Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see photos of your dogs playing with others, most often all bullies.
Petey doesn't get to play much and if I let him and they play a little rough, how will I know if it's playing or getting out of hand?
There's a chow that lives nearby and his owner doesn't walk him on a leash. WHen they get to our property and Pete's outside they2 will sniff and sometimes play but I'm afraid of what might happen. THe chow can be assertive and I don't want anything to start. I also don't want them to pick up on my uneasiness. What should I do??

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
carson said:
I see photos of your dogs playing with others, most often all bullies.
Petey doesn't get to play much and if I let him and they play a little rough, how will I know if it's playing or getting out of hand?
There's a chow that lives nearby and his owner doesn't walk him on a leash. WHen they get to our property and Pete's outside they2 will sniff and sometimes play but I'm afraid of what might happen. THe chow can be assertive and I don't want anything to start. I also don't want them to pick up on my uneasiness. What should I do??
If it doesn't feel right, it isn't right. Don't let anything happen, b/c it IS bound to happen. Chow's can be very dog AND human aggressive, from my experience. I'd keep Petey leashed and away from any and all strange dogs if you aren't sure about it...

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I never let my dogs play with any dog that I don't know. If I think the dog is friendly enough, then I will take them for a walk together, and if nothing happens I sometimes let them play. I don't do this often though, Lucy loves my friends dog, the little shitzu, and my sister inlaws rotti other then that she doesn't really get to play with any others.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I do not allow my dogs to play with ANY dogs, period. IMO it is not necessary for the well being of the dog and I also feel it can have a negative impact on training if training for competetion. I think the risks way out weigh the cons. Bullies are generally dominant animals and you never know when they will meet up with another dominant dog. I don't want the vet bills and I don't want my dogs getting into fights then having a whole different training issue on my hands. Dog aggressiveness is very difficult to stop if you have a dog who has been in a scuffle before! Not worth it. My dogs have plenty of fun and get plenty of exercise WITHOUT playing or going nose to nose with other dogs.

If that Chow was in my neighbourhood I would definitley be having a talk with its owner and letting him/her know that walking their dog off leash is totally unacceptable!!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Hi Mary.

My dogs do interact with eachother but they don't play with eachother so to speak. I will have them in the same room on occassion and sometimes when hubby is at work and there is room in the bed they will both sleep with me at night. But no, I don't let them play togheter in the backyard or anything. I prefer them to look to me for their fun rather than eachother. I also don't want to risk them getting injured because of rough play or fighting. I don't want the vet bills, nor do I want my dogs training interrupted due to an injury.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the opinions!
I was starting to think that Pete was being shortchanged for not playing with other dogs. I see Bella, Remy, Haus, Amocat's dogs etc all playing together and I think it would be nice for Pete to do that but I dont' want any trouble. Petey's already got a record and I don't want to add to it! You know what that could mean!!
He plays with the cats in the house and seems to have fun and he plays with us all the time. Unfortunately I'm laid up with a broken leg right now and I'm unable to take him for walks or to the barn for exercise.

Lisa: as always you make a very good point. When I first got Pete the chow climbed on board to dominate Petey. He do didn't do anything but it makes me wonder just how long he'd put up with it.
As far as the owner's concerned he's been told by the animal control to get the dog on a leash but he doesn't. He walks it to a railway area and lets the dog poop all over and doesn't clean it up - even if it happens to go on my yard or a neighbour's he doesn't do anything.
He's a nice man but totally disrespectful....

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
With my other three dogs, they can play and be just like kids having a good time. I have learned this is not the case with Clara. Clara wants to use this play as a way to dominate the others, therefore there is no play for her with the other dogs. They can be in the same room together and can be out in the backyard together but if at any time she tries to start a play with any of the dogs, I immediately will stop it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts