Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres my dillema..lol dont even have my litle boy yet and im already planning ahead..lol

anyhow im gonna be going out of town for a week in july for my honeymoon, I dont know that I would necessarily trust too many people to watch him specially since most people I know have other dogs and he will still be too young to hang around other dogs I believe, maybe not..

Anyhow im wondering if I put him in a kennel for a week how bad of a decision that might, because ive also heard he could get sick (kennel cough) and what not...

I live no where close to any relatives, I mean its a 45 minute drive at the least and I dont know too many people that would want to drive out here.. play with him let him out and then drive home and do it all over again..lol any suggestions on kennels?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I am not from CA and don't know any kennels.

But if I were you, I couldn't leave my dog in a kennel where nobody really cares for it. Is there some one you trust you can pay to house sit and stay with him?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I had to kennel Kate for 4 days once and I have to do it again next weekend. The kennel I take her too is a great kennel. They take the dogs out to play and they have 50 foot runs for the dogs that they can get to through a doggy door. Kennels sometimes are part of a dogs life. I have no one here who is able to take care of her so that is my only option. She did fine.... no problems and after I picked her up she didnt seemed phased at all.

If you just research the ones around you I'm sure you will find that some are better then others.

And for the kennel cough.... they require you get the vaccine before you bring them in

·
Registered
551 Posts
What about taking your new puppy to the relatives home and letting it stay there. Then they wouldn't have to drive 45 minutes. I myself would be crate training so I would take the puppys crate too.

Kelly

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Every boarding kennel varies in quality of care & services. I strongly suggest that you physically go & visit the kennels you are considering & ask other people there dropping off animals what their opinion is of the place. I also want to comment on the age issue. NO puppy under the age of 6 mo. & not finished with their vaccinations should even be considered to stay at a boarding kennel. Chances are the pup WILL contract something & no reputable boarding kennels that I know of will board a puppy under this age (nor will they board one that isn't completely finished with all their initial vaccines). If you will be getting the pup right before you head out of town, I suggest waiting until you get back before acquiring one.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get him this Friday or Sat..

But ya I doubt ill use a kennel ill just find a family member who I trust... I totally forgot about the vaccinations thing, im not taking any chances with my boy!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Obelisk said:
I get him this Friday or Sat..

But ya I doubt ill use a kennel ill just find a family member who I trust... I totally forgot about the vaccinations thing, im not taking any chances with my boy!
That's probably the best thing. Also, if the owner/breeder didn't vaccinate the pup and/or show you solid proof, then I would take the dog to the vet that same day & have a fecal check done along with a vaccination. Also remind the family member to let him outside only to potty & to keep him away from others dogs & even a lot of other people for now. Good luck with your pup!! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts