Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a beatiful Brindle and White AB, he is 3 months and when ever I take him out people comment on how good he looks. I think I want to stud hi, what do's and don'ts should I know about studing. and how old should he be before studing? :?:

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Please don't breed your dog just because people think he looks good. There's so much more to ethical breeding than that! There are many threads on this subject. Do a search for "breeding" or "backyard breeding."

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
:banghead:
oh dear, i hope you are ready for this can of worms

first off, he is a three month old puppy, he has a LONG way to go before you should even consider breeding him.
there are numerous different things that you really should do to prove your dog before breeding. just what makes him breedworthy?
health: his hips should be xrayed on or after his second birthday to ensure he has no evidence of dysplasia, as well as checking his elbows.
he should be tested for ncl, a deadly disease in the ab line.
also thyroid and heart.
after that you need to make sure that his temperament is up to snuff. there are ways to test and prove this as well. you could start with a cgc(cgn in canada) an a.t.t. obtain a gdt or get a sch bh on him. all of these things will help you prove his temperament to prove he is "worthy" of being bred.
next, as he IS a WORKING breed i suggest you get some working titles on him. ie: sch, ring, weightpull, catchwork. any of these things will help prove that the dog can do what he was developed and born to to.
fourth: a conformation title of some sort. this proves that, not only does joe blow on the street think he is "pretty" but, professional dedicated ab people that have years of experience in the breed do too.

after you have taken care of these thing THEN you want to check into your boys pedigree and make sure that there are no demons hiding there. skin , heart, ncl ect.ect.ect. genetic issues that your boy may pass on to future puppies he may have.
then you will, of course, want to find a female that is just as good, if not better , that your boy so you KNOW you are producing puppies that will help better this beautiful breed and do no harm to it.

also having a nice list of people that are also interested in a puppy. other than yourself of course because why would you breed a litter if you don't even want one , or two, of those puppies. carefully screenin those people to make sure they will be good and responsible homes for all your puppies is a must as well

these are some of the things you should take care of BEFORE you think about "studing" your dog

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx for the feed back, I have three ABs and he is the only one that so many people have commented on. Well I wasn't planning on jumping right into it, but that is a good stuff to know..

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Take a look at my pitbull Chapps, or Leeann.Bella.Remy's Bella....2 gorgious bluenose pitbulls who, IMO, are absolutely breath taking. The best thing you can do is fix your dog, gorgious or not...please!!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
ChappsnHolly said:
Take a look at my pitbull Chapps, or Leeann.Bella.Remy's Bella....2 gorgious bluenose pitbulls who, IMO, are absolutely breath taking. The best thing you can do is fix your dog, gorgious or not...please!!
Well, thank you! I still think Bella and Chapps would have had very sexy puppies. :lol:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
attitude said:
first off, he is a three month old puppy, he has a LONG way to go before you should even consider breeding him.
there are numerous different things that you really should do to prove your dog before breeding. just what makes him breedworthy?
health: his hips should be xrayed on or after his second birthday to ensure he has no evidence of dysplasia, as well as checking his elbows.
he should be tested for ncl, a deadly disease in the ab line.
also thyroid and heart.
after that you need to make sure that his temperament is up to snuff. there are ways to test and prove this as well. you could start with a cgc(cgn in canada) an a.t.t. obtain a gdt or get a sch bh on him. all of these things will help you prove his temperament to prove he is "worthy" of being bred.
next, as he IS a WORKING breed i suggest you get some working titles on him. ie: sch, ring, weightpull, catchwork. any of these things will help prove that the dog can do what he was developed and born to to.
fourth: a conformation title of some sort. this proves that, not only does joe blow on the street think he is "pretty" but, professional dedicated ab people that have years of experience in the breed do too.

after you have taken care of these thing THEN you want to check into your boys pedigree and make sure that there are no demons hiding there. skin , heart, ncl ect.ect.ect. genetic issues that your boy may pass on to future puppies he may have.
then you will, of course, want to find a female that is just as good, if not better , that your boy so you KNOW you are producing puppies that will help better this beautiful breed and do no harm to it.

also having a nice list of people that are also interested in a puppy. other than yourself of course because why would you breed a litter if you don't even want one , or two, of those puppies. carefully screenin those people to make sure they will be good and responsible homes for all your puppies is a must as well

these are some of the things you should take care of BEFORE you think about "studing" your dog
That was a super response! Great post Attitude :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts