Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found Diamond Chicken and Rice locally. How does this food rate? It is really close to what the puppy was eating over at Shawn's and her coat is really soft and shiny. I just wondered how it rated among the other "natural" kibble foods.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Nevermind...I think I found it. :)

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate,
ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

It's not bad. I don't like to see two sources of the same grain in dog food (i.e. brown rice AND white rice), and I try to avoid foods with beet pulp in them. This is what www.dogfoodanalysis.com says about beet pulp: It is a controversial ingredient in dog food, claimed by some manufacturers to be a good source of fibre, and derided by others as an ingredient added to slow down the transition of rancid animal fats and causing stress to kidney and liver in the process. We note that beet pulp is an ingredient that commonly causes problems for dogs, including allergies and ear infections, and prefer not to see it used in dog food. There are less controversial products around if additional fibre is required

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Leeann. I knew the beet pulp wasn't great but the food is better than my other choices all around. I just wondered what it rated. For my budget its about the best I can do I guess. The dogs love it and I guess Ill stick with it until something better comes around, for the price.

·
Registered
979 Posts
It's not a bad food, and on face value it's definitely a good value for it's price. You can do alot worse. I tried it myself, but my biggest problem with it was that it stank and it made my dogs stink.

Paula

·
Registered
162 Posts
What is best recommended for the Pitbull Breed

What food is highly recommended for the Pitbull breeds? I know there is usually a few but what would the best choice be? I tried something called Nature's Variety RAW diet. It has a protein count of 42 percent...very high and I loved the natural ingedients in it...but it made the dogs smell really bad...although their coats were really nice their breath stunk too.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Theres a whole bunch of very good, high quality foods.
Chapps is on Fromm, very good food. He is allergic to everything though, so he can't have anything with chicken, lamb, corn or wheat.
The thing about the high quality foods is that they are said to be "human grade" meaning we can eat them as well, that's how nutritious they are.

Theres Natures Variety, Merrick, Go! Natural, Wellness

The list goes on...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nutro Lamb and rice

We have them on the Nutro Lamb and rice..which I am OK with but I find it makes my dog's teeth real dirty. what is FROMM never heard of that..never knew Chapps had bad allergies like that too.

·
Registered
979 Posts
ChappsnHolly said:
Theres a whole bunch of very good, high quality foods.
Chapps is on Fromm, very good food. He is allergic to everything though, so he can't have anything with chicken, lamb, corn or wheat.
The thing about the high quality foods is that they are said to be "human grade" meaning we can eat them as well, that's how nutritious they are.

Theres Natures Variety, Merrick, Go! Natural, Wellness

The list goes on...
Fromm is pretty good too, but they add salt, but that's my only nitpicky pet peeve. But real egg, no fillers, etc.

Paula

·
Registered
162 Posts
Anyone have any comments on the Nutro?

Any comments on the Nutro lamb and rice? I hate fillers in any dog food...I try to supplement mine with more protein such as cow parts (tongue, heart, kidney) chicken liver LOL...the guys at the grocery store think I eat gross meat :p

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I get Fromm here at Critter Jungle...$65.99CAD for a 30lb bag.

It's the only food that agrees with him (he's on ths duck and potato)

I have done lots of research on Nutro because thats what I used to feed and they say its the best bad food you can get at Petsmart, Super Pet etc as they don't sell the high quality foods.

I'll take you to Critter Jungle one day....awesome place, tons of good quality foods there girl!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah been there

I know been there...I went to gloabl in orleans and we paid 55 for a 25 lbs. that was the raw diet stuff...pretty natural and the dogs went nuts on the food..but really bad stench comes out of them so I got rid of that. I prefer to use the Nutro again as a supplement since I also give them veggies/meats that I make at home myself. I need to start adding oils for the shine though.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I give Holly and Chapps salmon oil....a capsule in their food every day.

Also, you can try adding plain, organic yogourt, cottage cheese...it helps with their gas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.