Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loki is 12 weeks, and when he plays tug with me, he hangs on with only his few front teeth, he does not bite down from the back teeth.

When he occasionally bites down from the back, and its a good strong bite, i encourage him and give him praise when he does this, but is there anyway to teach him to bite down strongly, and not with his front puppy teeth>?

Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
380 Posts
Looks like your on your way to starting your pup on a spring pole. Great for developing a good strong bite . Here is a picture of my old guy Huckleberry Hound Pure Pit at 14, he couldnt get off the ground anymore but would hang like beef.

·
Registered
380 Posts
a little info on huckleberry hound, he was 14, he passed 2003, I miss him, he was a neutered pit at six months, he is acredited with kicking the asses of three attacking racoons, grabbing a baby walker as it was about to plunge down a flight of stairs, he loved guinea pigs, known to hold his own when being jumped repeatedly by three springer spainels. Was great at obeidence, was brought home by Holy Spirit to a place his daddy was ( were he had never been) a week after being stolen. Was known to be an expert at picking out who your friends should be, could talk in sentences, ate a leather sofa. What an awsome dog. Was purchased in seattle, for fifty dollars, his father was carrying a bowling ball around .

·
Registered
160 Posts
pitmommy said:
a little info on huckleberry hound, he was 14, he passed 2003, I miss him, he was a neutered pit at six months, he is acredited with kicking the asses of three attacking racoons, grabbing a baby walker as it was about to plunge down a flight of stairs, he loved guinea pigs, known to hold his own when being jumped repeatedly by three springer spainels. Was great at obeidence, was brought home by Holy Spirit to a place his daddy was ( were he had never been) a week after being stolen. Was known to be an expert at picking out who your friends should be, could talk in sentences, ate a leather sofa. What an awsome dog. Was purchased in seattle, for fifty dollars, his father was carrying a bowling ball around .
Where are you located in Utah? I am down is South Jordan

·
Registered
720 Posts
Dont even wory about bite work until your pup loses his baby teeth, teach him to play tug of war with something soft like a rag but pull very gently, if you pull too hard and yank out a tooth or hurt him some how you could ruin him for life as far as bite work is concerned...always let him win tug of war this makes him think he won the fight! In my opinion I would not even start doing this until he is at least 4months old and has his adult teeth but you can do it now but be realy carefull! Build his drive take a fishing pole and tie something like a sock on the end of the line and drag it around on the ground and let him chase it but dont let him catch it...end that leson with draging a rag on the ground and let him grab that play tug for a few minutes and let him have it...end of lesson for the day, always leave him wanting more! now when he is about 6 monthes old let him work a spring pole once a day but dont over work him leave him wanting more! I start sleeve work when my dogs are around 9months depending on how mature they have become, you dont want to use a hard sleeve at first work your way up, your dog will devolope a harder bite the harder the sleeve is. At this stage of training you should realy be working with a decoy that knows what he or she is doing, they will know how to get your dog fired up, and not feed the sleeve to him, you want your dog to work for it never feed it to him. When you get into harder sleeves and your dog grabs it and loses its grip the decoy should imedeitly turn around and run away...lesson is over for the day take him home, now what you are teaching him is (hey if I dont bite hard and hang on the game is done) and he will devolope a harder bite all on his own!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts