Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
41 - 60 of 423 Posts

· Registered
12,980 Posts
Kate said:
Cinder said:
Atticus gets prescription K/O dog food, I think Eukanuba is the brand...not sure, but it's prescription from the vet, b/c it contains no wheat in it. 67 dollars for a 30 pound bag. We also mix in Blue Buff wet food.
I would cut out the vet food.... there are many more good foods out there without wheat in them that are MUCH cheaper.

If you look here at DVP Natural Balance Potato and Duck there is no wheat:
Potatoes, Duck, Duck Meal, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Potato Fiber, DL-methionine, L-Lysine, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Rosemary Extract, Natural Flavor, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Vitamin K1 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9).

I pay $40ish for 30lbs and I can get it at Petco and its better then Eukanuba products

We have tried to cut out the vet food and switch him over to what you have suggested, but everytime we do, he ends up with a wicked case of colitis, so we figured it was worth it to just pay the 20 dollars extra, vice the vet bill every time his tummy gets upset. Trust me, I would prefer he eat something just as good and cheaper, too. :(

· Registered
4,670 Posts
Kate said:
Cinder said:
Atticus gets prescription K/O dog food, I think Eukanuba is the brand...not sure, but it's prescription from the vet, b/c it contains no wheat in it. 67 dollars for a 30 pound bag. We also mix in Blue Buff wet food.
I would cut out the vet food.... there are many more good foods out there without wheat in them that are MUCH cheaper.

If you look here at DVP Natural Balance Potato and Duck there is no wheat:
Potatoes, Duck, Duck Meal, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Potato Fiber, DL-methionine, L-Lysine, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Rosemary Extract, Natural Flavor, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Vitamin K1 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9).

I pay $40ish for 30lbs and I can get it at Petco and its better then Eukanuba products
I see that the DVP Potato and Duck lists potato as the first ingredient. Do people who feed this food do so just because of the lower chance of a dog having allergies to the ingredients? I don't think I would feed my dogs a food with a starch as the first ingredient unless I absolutely had to. I'm just curious about that.

· Registered
2,239 Posts
Cinder said:
We have tried to cut out the vet food and switch him over to what you have suggested, but everytime we do, he ends up with a wicked case of colitis, so we figured it was worth it to just pay the 20 dollars extra, vice the vet bill every time his tummy gets upset. Trust me, I would prefer he eat something just as good and cheaper, too. :(
hmmmm see I had that problem with Kate when she was on Royal Canine so that is the only reason I switched to DVP. Maybe it isnt the wheat that is doing it then. hmmmm I'm stumped now lol did you use the potato and duck or a different formula?

· Registered
12,980 Posts
Kate said:
Cinder said:
hmmmm see I had that problem with Kate when she was on Royal Canine so that is the only reason I switched to DVP. Maybe it isnt the wheat that is doing it then. hmmmm I'm stumped now lol did you use the potato and duck or a different formula?

I'm not sure what we used. We have tried every little darn thing to figure out what's affecting him adversely. Well, we aren't 110% sure that it's the wheat, but since he's been eating this wheatless stuff, he's been fine. Now you've got ME stumped. ;)

· Registered
2,239 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
I see that the DVP Potato and Duck lists potato as the first ingredient. Do people who feed this food do so just because of the lower chance of a dog having allergies to the ingredients? I don't think I would feed my dogs a food with a starch as the first ingredient unless I absolutely had to. I'm just curious about that.
It is a hypoallergenic food. It still has 21% protien which is very compareable to other ones I have looked at I believe

Edit: I just looked at one of the timberwolfs forumlas and it was 22% protein

· Registered
45 Posts
Re: Is anyone else confused

iluvmypit said:
You know that saying....something about too much information - my head is spinning...

Does anyone have a suggestion on a standard weekly menu for a 8 week old pup - we wanna fatten up?

Yeup! Cheese! I was told to try cheese cubes on here to train and now the dog always wants cheese. She is now 11 months old and 72 pounds. I also feed her Authority Harvest Baked.

· Registered
154 Posts
Cheese really? - I always thought cheese was one of those things not to give dogs - O well plenty of myths out there iI supose.

I actually bought a steak for Nelson over the weekend - he loved it - ate it all - I couldnt believe my eyes? He hasnt been sick or anything yet so it looks like raw is ok for puppies - how often should I feel raw meat and how much? Can someone help? Should all his food be raw or is it like a 3 times a week thing?

· Registered
45 Posts
I am sure I will get flamed by someone for this. But, I would not feed a dog raw meat. Would you eat it? There is a recipe out there for show dogs that requires raw ground beef and geletin and some other crap. I wont do it for the sake of the raw meat. Its just not right. Just cuz a dog can lick his own balls doesnt mean I will try mine. .....lol

I would just like to add that if you own a PITBULL, giving them the taste of blood (raw meat) is a serious mistake. Pitbulls are a lovable breed but they have lines that have to be recognized. I had a friend that had two pits, they were the most docile loving animals. One day one got the taste of blood and than eventually killed one of the cows he had on his land. He went right out with a 45 and shot it instantly. Now others will think thats inhumane but its like a child molester, they do it once (put em down) they will do it again.

· Registered
4,670 Posts
TashiasDad said:
I am sure I will get flamed by someone for this. But, I would not feed a dog raw meat. Would you eat it? There is a recipe out there for show dogs that requires raw ground beef and geletin and some other crap. I wont do it for the sake of the raw meat. Its just not right. Just cuz a dog can lick his own balls doesnt mean I will try mine. .....lol
Do you (or would you) eat kibble?

· Registered
4,670 Posts
TashiasDad said:
Yes I would! And that is no BS. The body will only digest what it is capable of and also what you structure it around.

Now would you eat it! If you wouldnt, than your reply was a waste of time.
And the human body and canine body are structured differently, as I'm sure you're aware. The canine body is perfectly capable of digesting raw meat, even though yours isn't. Dogs have only been eating kibble for a few decades, and they certainly weren't structured to eat kibble.

I don't think anyone has a problem with you not feeding your dog raw meat, but when you come on a forum where many people promote raw feeding and say "It's just not right," well, that just isn't right. :lol:

· Registered
4,670 Posts
TashiasDad said:
I would just like to add that if you own a PITBULL, giving them the taste of blood (raw meat) is a serious mistake. Pitbulls are a lovable breed but they have lines that have to be recognized. I had a friend that had two pits, they were the most docile loving animals. One day one got the taste of blood and than eventually killed one of the cows he had on his land. He went right out with a 45 and shot it instantly. Now others will think thats inhumane but its like a child molester, they do it once (put em down) they will do it again.
Get out of here with that crap! Seriously. It's one of the biggest pit bull myths around, and I can't believe a caring, responsible, supposedly educated pit bull owner would come here and spout that crap!

Does your pit bull have locking jaws, too? :roll:

· Registered
45 Posts
First off, I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you. If you felt differant you would have helped them out. But like all forums, people are to busy to offer insight because a questioned may have been posed a 1000 times. BUT! They have no problem flaming someone for an answer that...They didnt find warranted an answer or was too time consuming.

I do know that a pit is capable of malitious distruction if not trained right. Thus the stereotypical BS associated with them. Is a German Shepard not the top ranking dog for human bites. Thats probably fiction also. Pits were bread for fighting and most of us will try to extinguish that myth in the way we raise our pits. *why am I explaining myself* Whatever the case, I would not feed by 11 month pit (child) red meat. DO YOU FEED YOUR CHILD RAW MEAT!

If you feel it proper to bust my balls than do so but atleast take a moment to give iluvmypit the right info prior to flaming another owner. This only provides an opinion of a forum that is suppose to be offering knowledge, and individual thats suppose to be an intelligent pit owner.

· Registered
154 Posts
TashiasDad - I honestly had the some of the same ideas of you like - maybe feeding raw would encourage a blood thirst. I do not believe that now. Can I suggest that you look at the site I posted above it explains that there is a difference between human/dog digestive systems and why raw is the best for them.

Humans and dogs are different, you would easily give a child chocolate, grapes and other normalhuman foods - if you give this to a dog it can actually kill them.

Im sure you want the best for Tashia as I do for Nelson so have a read thru and let me know your thoughts - everyone is entitled to their opinion, but being informed just backs it up...

· Registered
45 Posts
No hard feelings here. I realize now that one must take what is provided and use what they can. Everytone will isist they are the final word.

As for the myths, Chocolate does not kill dogs. My previous was a Golden Retreiver. She got a bag of Semi-Sweet Morsals and ate the whole bag....one pound. Never a problem other than like a child she was very hyper. The dog loved chocolate chip cookies after that. I prefer to not make the same mistakes.

Whatever the case, take what you read..................and get a second opinion. I was only offering my experience. Opinions are like *******'s. everyone has one. Obviously, there are more than what we have.

· Registered
4,670 Posts
TashiasDad said:
First off, I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you. If you felt differant you would have helped them out. But like all forums, people are to busy to offer insight because a questioned may have been posed a 1000 times. BUT! They have no problem flaming someone for an answer that...They didnt find warranted an answer or was too time consuming.

I do know that a pit is capable of malitious distruction if not trained right. Thus the stereotypical BS associated with them. Is a German Shepard not the top ranking dog for human bites. Thats probably fiction also. Pits were bread for fighting and most of us will try to extinguish that myth in the way we raise our pits. *why am I explaining myself* Whatever the case, I would not feed by 11 month pit (child) red meat. DO YOU FEED YOUR CHILD RAW MEAT!

If you feel it proper to bust my balls than do so but atleast take a moment to give iluvmypit the right info prior to flaming another owner. This only provides an opinion of a forum that is suppose to be offering knowledge, and individual thats suppose to be an intelligent pit owner.
What on earth are you talking about??? You're spewing myth as fact; of course you're going to get called on it. I care that people receive correct information, and your "blood thirst" thing is just pure BS.

http://rawfed.com/myths/bloodthirsty.html

· Registered
2,239 Posts
TashiasDad said:
Whatever the case, I would not feed by 11 month pit (child) red meat. DO YOU FEED YOUR CHILD RAW MEAT!
Like stated above, humans and dogs have very different digestive systems. Some people believe 100% in the RAW diet. It has made their sick unhealthy dogs perfectly healthy normal dogs. I know you love your dog just like a child, but a dog is NOT human child.

Please read through this... it gives some stories about "blood thirst" and might clear some things up for you http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=10527&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

· Registered
45 Posts
What on earth are you talking about??? You're spewing myth as fact; of course you're going to get called on it. I care that people receive correct information, and your "blood thirst" thing is just pure BS.

http://rawfed.com/myths/bloodthirsty.html[/quote]

Thats written by Carissa Kuehn. "Unless otherwise stated, all pages have been written by and are the property of Carissa Kuehn" A Science teacher at the Whitney High School in California. Now unless you plan to find some way of pointing out another fallacy of mine with good intent or concrete evidence. I find it to be just as strong as the following statement.

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. or cause dogs to love blood and hunt (lol, I added that if you didnt know or prefer to look it up)

As for calling me on something, you still have not provided info for iluvmypit as a caring God fearing human would, only a link that I find to still be not hard evidence. Be is as it may, my ignorance may be my own. If my reply to a post has gotten your panties in that big of a knott, by all means change them or dont wear any. I was merely stating what I know (maybe a myth) and what I have experienced (truth).

I will now reliquish the podium to you the almighty dog owner of OZ before I lower myself to posting another opinion or myth. That being my personal opinion (myth) of the type of person I truly find you to be.

41 - 60 of 423 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.