Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maia just came into season, which took me a bit by surprise- I knew it could happen this early, but I really wasn't expecting it for another month or so. I'm a bit upset, actually, because I'm saving up to get her spayed, but I don't have enough yet.

So now she's stuck inside all the time, only allowed out in the garden on the lead to go to the toilet. She's not very happy about it and misses her walks, so I wanted to find out how long I have to wait before she's safe to be outside again?

I must say, I thought we'd be besieged by every dog in the neighbourhood, but so far we haven't even had one sniffing around.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Typically 21 days. They will begin to stand for the male anywhere from day 8-12, her standing phase is anywhere from 4-9 days typically.

When you are asking about "safe to be outside again" is she typically let out in a fenced yard? You can let her out in a fenced yard with *minimal* worry for the first week (but be aware of her) but starting the second week, you should keep an eye on her. You can still let her out, if no dogs can get into the yard, but watch her, and look out for fence jumpers.

If you don't have a fenced yard to turn her out in, then she should be on a leash at all times anyway.

She is urinating more often, because her instincts are to scent mark as much as possible to attract a mate. Dogs may not come around till she's ready to stand for the male, when her hormones change again. Dog's know these things. LOL

In the meantime... get her a toy that dispenses treats, or a ball or Kong that you can stuff treats into to give her some mental activity while she is under house arrest.

Give her a hug, and a big carob treat from all us girls!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yes...about 3 weeks...

...it was such a pain when we were actively showing (years ago)...because we had a male and female at that time...my poor girl had to spend most of those 3 weeks crated... :shock:

Thankfully we were living on a rather isolated acerage at the time...no dogs roaming about - but still, you never know who gets 'wind' of it and have to stay vigilent the entire time...

·
Registered
172 Posts
You can still walk her while she is in heat, I always walk mine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice everybody! I'm possibly being a tiny bit paranoid keeping her on the leash even in the back garden, but the fence isn't very high (easily jumpable by a large dog), but I'm definately not going to take any chances, because I really do not want puppies! Especially not at her age, far too young - her mother had her at 15 months, and it had a really bad effect on her mum's health.
No- we're going to get through this accident-free, then she's going to the vet as soon as I get my back pay from my pay rise!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts