Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is your pup "scenting," or is he/she just going potty? I am a proponent of crate training but if this is not your bag than you may need to ride your puppy for a while to stop this problem. Is this a puppy that has yet to be house broken? Sound like, perhaps not enough info, the pup just may have to much unsupervised access to places to pee.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
"Scenting" is a "different" smell that dogs will do to cover up other scents, like a way of marking territory.

Peeing, on the other hand, is because he is not getting let out enough, or not on a schedule, or too young to be housebroken yet.

He is most likely going to the same spot each time.

If your dog stays in the basement, he has got to be let out before going in there, and you need to watch him to make sure he actually goes potty. Then, he needs let out intermitently during the day as well, or night, until a schedule is formed.

Ammonia diluted in water is great for removing urine stains and smell on concrete. I use it on my grout when and if my pups have accidents..

In the training process, you can also use paper, or wee wee pads found at stores. Or what about a crate? Much easier to crate train him.

·
Registered
288 Posts
dude

You can stop your dog from scenting by putting him out in the yard in a dog house! My dog was out in the yard for about 3 months, day and night. Now she lives in the garage and appreciates every minute, amazing.

sometimes I am in the doghouse too,

snoop doggy jack

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
If your dog is not neutured, neuturing might help (50/50 chance) WITH disclipline. Stop him when he's in the act, what do you do when he "scents" in the basement? Discliplining after he already does it, does not make any difference except confuse the dog and get him anxious or fearful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.