Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4,670 Posts
Re: dog food

ephemeral said:
I know that Ol Roy is probably one of the loweer graded foods. but honestly, i cannot afford to pay much more than 10 bucks for atleast 20 pounds for food. i must be a terrible owner. cheeto seems to like it though and he seems healthy also.
does anyone know of and inexpensive food that would fit my budget????
Diamond Lamb Meal and Rice is only about $25 for a 40lb. bag. It's a decent food - much better than Ol Roy. The Petco in my town sells Diamond.

· Registered
4,670 Posts

nanniesrock said:
ephemeral said:
I know that Ol Roy is probably one of the loweer graded foods. but honestly, i cannot afford to pay much more than 10 bucks for atleast 20 pounds for food. i must be a terrible owner. cheeto seems to like it though and he seems healthy also.
does anyone know of and inexpensive food that would fit my budget????
Just for perspective, remember they'll eat A LOT less of the "good stuff". I went 3 months on one 40 lb. bag of Nutro ($35 on sale) for Harley (65lbs at last check-up). That's like just over $10 a month. Not too bad for high quality kibble. :D
Lucky!! I was feeding Bella and Remy Diamond Lamb Meal and Rice at $25 for 40lbs. They eat the same amount of Timberwolf (3 cups), but that stuff is $53 for 33lbs! They go through 33 lbs. of food in about 3 weeks.

· Registered
4,670 Posts

ephemeral said:
I see, so if I feed Cheeto about 4-6 cups of Ol Roy then maybe I can feed him 3-4 cups of higher quality food?
That's usually the case, yep! In my situation, feeding a higher quality food has kept my allergy-prone female pit bull out of the vet's office, which has saved us a TON of money. Being on a high quality kibble has boosted her immune system to the point where she can finally go outside in the spring/summer without breaking out into hives!

· Registered
4,670 Posts
Re: Timberwolf?

lurene said:
I've never seen timberwolf before.

We'd been feeding Iams since thats what I always thought was the best (Boy was I wrong!). Red was allergic to the chicken protein in it, so we switched to Solid Gold Wolfcub and haven't looked back since.

Is the Timberwolf significantly better for the money? Seems to have rated the highest.

We're also using the Solid Gold Seameal suppliments in his food which he doesn't seem to mind at all.
I'm a huge advocate of Timberwolf. There is no better kibble on the market, in my opinion. Of course, not all dogs will do as well as others on it. It really comes down to finding what works best for your dog.

· Registered
4,670 Posts
Kate said:
Cinder said:
Atticus gets prescription K/O dog food, I think Eukanuba is the brand...not sure, but it's prescription from the vet, b/c it contains no wheat in it. 67 dollars for a 30 pound bag. We also mix in Blue Buff wet food.
I would cut out the vet food.... there are many more good foods out there without wheat in them that are MUCH cheaper.

If you look here at DVP Natural Balance Potato and Duck there is no wheat:
Potatoes, Duck, Duck Meal, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Potato Fiber, DL-methionine, L-Lysine, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Rosemary Extract, Natural Flavor, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Vitamin K1 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9).

I pay $40ish for 30lbs and I can get it at Petco and its better then Eukanuba products
I see that the DVP Potato and Duck lists potato as the first ingredient. Do people who feed this food do so just because of the lower chance of a dog having allergies to the ingredients? I don't think I would feed my dogs a food with a starch as the first ingredient unless I absolutely had to. I'm just curious about that.

· Registered
4,670 Posts
TashiasDad said:
I am sure I will get flamed by someone for this. But, I would not feed a dog raw meat. Would you eat it? There is a recipe out there for show dogs that requires raw ground beef and geletin and some other crap. I wont do it for the sake of the raw meat. Its just not right. Just cuz a dog can lick his own balls doesnt mean I will try mine. .....lol
Do you (or would you) eat kibble?

· Registered
4,670 Posts
TashiasDad said:
Yes I would! And that is no BS. The body will only digest what it is capable of and also what you structure it around.

Now would you eat it! If you wouldnt, than your reply was a waste of time.
And the human body and canine body are structured differently, as I'm sure you're aware. The canine body is perfectly capable of digesting raw meat, even though yours isn't. Dogs have only been eating kibble for a few decades, and they certainly weren't structured to eat kibble.

I don't think anyone has a problem with you not feeding your dog raw meat, but when you come on a forum where many people promote raw feeding and say "It's just not right," well, that just isn't right. :lol:

· Registered
4,670 Posts
TashiasDad said:
I would just like to add that if you own a PITBULL, giving them the taste of blood (raw meat) is a serious mistake. Pitbulls are a lovable breed but they have lines that have to be recognized. I had a friend that had two pits, they were the most docile loving animals. One day one got the taste of blood and than eventually killed one of the cows he had on his land. He went right out with a 45 and shot it instantly. Now others will think thats inhumane but its like a child molester, they do it once (put em down) they will do it again.
Get out of here with that crap! Seriously. It's one of the biggest pit bull myths around, and I can't believe a caring, responsible, supposedly educated pit bull owner would come here and spout that crap!

Does your pit bull have locking jaws, too? :roll:

· Registered
4,670 Posts
TashiasDad said:
First off, I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you. If you felt differant you would have helped them out. But like all forums, people are to busy to offer insight because a questioned may have been posed a 1000 times. BUT! They have no problem flaming someone for an answer that...They didnt find warranted an answer or was too time consuming.

I do know that a pit is capable of malitious distruction if not trained right. Thus the stereotypical BS associated with them. Is a German Shepard not the top ranking dog for human bites. Thats probably fiction also. Pits were bread for fighting and most of us will try to extinguish that myth in the way we raise our pits. *why am I explaining myself* Whatever the case, I would not feed by 11 month pit (child) red meat. DO YOU FEED YOUR CHILD RAW MEAT!

If you feel it proper to bust my balls than do so but atleast take a moment to give iluvmypit the right info prior to flaming another owner. This only provides an opinion of a forum that is suppose to be offering knowledge, and individual thats suppose to be an intelligent pit owner.
What on earth are you talking about??? You're spewing myth as fact; of course you're going to get called on it. I care that people receive correct information, and your "blood thirst" thing is just pure BS.

http://rawfed.com/myths/bloodthirsty.html

· Registered
4,670 Posts
TashiasDad said:
If my reply to a post has gotten your panties in that big of a knott, by all means change them or dont wear any. I was merely stating what I know (maybe a myth) and what I have experienced (truth).
Spoken like a true male chauvanist who can't think of anything original to say. Gotta love it.

You touted your anectdotal evidence as truth and gave incorrect information to an entire forum of people. Never once did you say it was just your opinion. Please prove to me how your friend's "docile" pit bulls' eating of raw meat led them to "eventually" kill a cow. Prove to me that was the only factor in their attacking a cow, and maybe I'll consider your opinion as anything other than complete BS.

It really hurts my feelings that you don't like me. :( I see you still like the banner I made for you, though. Guess that has to count for something. :lol:

· Registered
4,670 Posts
TashiasDad said:
I never posted my reply as fact, only knowledge/experience gained. This thread has obviously become a waste for everone. I will stand firm and state its not good to feed DOGS red meat and the same goes for humans.
Can you show me some evidence (other than the story about your friends' pit bulls) that supports your opinion? I've gotten really curious about this and want to know why people think that raw meat turns otherwise docile pets into killers. I'd like to do some more research on it.

By "red meat" in your last sentence, I'm assuming you mean "raw meat." Do you think sushi is not good for people to eat? Do you think eating raw meat has the same effect in people (blood thirst), or are you more concerned about the parasites and bacteria that might be in raw meat?

· Registered
4,670 Posts
Cinder said:
Went to PetSmart last night and bought 12 cans of Avoderm wet food. It's all natural stuff, and I think it might be better than the Blue Buff.

Where do I find Merrick? They don't carry it there.
The specialty pet stores in my town sell Merrick. Bigger chains like Petco and Petsmart don't carry it, I don't believe. You could also check grooming salons in your town; they often sell food - both raw and kibble sometimes. Both of the grooming salons in my town carry some ultra premium foods. It's where I buy Timberwolf Organics for my dogs.

· Registered
4,670 Posts
orod390 said:
can someone rate this please? :

Ingredients:

Venison, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Lamb, Whole Ground Millet, Lamb Meal, Venison Meal, Whole Ground Barley, Low Ash Salmon Meal, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Wild Salmon Oil, Unrefined Walnut Oil, Atlantic Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Amaranth, Blueberries, Glucosomine, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Chickory Root, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols ( A Source of Vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine ( a source of vitamin B6), Copper Proteinate, Selenium Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

PROTEIN: 22%
FAT: 12%
FIBER: 5%
MOISTURE: 10%
A+++++ :D Is that Timberwolf Black Forest?

· Registered
4,670 Posts
orod390 said:
ya!!! :D Just ordered it for Max!!!!!!!! Can't wait.. getting rid of Nutro Natural Choice!
Good choice! I rotate my dogs among several varieties of Timberwolf, and they do really well on all of them. Black Forest is a little lower protein than some of the other varieties, but it is still a great food.

· Registered
4,670 Posts
tycosales said:
From the Petsmart website for a non- harvest baked
Authority Adult Formula With Real Lamb Adult Chunk with Real Lamb 4.5 lb
Top Ten
Ingredients Guaranteed Analysis
Lamb Meal
Brewers Rice
Corn Gluten Meal
Ground Wheat
Wheat Germ Meal
Lamb
Brown Rice
Rice Bran
Animal Fat
Chicken Liver Digest

No way to apply the formula but it appears the Harvest and the non-Harvest are the same price online
Wow...3 grain sources (in 6 forms!!!) in the first 10 ingredients! Stay far away from that food! :lol:

· Registered
4,670 Posts
Re: can anyone please score my dog food

BRQZ33 said:
for pedigree i searched on internet but no luck on score or rating
Pedigree is a really poor quality food. It's mostly fillers (corn) and by-products from unspecified animals (meat and bone meal, for example). Several Pedigree formulas are rated 1 star out of 6 on www.dogfoodanalysis.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.