Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes i did read the sticky with the dog food ratings...right now i feed my pup Innova large breed puppy food...he's almost 6 months (so i guess i should switch him to adult food at that point right?)...My question is that the Kirkland food is so much less expensive (and i live next to Costco and buy everything there lol), so if its really a good food than i would like to switch due to the $$...i know the Kirkland has beat pulp (which i have read has recently shown an increased risk of diabetes in dogs as they age)...but the Innova has sunflower oil (which i see on the dog food rating they get a point for, but i have info that the Swedish National Cancer Society recommends against using sunflower oil because their study showed a 69% risk increase of cancer by using sunflower oil, so im not sure why that would be a positive point on the scale?)....So basically Im just trying to get the best food for the money, any advice would be appreciated...

And one more question...dont know if i'll get flamed for this...but i recently had my dog nuetered(male), after advice from the vet...but my breeder doesnt like to nueter them till 2 years old so they can reach their genetic potential for muscle mass (I wish i would have talked to him first and i would have waited)...so my question that im sure i will get yelled at for, is there any supplements for dogs that increase their testosterone levels? If its something someone would like to talk to me about through PM or email thats fine with me...

Thank you all for your time and help!

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
I feed my dogs Kirkland Chicken and Rice. It's made by and almost identical to Diamond. I live on the Outer Banks, NC and drive to Costco in Norfolk, VA for food b/c it's good and so much cheaper. It gets a high rating on the food scale, too.

~S

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
kirkland food is pretty decent stuff, I wouldn't worry about the beet pulp (it's just a natural sweetener and trust me the average doggie cookie is LOADED with sugar). As for muscle mass, genetically he will be what he will be. I've seen dogs neutered as young as 6 weeks old and still grow to their full potential. My friend's pit was neutered at 8 weeks and he weighs 65 pounds right now and is very muscular.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
I think it's kind of odd that you find a vet that waits that long. Some of the vets I have talked to have said that waiting that long makes it more difficult on the dog and the recovery time. Plus a lot of vets end up WANTING to restrict the rate at which a dog grows, for health reasons on their bones/hips.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Cinder said:
I think it's kind of odd that you find a vet that waits that long. Some of the vets I have talked to have said that waiting that long makes it more difficult on the dog and the recovery time. Plus a lot of vets end up WANTING to restrict the rate at which a dog grows, for health reasons on their bones/hips.
I agree.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
your dog will reach his full potential, even if he is neutered.

i dont know what the study was but i know there was a study done about it and it showed the difference between matured males that are netuered and not neutered is very small and not actually noticeable

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I feed managirl the Kirkland Lamb and Rice. She's kinda sensitive, and that's the one that she likes best!

·
Registered
149 Posts
My mom had a large Old English Sheepdog and she fed it Kirkland chicken and rice and the sweet dog lived to be 15 years old.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.