Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6,256 Posts
This thread has been cleaned up. I still have about 10-12 foods to rate and add to the list from the 10 pages of posts. I hope this is easier for everyone to read. I've tried to keep it alphabetical too.

· Registered
6,256 Posts
Tyson said:
Does anyone know what Diamond Hi-Energy grades? The place where I buy my current dog food which is Diamond Lamb & Rice has switched out the Lamb & Rice with Hi-Energy. Here are the first few ingredients I could get off the bag.

Meat Meal, Ground Corn, Wheat Flour, Rice Bran, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Corn Gluten Meal, Beet Pulp, Natural Chicken Flavor, Potassium Choloride, Salt, Choline Chorloride, Vitamine E supplement

Crude Protein 24.0% Minimum
Crude Fat 20.0% Minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
Moisture 10.0% Maximum

If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it.
This is what we have our foster on, because it's what the previous owners were feeding him. We tried to switch him to Lamb and Rice, since it's what our dogs eat, but he had the runs. We think it was due to the stress of being torn from everything he knew, but that's for a different thread. It's not really a good food, seeing as the first 3 ingredients are Meat meal(from an unspecified source), corn(not good if your dog is allergic) and wheat(again, not good if your dog is allergic). Plus, it's not good to see salt that high on the ingredient list.

· Registered
6,256 Posts
Re: dog food

ephemeral said:
I see, so if I feed Cheeto about 4-6 cups of Ol Roy then maybe I can feed him 3-4 cups of higher quality food? That is really something to consider, thanks for the eye opener.....and once I get thru with school I should be able to afford the better food with out worrying about the $$$$. :oops:
I see you are in Georgia. You guys have a Tractor Supply chain down there. I'd check them out for food. We buy our Diamond Lamb and Rice there. It's about $20 for 40 lbs of food. :wink:

· Registered
6,256 Posts
Re: food for cheeto

ephemeral said:
Yes, the Tractor Supply does have lots of choices
I also went to a local Feed and Seed, they have the Diamond Mantanance formula, 50 lbs for $20
I am going to check out the ingredients on that one and rate it......

Thanks
Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F

Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B

Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A

Diamond Performance / Score 85 C

· Registered
6,256 Posts
Tinkerbell said:
Im sure this has been beaten to death - but can someone recommend a high quality puppy food that is reasonably priced? Im not sure what Annie's breeder will ween her to (waiting to hear back from him) but I want to have something else in mind in case it's not something great.

Thanks!
I saw your other post, and thought I'd answer here. Most puppy food contain a higher protein content than adult foods. A puppy needs more protein to help grow, however I wouldn't feed puppy food. I would feed adult food, and just up the amount of food the dog eats. For example, Justice is 7 months old and 35 lbs. It is recommended that we feed her only 2 to 2.5 cups of food a day. She gets 3 to 3.5 depending on her activity level. She's a very hyper pup with a lot of energy and a high metabolism. Haus is lazier than she is, and he gets his recommended feeding at 4 cups a day(of course, he's an adult dog). I would urge you to talk to your vet about this. If you don't trust your vet's knowledge of dog nutrition, then find a dog nutrionist to speak to.

· Registered
6,256 Posts
Cinder said:
I have a new dog food that I was going to rate today, but I can't figure out how to do it. I just PMed HausMommy, but is there anyoen out there that would like to tackle this list of ingredients and see how it rates?

Duck, duck meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, chicken fat (preserved w/ mixed tocopherols), potatoes, roasted quail, roasted duck, smoked turkey, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitatmin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrocholoride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

No corn, no soy, no by-products.
Cinder, I rated it and got a 109 for it. I would definately go for it because it contains 6 different protein sources, as well as no soy, wheat, corn or rice.

· Registered
6,256 Posts
jr8fan said:
HausMommy said:
Cinder said:
I have a new dog food that I was going to rate today, but I can't figure out how to do it. I just PMed HausMommy, but is there anyoen out there that would like to tackle this list of ingredients and see how it rates?

Duck, duck meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, chicken fat (preserved w/ mixed tocopherols), potatoes, roasted quail, roasted duck, smoked turkey, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitatmin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrocholoride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

No corn, no soy, no by-products.
Cinder, I rated it and got a 109 for it. I would definately go for it because it contains 6 different protein sources, as well as no soy, wheat, corn or rice.

6 hmm i counted 8! show me where i counted too much pro's
Duck and duck meal are the same protein source. I forgot egg though. So it would be 7.

· Registered
6,256 Posts
Chip, I noticed this food last night. The display caught my eye, you know, RR with her dog. I saw corn meal and immediately put the bag down. I may work at Walmart, but I will not feed my dog anything that we sell there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.