pre-bedtime cuddle (probably something we shouldn't do) and he pee'd in our bed!

3. Needless to say, he is STUBBORN and does not listen to anything. He is obsessive about going behind this one chair to chew the computer wires. We gate it and yet he manages to get through it the minute we turn away.

Will this ever end or do I just have to resign myself to a lifetime of this? ANY advice would be so very much appreciated!

He is still on dry, Science Diet puppy food. Someone suggested that there is too much sugar in it and we should consider switching to wet food and it might make him drink less water/have less accidents. Any validity to that?

Thanks!

Andrea
[email protected][url=http://upload4.postimage.org/pets/dogs/bulldog_breeds/1150080/pet.html][IMG]http://upload4.postimage.org/1150080/Rufus5.jpg[/IMG][/url]

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
He's still really young and therefore may not have physical control over his bladder and bowels to prevent him from using your house as a toilet. I'd recommend taking him out every half hour on the dot, whether he's circling around to look for a place to go potty or not. When he does go potty outside, throw a party for him right there! Act like the sight of his urine and feces outside is the best thing in world. Set him up to succeed. You said you have a problem with his having accidents in the morning. At what time does he get his last drink of water for the night? My dogs aren't allowed any water for about 2 hours before they go to bed, and they are let out right before my husband and I go to bed. This prevents any middle of the night or early morning accidents.

Wet food probably won't make him pee less because it is 78-80% moisture. What water he's not drinking, he's getting from the food, so he'll probably pee just as much.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Cutting off water at a certain time helped us wonders while Lincoln was potty training. He's a pro now, the occasional pee, but never never a poop inside. Be very consistent, always keep an eye on him, and don't give up. Lincoln is 7 months and he's just getting it. Although I also have the biting problem, so let me know when they grop out of that :p

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Grizwald is 4 months old now and we got him at 8 weeks.

We live on the top floor in a big warehouse that was converted into condos. It's a pretty good trek to the elevator, and we often have to wait for it.

Griz is 100% successfully housetrained. How? Like Leann.Bella.Remy said, chant it like a mantra:

1. EVERY HOUR ON THE HOUR REGARDLESS of whether or not he "has to" go. (Or even every 1/2 hour!) Yes, even through the night sometimes! He is too young yet to be able to *tell you* when he as to go - in his mind, he just has to go! Or, even if he doens't have to go, you're still giving him the opportunity, and reinforcing that outside is the place to do it. This is how we trained our older dog too. It's hard work, yup! But it works.

2. When he goes potty outside make a HUGE DEAL OUT OF IT!!!! Use a consistent form of praise. When we trained Griz, when he would pee or poop outside we'd always say in a happy voice "yaaay! yaaaay Griz! Gooooood puppyyyyyy! Yaaaaay!" The same words, same tone of voice, every time. REALLY let him know how happy it makes you.

3. When he has an accident inside, whether it's in the house or on the elevator, DON'T make a big deal out of it. Remember, for puppies, ANY attention can reinforce a behavior, even saying NO. If you catch him in the act just scoop him up, tuck his tail under his butt to stop it, and run him outside without a WORD. When he finishes outside, give big-time praise. If he's too heavy to carry just keep his walking collar on at all times (while still in housetraining) so if you catch him doing it inside, say a stern word to stop him, snap his leash on and run out. I swear, I wore Griz's leash around my waist for 2 months straight, ready to GO if he tried to pee inside. Clean up accidents quietly.

Now Griz will go and get his leash and drag it to me, or sit quietly by the door when he needs to go. And when he does that, we JUMP and take him out *right away*. And we still say "yaaaay!" when he does his duty outside.

Even though he seems totally housetrained now, we STILL take him out a LOT, even if he isn't sitting by the door or letting us know. He understands that outside's the place to do it, but that knowledge doesn't make his bladder any bigger. Puppies this age can really only hold it 2-3 hours, 4-5 maximum if they're sleeping. Plus we just like to walk him a lot to wear him (and us) out so we can all have peaceful times at home.

EVERY HOUR ON THE HOUR
EVERY HOUR ON THE HOUR
EVERY HOUR ON THE HOUR
CONSISTENT PRAISE WHEN HE DOES IT RIGHT

Good luck!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Do you have a nice sized balcony, or your own "outside spot"? I've seen where people grow their own little grass patch, for dogs. Maybe it was here, I thought that was an excellent idea. It was a nice large box with it's own little grass growing in it for the dog to go on. There are also other options such as dog boxes, and actual dog litter. That could get pretty gross though. Otherwise I agree with what everyone else has said about being consistent.

Puppies will chew though, and he's still a puppy. Take whatever he's chewing on that's unacceptable, tell him no, and give him something he can chew on. If he's growling, and lunging out yall sounds like you need to get him into some OB training, and not baby him so much. He's adorable, and I'm sure it's hard, but it sounds like he's running the household instead of you and your husband.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts