Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying for about 4 days now to teach my dog "Paw" but everytime i try she just looks at me with this dumbfounded expression and has no idea what I want her to do. i keep picking up her paw and saying paw at the same time hopeing she will realize thats what it is, but she doesn't. I know if i can get her to put her paw on my hand once by herself It will be a cinch. I have tried treats and stuff but it is hopeless if the dog doesn't know what you want her to do. She has sit down perfectly though...

· Registered
135 Posts
don't worry about paw

Can you take her for a controlled walk? Can you take food out of her mouth without her growling. Does she come to you when you call her. Does she not jump on little kids when they visit? Does she respect you as pack leader? Can a little kid take her for a walk?
Does she not bark incessantly?

These things are important,

all alone in the glades,

jackie

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is too young for full walks, but yes the walks around the block are controlled and I am in complete control of my dog. She has never growled at me, and only barks when she has to go to the bathroom. She barks once or twice when she wants to play but doesn't do it all the time. She is a good girl. Just want to be able ot teach her some tricks. BTW.. She is 10 weeks old.

· Registered
199 Posts
Don't know if this will help, but we taught Sheila the easy way. We held some treats close to her nose, eventually after a few minutes she tried to paw the treat out TADA!!!! we continued to treat the behavour and while not at the top of the list of importance, she gives both paws depending which hand you put out accordingly. It was down time training on a lazy sunday afternoon. Good luck.

· Registered
196 Posts
I did it without commands, whenever I would give my pooch a treat, I would pick up her paw and shake her hand, then give her the treat. I just did this everytime for the a month or two. Now when ever we have the bowl or a really good treat, she will madly do paw in mid air trying to please me.

The same goes for sit and down. When she sees I have a treat she will first sit down, if no treat, she will give paw, then if i still hold out, she will lay down. Your dog just needs t know whicih actions equal reward.

· Registered
11,496 Posts
Orson already pawed at us to get our attention, so i just said the
words "high five" when he did it and praised him, now he is a pro.
Always easier to make what your dog does naturally into a trick.
He also rolls over on back when being greet, so i just made that into
"roll over" and "play dead".
But yours still is young, sit is doing good for that age!

· Registered
124 Posts
My daughter taught Sam shake and we have started with Storm now. We have the treat she automatically sits and tries to lay down. I say no ... sit she sits back up and I say shake. She then lifts her paw a little bit so I take it and shake telling her what a good girl she is then she gets her treat. It's funny watching her, she's learnt 'round' (turning in a circle from watching Sam and a food held above). I gave Sam the command round and Storm joined in. :)

· Registered
894 Posts
This is what I've done with every dog I've had and they seemed to pick it up within a day or two. First they must know the sit command. Once I teach them sit I make them sit before I try the paw. Once sitting I tap on the right leg a couple times saying "give me paw". Then after a few times of tapping the paw saying it I pick up the paw and shack saying "give me paw". Once I shack it I say good boy a bunch of times with lots of praise petting and give a cookie. I do this a couple times in a sitting session. Then come back to the same thing a little while later. I think maybe the key is tapping on the leg first and then picking the paw up. And lots of praise each time you lift the paw.

GOOD LUCK!

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx for all the advice. I'm trying Sheila's method ATM, she did give me her paw but to try to scratch the treat out haha. but as long as she does it on her own i'm pretty sure i can get her to do it on command in a couple of days. I'll keep you guys updated. Thx.
Btw.. I'm pretty sure i'll be posting here again for. "roll Over" "down" Etc. Etc. haha

· Registered
89 Posts
One of the first tricks I taught Bam was "high five". Now it is his solution to everything. If he wants to go out, high five. If it is time to feed him, high five. If he like the way your food smells, high five. He has also started greeting people who come to our house this way, I guess it beats jumping, but it does make him seem nuts.

· Registered
89 Posts
He is. He trys so hard to please, and manages to totally misunderstand what people want. It is extremely entertaining, I wouldn't have him any other way.

· Banned
2,524 Posts
Everyone has good tips, but just to let you know, I taught Abby paw and she hasn't stopped using it since. I mean, she'll literally bat me playfully sometimes. I sometimes regret teaching her the trick in the first place. It's up to you though and it does look "cute".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.