Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jazzy and Chopper never ever fight. The only thing that gets them close is when they want to get out the back door to chase a squirrell or to see what a noise was. Then, the two of them will jockey for position and it ends up with alot of snarling and gnashing of teeth. I open the door and all hell breaks loose! They forget what they were trying to get out the door for and end up going at it with eachother. Luckily, it's easily broken up, which makes me think they aren't really fighting. But, it's coming too close for my comfort. I'd feel terrible if something happened to either one of them. They both know sit, stay, but when they get worked up over a squirrell, fugghetaboutit! All training goes buh-bye. Any ideas on how to stop this before one of them ends up really hurting the other? :-k

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I would let one out at a time or hold two treats in your hand and tell both of them to sit as you open the door and then give them the treat, say "okay" and let them run out. I'm guessing that there probably fighting over whose more dominant because the more dominant one goes out the door first (leads the pack).

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
My two bark at them too but they never attack each other to get at the squirrel. Sorry no help here. I hope it gets better for you! I'm sure that is a scary situation for you.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Don't let them out to chase a squirrel if they see one, tell them no and walk away. It would not be too cool if you were to be going out that door with the dogs when all of a sudden they see a squirrel and take off and knock you on your bum cause they are trying to jocky over who gets out the door first. I always let our older dog Zeke out first and make Titus wait cause he is younger and I want him to know that Zeke is the top dog/ older dog. And If I am going out the door I make them sit and stay while I walk thru the door then they can follow. I don't know if that is of any help to you or not???

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wizworx said:
Don't let them out to chase a squirrel if they see one, tell them no and walk away. It would not be too cool if you were to be going out that door with the dogs when all of a sudden they see a squirrel and take off and knock you on your bum cause they are trying to jocky over who gets out the door first. I always let our older dog Zeke out first and make Titus wait cause he is younger and I want him to know that Zeke is the top dog/ older dog. And If I am going out the door I make them sit and stay while I walk thru the door then they can follow. I don't know if that is of any help to you or not???
Yeah, I see your point. I actually don't let them out if they're barking at a person or another dog. I make them wait until they've calmed down, cuz I don't want them scaring our neighbors. I really need to be more firm with them I guess. :oops:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts