Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
21 - 40 of 423 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
food for cheeto

Yes, the Tractor Supply does have lots of choices
I also went to a local Feed and Seed, they have the Diamond Mantanance formula, 50 lbs for $20
I am going to check out the ingredients on that one and rate it......

Thanks

· Registered
17 Posts
Thank-You

I found a much better food in Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice.Please don't hate me But petigree was what the suffered thru before. Now they have been on Nutro They love life.More active, happy,less shedding, over all better health.
Thank-you from Liberty & freedom for teaching me something great for my Bully's
Cathy

· Registered
6,256 Posts
Re: food for cheeto

ephemeral said:
Yes, the Tractor Supply does have lots of choices
I also went to a local Feed and Seed, they have the Diamond Mantanance formula, 50 lbs for $20
I am going to check out the ingredients on that one and rate it......

Thanks
Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F

Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B

Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A

Diamond Performance / Score 85 C

· Registered
1,435 Posts
Im sure this has been beaten to death - but can someone recommend a high quality puppy food that is reasonably priced? Im not sure what Annie's breeder will ween her to (waiting to hear back from him) but I want to have something else in mind in case it's not something great.

Thanks!

· Registered
81 Posts
Its a little sad really but you know there isnt a single food in Argentina that has two good meat sources, or a single food which list a pure meat source, ie Chicken as opposed to Chicken meal, aside from Eukanuba which comes with so much other terrible fillers its even worse.

Ironically the food I have Vital Can is one of the cheapest VET ONLY brands (not a supermarket sold brand) and yet it appears to be one of the best. Sure it only has Chicken Meal as its primary ingredient and it does have Meat Meal which isnt great, but it has all natural preservatives and very little chemicals unlike the others. The Royal Canin here comes with BHA and BHT included so im off that idea.

The only one close is a brand called Sieger which has Fish Meal as opposed to Meat meal. Sad really, id happily pay more for a better food for the dogs but there just isnt one to be had at all.

Not even brands like Innova nad Nutrience are here :(

Ive scoured the ingredients of every brand I can find here and they are all crap, most have sub products and by products or list grains and corns as their primary ingredient. At least mine has two meat source meals, although meat meal isnt ideal, chicken meal is fine.

Frustrating really, but I suppose thats how it goes.

· Registered
6,256 Posts
Tinkerbell said:
Im sure this has been beaten to death - but can someone recommend a high quality puppy food that is reasonably priced? Im not sure what Annie's breeder will ween her to (waiting to hear back from him) but I want to have something else in mind in case it's not something great.

Thanks!
I saw your other post, and thought I'd answer here. Most puppy food contain a higher protein content than adult foods. A puppy needs more protein to help grow, however I wouldn't feed puppy food. I would feed adult food, and just up the amount of food the dog eats. For example, Justice is 7 months old and 35 lbs. It is recommended that we feed her only 2 to 2.5 cups of food a day. She gets 3 to 3.5 depending on her activity level. She's a very hyper pup with a lot of energy and a high metabolism. Haus is lazier than she is, and he gets his recommended feeding at 4 cups a day(of course, he's an adult dog). I would urge you to talk to your vet about this. If you don't trust your vet's knowledge of dog nutrition, then find a dog nutrionist to speak to.

· Registered
14 Posts
Timberwolf?

I've never seen timberwolf before.

We'd been feeding Iams since thats what I always thought was the best (Boy was I wrong!). Red was allergic to the chicken protein in it, so we switched to Solid Gold Wolfcub and haven't looked back since.

Is the Timberwolf significantly better for the money? Seems to have rated the highest.

We're also using the Solid Gold Seameal suppliments in his food which he doesn't seem to mind at all.

· Registered
606 Posts
Knomad said:
Its a little sad really but you know there isnt a single food in Argentina that has two good meat sources, or a single food which list a pure meat source, ie Chicken as opposed to Chicken meal, aside from Eukanuba which comes with so much other terrible fillers its even worse.

Ironically the food I have Vital Can is one of the cheapest VET ONLY brands (not a supermarket sold brand) and yet it appears to be one of the best. Sure it only has Chicken Meal as its primary ingredient and it does have Meat Meal which isnt great, but it has all natural preservatives and very little chemicals unlike the others. The Royal Canin here comes with BHA and BHT included so im off that idea.

The only one close is a brand called Sieger which has Fish Meal as opposed to Meat meal. Sad really, id happily pay more for a better food for the dogs but there just isnt one to be had at all.

Not even brands like Innova nad Nutrience are here :(

Ive scoured the ingredients of every brand I can find here and they are all crap, most have sub products and by products or list grains and corns as their primary ingredient. At least mine has two meat source meals, although meat meal isnt ideal, chicken meal is fine.

Frustrating really, but I suppose thats how it goes.
Chicken Meal is fine... it's a misconception that people have.
As long as it's not chicken BY-PRODUCTS your pooch is safe.

California Natural scores an A , and the top ingredient is Chicken Meal.

A lot of the A grade foods have chicken meal or lamb meal....

· Registered
4,670 Posts
Re: Timberwolf?

lurene said:
I've never seen timberwolf before.

We'd been feeding Iams since thats what I always thought was the best (Boy was I wrong!). Red was allergic to the chicken protein in it, so we switched to Solid Gold Wolfcub and haven't looked back since.

Is the Timberwolf significantly better for the money? Seems to have rated the highest.

We're also using the Solid Gold Seameal suppliments in his food which he doesn't seem to mind at all.
I'm a huge advocate of Timberwolf. There is no better kibble on the market, in my opinion. Of course, not all dogs will do as well as others on it. It really comes down to finding what works best for your dog.

· Registered
62 Posts
Tinkerbell said:

Thanks!
Try DVP brands.. Very High grade and its for all life stages, pup to senior. I use it for my baby bull and my old lab and they love it.. and also try DVP meat rolls for your pup.. Meatroll in DVP dry and the bowl will be licked clean every time..

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/

· Registered
185 Posts
I tried scoring this Dog food and came up with 114 as the score could one of you take a look and see what you get for a score? I need to change our dogs food, they used to be on Canidae but since we moved 6 months ago I can't find it in this area and I have been using DVP Natural Balance Utlra and my dogs have been having soft poos ever since I changed (my hubby calls them the yard flap jacks! LOL!) So I am in need of a good food from either Petco or Petsmart which is what is near by....

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Pro...981680_familyID_100265.aspx?Ns=P_FamilyName|0

Castor & Pollux Natural Ultramix Adult Canine

Superior Protein Sources
Natural chicken is #1 on our ingredients list with five additional highly bioavailable proteins for optimal digestibility and great taste. Provides essential amino acids and the nutrients needed to help promote your dog's wellness by supporting a healthy skin and coat, strong, lean muscle mass and vitality.
Natural Fruits & Veggies
Pure, wholesome fruits and vegetables provide valuable nutrients, vitamins, minerals, enzymes and antioxidants for your dog. We simply dry the carrots, bananas, papaya, apples and blueberries and then blend with the Ultramix kibble. Don't be fooled by other diets that feature fruits and veggies in the ingredients list - you can't even see them in the kibble! And because they're usually processed under high heat they retain only minimal nutritional value...not so with NATURAL ULTRAMIX!

Rich Sources of Carbohydrates
Potatoes, ground whole barley and grains provide essential vitamins and minerals as well as a balanced source of sustainable energy.

Essential Vitamins & Minerals
Fortified with essential vitamins and minerals and balanced to meet the needs of your adult dog.

Additional Benefits
Flaxseed, Glucosamine and Chondroitin (naturally sourced from chicken cartilage), and Omega Fatty Acids. Combined to promote wellness and help maximize the time you'll spend with your best friend.

No By-Products
No Fillers
No Wheat
No Corn
No Growth Hormones
No Artificial Preservatives, Colors or Flavors
Ultramix Adult Canine Formula is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for maintenance.

Ingredients:
Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Oats Groats, Potatoes, Turkey Meal, Chicken Fat preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (form of vitamin E), Fruit and Vegetable Mix (Dried Carrots, Dried Bananas, Dried Papaya, Dried Apples, Dried Blueberries), Salmon Meal, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Natural Chicken Flavor, Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Chicken Cartilage. Monocalcium Phospate, Ascorbyl-2 Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C). Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Maganese Proteinate. Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement. Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate. Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1). Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6). Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin K1 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement. Cobalt Carbonate,Yeast Culture (Saccharomyes Cerevisiae), Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacilus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergilus Niger Fermentaion Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract and Fermentation Solubles.

