Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you punish a dog not physically hurting it. Should i use the spray bottle or what, because Scrappy has this little nipping at people problem that we need to solve, because sometimes it hurts. When you run he likes to chase and jump and snap.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Little pups are going to do that. When he starts nipping stop all play and redirect him to one of his toys that he can chew on. Also use a spray bottle/water gun. He'll get the idea. These methods worked for me.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright thanks i was just unsure of what to do with him.

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
I have found a water bottle to be very effective with any of my dogs (past and present). Good luck!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
When he bites, you can very gently put your hand around his snout, push it down a little, and give a firm "NO". You don't need to squeeze the snout or anything painful, just put your hand around it and push his head down a bit say "NO" very firmly. This is the equivalent of what an adult dog would do to let him know what he's doing is unacceptable. An adult dog would put its mouth around the pups snout and growl. This is what Odie's trainer advised me to do.

I have an Aussie mix, and Aussies are notorious nippers because of their herding instinct. Odie was a horrific nipper as a puppy. He literally bloodied my hands and arms on a daily basis. You couldn't even get within 10 feet of him without him going nuts and biting like crazy. I still have little purple scars all over from it. The method I mentioned worked with him. The squirt bottle didn't work with him because he started thinking it was just a game.

·
Registered
932 Posts
My Staffy is 8 weeks old and we've had him for only a week.
He is a nipper too.. when he does this, we usually hold his mouth and tap him with a firm "no".
I am worried that this is just instinctive behaviour and it will never stop...
Last night he urinated on the rug, so we took him outside and locked him out for 5 minutes.
I think he learned his lesson because he didn't cry one bit.
When we let him back inside, he was good as gold and very well behaved.
I was always worried about punishing a pup because it seems so cruel....
but it is necessary isn't it?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Patch said:
My Staffy is 8 weeks old and we've had him for only a week.
He is a nipper too.. when he does this, we usually hold his mouth and tap him with a firm "no".
I am worried that this is just instinctive behaviour and it will never stop...
Last night he urinated on the rug, so we took him outside and locked him out for 5 minutes.
I think he learned his lesson because he didn't cry one bit.
When we let him back inside, he was good as gold and very well behaved.
I was always worried about punishing a pup because it seems so cruel....
but it is necessary isn't it?
Young puppies don't need to be punished. I mean, they don't know they're doing anything wrong when they pee in the house. Puppies need to be taught how to behave through discipline and rewarding good behavior. I don't believe in punishing puppies during house training. It's much easier and far more pleasant to simply reward proper behavior. They learn quickly what to do to get a treat. You need to watch for the signs that they need to go to the bathroom. When you see a sign, rush them outside, and reward and priase them when they do their business. If you miss a sign and he goes in the house, you have to let it go. Their attention span is so short they probably won't associate any punishment with peeing or pooing in the house. It has a real negative effect on puppies when they're punished and don't know why. It makes them neurotic and afraid of silly things they shouldn't be afraid of.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I agree with Beetle. It's bordering on cruel to punish a puppy for something he doesn't know he's doing wrong, or something he can't control. You wouldn't punish a baby for soiling its diaper, so why punish a puppy in the beginning stages of house training? Puppies are very impressionable and learn best by their successes rather than their mistakes.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I'm of the opinion that if your pup does something wrong, such as chewing something or peeing inside, its your fault for allowing it to happen. They have no idea what they are doing isnt desired unless you teach them and this isnt accomplished by punishment. You dont want your pup to obey you based on fear.

·
Registered
932 Posts
WOW, thanks for the feedback guys.
I guess I've been reading too many books and listening to too many people.
Everyone i've spoken to tells me that they need to be told when they've done something wrong so that they learn.

I think it's a bit early... but when do you start with the discipline?

We usually keep an eye out... usually he starts sniffing at the carpet, so we open up the door and he goes outside and does his business. Last night... there was just no warning.

We get so worried about him... it's started raining here and although he's home under the verandah and he has a nice warm kennel and lots of toys i was so worried he'd be scared of the rain so my husband has left work and gone home to be with him!
it's so hard leaving a puppy at home when you have to work... but SO great to come home to lots of hugs and playing!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I try to influence the pups behavior. If she starts sniffing the rug, I take her outside. She chews on something she is not supposed to, I take it away and give her one of her toys.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thanks for your advice. This is a really great forum. I am going to try those things you've mentioned, and I'll let you know how I go.
Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Seeing how hes a pup he is probaly just playing. The method I used for Champ when he was apup worked pretty good. I read in a book that says to let the pup niblle on your hand and when it bites down to hard to make a yelping sound and walk away from it. By doing this they will figure out that if they bite to hard they'll loose there playmate. Now that he is a year and a half old when I am wrestling with him he wont bite very hard. So it worked out good for me and my dog.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
I was taught to wrap my pinky fingers around his collar and place both index and thumbs around his muzzle and tell him "NO" when he is biting. You place your pinky fingers around the collar so he/she can't pull away. You don't put pressure on his muzzle but you do let him know that this area is the issue. It seems to work pretty well but everyone that trains he/she should know how to do it.

As for punishment for a peeing pup, I have learned that it is the owners responsibility to take the pup out more often rather than leaving it up to the dog. They are absolutely oblivious to knowing they are doing wrong. The more repetition you show your dog the more they will pick up.

Good Luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts