Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my American Bully about two weeks ago, and I had to take him to board him last weekend we had to go out of town. While he was there they nuetered him. Before he went there he was pretty people friendly. He would growl when someone first came in but once he realized we were ok then he was ok. Well he growled at my vet the whole time he was there and growled at me until he got a good look at me...then he was fine. Yesterday when my mother in law came to clean the house he growled at her continuously. I really dont know how to deal with this because we host a lot of company and have young children that have friends over all the time. He doesnt really dislike my husband, but as far as doing anything for him (such as coming when called); forget it! Also and this is my largest concern. I have a 4 year old son that has been away at his dads since before we got Alex; he wont be back for another couple of weeks. I am affraid of what might happen when he gets back. Any advice would be wonderful. Honestly I am a little taken aback by his behavior...both of my prefious bullys were agressive towards other dogs but not towards people so much.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Sounds as if the nuetering and boarding may have been alittle too traumatic for a young bully. Poor dude!

I really dont have much advice for you except maybe crateing the dog whenever you cannot be around him loose in the house, close supervision while he is with friends anf amily members. Your hubby maybe being alittle more dominant in his voice and demeanor when training the dog,you will get much advice here, please listen and use it, as we dont need another bully going to a shelter with a bad reputation!

Come on guys.............advice?

·
Registered
175 Posts
The dog sounds unstable. If he knew you and growled, that is not normal. The dog can smell you before he can see you, so he knew damn well who you are. Being boarded and neutered, while stressful, happens to dogs everyday and they don't react this way. This dog has enviromental issues that need to be addressed imediately. Get yourself a good trainer asap and do not allow the dog access to your kid or guests until this is dealt with. If something happens to someone while in your home, you'll be sued and your dog will make headlines, which the Bully world doesn't need. Peter C Any advice on this?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
People always love to blame us, the vet clinic, for a change in their dog's behavior after coincidentally staying with us. I'd just like to point out that this is the biggest cop-out I've ever heard in my life. In no way, shape, or form, should a dog become aggressive or overly aggressive all b/c he spent a night or two in a place other than his own environment. Nor does a dog getting spayed/neutered or having any other type of surgery cause the dog to all of a sudden lash out aggressively & be nervous/anxious all the time. All my dogs have had their own time having to stay at the clinic & in no way did their behavior change other than they were happy to see me upon me returning to get them.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I think you need to show this dog who is boss here.You need to go back to basics with him which means you hand feed him,gets snacks ,food ,water on your term no play toys left out but only brought out when you bring them out to play. you need to make this dog know that you are Alpha.With my Dalmatian when she would growl we would put her in the summit position till she submitted(sp) to show her we were not going to take any crap and we were above her.You cant not let this continue or it will only get worse.Hopefully someone else on here can give you more or better advice as these were the first things I thought of.Good luck .

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Is this dog just a puppy?

I am not totally sure about this case without more info but I do tend to agree with Miakoda and Kismet regarding people using so called "tramautic" experiences as a cop out for temperament problems. I can't even imagine owning a dog that could not even handle a vet visit or trip to a boarding kennel!!! What good would a dog like that be? More info on this case WOULD be helpful, but I defintiely agree that too many people tend to make excuses for their dogs temerament problems. Why is it that some dogs can bounce from home to home and act like nothing happened? Why can some dogs/puppies get shipped on an airplane thousands of miles and pop out of that crate and into the arms of their new owners like it was nothing? Why can some dogs go through horrendous training methods (even bordering on abusive) yet come out of it without any issues at all and remain a friendly, stable animal? Why can some dogs live on a chain for years then when they are brought out they are more comfortable and confident in a new place than dogs whose owners have been spending months or years trying to "socialize" them to make them better able to "cope"?? Its called GOOD NERVES. Unfortunately not all dogs have good strong nerve and in fact this is a big problem with dogs today and not just the bullies!

A good dog is not that easily ruined!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not blaming anything on the vet...i love my vet...he has been in my family since my mom was 16. Trust me its nothing on him. I was just trying to give a time frame on when the changes occured. It just seems that I am the only one in this family he likes and he hasnt even met my oldest son yet. He is five months old. He wont even look at my husband and he trys to avoid my youngest son. Neither one of them have hurt him in any manner, but he is progressively gettin worse. He wont leave my side...he is up under my feet 24/7. That would be great if I were a widow that was in my 50s but I am not. I have a huge social life. I don't know what to do. He is very sweet; he just seems to have some serious social issues.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I was assuming it was a puppy from the beginning.....

I would agree that if it were an adult, it'd be different, should have asked for more info.

But wouldnt a 5 month pupy get scared being boarded and nuetered??Dont forget the changes he is going through being nuetered now. My dog went through a "menopause" we called it!!Lol.........

·
Registered
203 Posts
But wouldnt a 5 month pupy get scared being boarded and nuetered??Dont forget the changes he is going through being nuetered now. My dog went through a "menopause" we called it!!Lol.........
If I understand it right the dog growled at strangers before he got boarded, it just got worse after. I don't think a puppy should have a problem with being neutered or being boarded. He sounds like he didn't have a sound temperament before he got there and that probably made it worse.
If I where you I would find a good trainer ASAP and get the dog evaluated. And I personally would not have him around the kids until you know what's going on with him.

·
Registered
451 Posts
sajoseph said:
I was assuming it was a puppy from the beginning.....

I would agree that if it were an adult, it'd be different, should have asked for more info.

My dog was boarded at 4.5 months (not recommended by the kennel, but I had no choice) and he was neutered at 6 months. I don't see how these things can change the temperament of the dog. It should not. Thousands of dogs go through these things and are absolutely fine. This stuff is not out of the ordinary.

To the OP. Did you purchase the puppy from a breeder? If so, what were the parents like?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
No way. That is an excuse. A dog with a sound, stable temperament (I don;t care how old) is not going to be ruined because it got nuetered or had to be boarded for a few days.

The scary thing is there are many breeders out there who have this mentality (making excuses for temperament problems). No wonder so many dogs are basket cases these days! Not enough people who are breeding are honest with themselves and have open enough minds to see the weakensses in their dogs! KENNEL BLINDNESS!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts