Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sally and Otto go at it all the time! They both have cuts on their necks. We are with them all the time but if we run to the bathroom or stop to make dinner, we have to run and break them up! It's both of them too, thelittle guy will chase Sally around! Help!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm sure u'll get more expert advice than I have to offer but I also have two dogs who have the potential for killing (ok well one is a Pom but Sam will eat him if he provokes her) and so in all honesty either Sam comes w/ me when I leave a room or they are blocked from contacting each other. I can tell you that when I am making dinner (which coincides w/ Mike getting home and soon the kids coming home) Sam just goes in her crate for quiet time. That way I can relax and get my stuff done w/out fear of a dog fight breaking out. Let's see what other's have to say...

·
Registered
979 Posts
This might be a dumb question because my experience is in ridgebacks and I've only had Ami a month, but are you sure they're fighting? Ridgebacks play very hard with growling and snarling and bodyslamming and 'look how big my teeth are'. It is definitely different from fighting, but to the unitiatied play looks pretty rough. Couple that with the no pain threshold of bully breeds aren't you bound to get some booboos? How do you know they're fighting?

Paula

·
Registered
136 Posts
Paula, not a silly question. My staffy plays really hard with my goldy, but in a fight she'll latch onto the other dog.

I can tell by watching Storm, even in full on hard play with Sam it's different to when she wants to take a dog on.

·
Registered
979 Posts
classbully said:
oh no, they are definately playing. not fighting to be vicious. they do love each other but they get too rough and break the skin.
Okay, your heading was how to keep them from fighting. Maybe you just need to let them play. They'll learn each other's limits. Keep an eye. If you think it is getting too rough teach them 'easy'. Kids will come home with skinned knees and black eyes.

JMO of course. Like I said; my experience is in ridgebacks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That's just bully play. I roughouse with Bam and end up with minor injuries all the time. It's all in good fun. They like it even though it looks like they are hurting each other. Just make sure you know the difference between playing like a bully and fighting. This is why bullies are no good at playing with non-bully dogs. I think their version of play can start a fight.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Some dogs find it more fun to play rough, but will go their whole lives without REALLY dukin it out. Just keep an eye on the behaviour....if one or both start to really snap at eachother, then seperate, and assess the situation further. Also it's probablly a good idea to keep them in seperate crates when you aren't home (just to be on the safe side), if you aren't already. :)

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
It will be rough till the puppy teeth are gone. When we got Clutch Scarlets face was a mess...always all scratched up and always bloody from those damn puppy teeth.

It took them a good month or 2 before they werent in bazerk play mode 24/7 with each other. Just keep on top of them..they wont stop...but when it gets rough break them up. I advise a squirt bottle...thats helped a great deal with mine. They now know..."I am gonna squirt you" and they stop everything they are doing with out us actually squirting the.

They are just being bully's and having fun...just dont let them get carried away!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
The wiser older dog will usually growl or give the younger more hyper one a warning and most dogs stop at that. But if your little one is feeling a little more dominant, this could be creating the problem. If it's not too bad, let them sort it out like pecking order. If it is too rough, seperate them and tell the younger one to sit and hold his head and force him to be sniffed by the older and disclipline by seperating and doing this everytime they start up again. Eventually, things should work out. If they don't, possibly contact a canine behavourist for more help.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Storms funny, if she wants Sams attention she starts by rubbing herself around his face. (she's desexed he's entire but he ignores her) she'll then start the vocals and play bites at the mouth and then moves onto headbutts by which time he'll get up and wrestle with her. If he doesn't want to play he'll slam his big paw on her head to hold her down and she gets the message or I'll reinforce NO.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Stormy said:
Storms funny, if she wants Sams attention she starts by rubbing herself around his face. (she's desexed he's entire but he ignores her) she'll then start the vocals and play bites at the mouth and then moves onto headbutts by which time he'll get up and wrestle with her. If he doesn't want to play he'll slam his big paw on her head to hold her down and she gets the message or I'll reinforce NO.
That will work too :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.