Feeding Directions
Ultramix Adult Canine Formula may be served dry, right from the bag, or moist. Either way, it will provide your dog with 100% complete and balanced nutrition that's tasty too! To serve moist, simply add one part warm water to four parts Ultramix Adult Canine Formula. Stir until pieces become moistened and feed while still warm.
Help your dog maintain good body condition and try not to allow him or her to become overweight. Each dog's food intake varies depending on age, activity level, environment and other stress factors. Please adjust your dog's feeding amount using the chart below as a guide.

Ultramix Canine Weight Management Formula provides a quality, nutritionally balanced food for the maintenance of adult dogs. This formula is not intended as the sole diet for growing puppies, very active dogs, hard working dogs, pregnant or lactating female dogs. These types of dogs have special nutritional needs and require a different balance of protein, calories, and other nutrients.

Daily Feeding Amounts*
Dog Size/ Weight: Daily Amount*
Toy Breeds/ 3-12 lbs: feed ¼ - ½ c
Small/ 13-25 lbs: feed 1/2 - 1 c
Medium/ 26-50 lbs: feed 1 - 2 c
Large/ 51-100 lbs: 2 - 4 c
Extra Large/ 100+ lbs: 4 c plus

*Amounts based on standard 8 oz. dry measuring cup.
**Add 1/2 cup for every 10 lbs of body weight over 100 lbs

The Castor & Pollux 100% Unconditional Guarantee: If for any reason you aren’t satisfied with this product, return it, or call us. It’s okay, we still love you. After all, we’re pets. 1-800-875-7518.
Crude Protein, min 26.00%, Crude Fat, min 14.00%, Crude Fiber, max 3.00%, Moisture, max 10.00%, Calcium, min 1.00%, Phosphorus, min 0.90%, Omega 6 Fatty Acids, min 2.00%*, Omega 3 Fatty Acids, min 0.28%*, Glucosamine, min 150 ppm*, Chondroitin Sulfate, min 75 ppm*.
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile

· Registered
1,477 Posts
hey

How would the royal canin large breed puppy be for a growing OEB?

· Registered
635 Posts
I'm feeding Sassy Diamond "Natural" Large Breed puppy Lamb & Rice; according to my calculations I come up with 105. Does anybody else use this food and have theydone the math ? I'm curious if they get the same number. There are some Diamond scores early in this thread, but they don't say it's the natural large breed puppy.

She's very healthy (REGULAR NORMAL POOPS TOO) so I don't see switching to something until she goes on adult food. Very reasonably priced.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
tycosales said:
I'm feeding Sassy Diamond "Natural" Large Breed puppy Lamb & Rice; according to my calculations I come up with 105. Does anybody else use this food and have theydone the math ? I'm curious if they get the same number. There are some Diamond scores early in this thread, but they don't say it's the natural large breed puppy.

She's very healthy (REGULAR NORMAL POOPS TOO) so I don't see switching to something until she goes on adult food. Very reasonably priced.
It's certainly better than a lot of the foods out there. The Diamond foods (or any food for that matter) to stay away from are the ones with corn in it. 105 seems a bit high though, but if your dog is doing good on it I wouldn't bother changing it. I wouldn't worry about scoring it either.

· Registered
12,980 Posts
Atticus gets prescription K/O dog food, I think Eukanuba is the brand...not sure, but it's prescription from the vet, b/c it contains no wheat in it. 67 dollars for a 30 pound bag. We also mix in Blue Buff wet food.

· Registered
2,239 Posts
Cinder said:
Atticus gets prescription K/O dog food, I think Eukanuba is the brand...not sure, but it's prescription from the vet, b/c it contains no wheat in it. 67 dollars for a 30 pound bag. We also mix in Blue Buff wet food.
I would cut out the vet food.... there are many more good foods out there without wheat in them that are MUCH cheaper.

If you look here at DVP Natural Balance Potato and Duck there is no wheat:
Potatoes, Duck, Duck Meal, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Potato Fiber, DL-methionine, L-Lysine, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Rosemary Extract, Natural Flavor, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Vitamin K1 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9).

I pay $40ish for 30lbs and I can get it at Petco and its better then Eukanuba products

· Registered
2,239 Posts
Re: hey

DogSoldier said:
How would the royal canin large breed puppy be for a growing OEB?
I would check the protien content of it. You do not want to overload a puppy with protien. If it is not too high, then it should be okay to feed a puppy. Many people never feed their puppy a "puppy food"

21 - 40 of 423 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.