Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is expieriencing a false preg.? How long does this last? I was told by the vet that it will last the full term of a pregnancy. Someone else told me only three weeks. If someone knows for sure can you please tell me. My dog is nesting as if to have puppies but the x-ray showed none.

·
Registered
15 Posts
False Pregnancy

Hello, my name is Dean and I have experienced the same situation with my dog.

My dog had a false pregnancy in her first heat, she went through all of the symptoms of being pregnant.
During her second heat she began lactating and still looks as if she has given birth, her second heat cycle was in October 2005.
And I could not get a definite answer from her Vet either.
If you find out anything please post it.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
It can vary from dog to dog...Scarlet had this when she had her first heat in Nov. Hers lasted about 1 month. There are different severities of it as well. Here are some sites I hope this helps...

http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/pet_health/falsepregnancyinpets.cfm
http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/false.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_false_pregnancy.html

Seems if she is nesting and showing that well she may have a more serious case. Scarlet had mild false preg. she only had tits...no belly and no milk. Good luck with this!

·
Registered
297 Posts
If I understood right Angela you bred her to a male when she has been in heat, so it will last the full term of a pregnancy and when the female is lactating a couple of weeks after she should gave birth.
That is my experience of it, when a female was bred.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If symptoms are mild, treatment is unnecessary as the condition resolves within 3 weeks. It may be tempting to put warm compresses on the breasts or wrap them to prevent milk leakage causing stains in the house. It is important to remember that any touching of the mammary tissue is what stimulates milk production so it is important to minimize tactile stimulation. If the female is licking herself, she may need an Elizabethan collar to minimize stimulation.

If a more aggressive approach is needed, a diuretic such as furosemide can be prescribed. The idea is that mild dehydration will end the lactation. Some people may want to try water deprivation but this is potentially dangerous and should not be attempted without specific veterinary guidance.

If this doesn’t work, hormonal medications can be used. Progesterone can be used but after the course of medication is complete, the false pregnancy recurs so this is not a good choice. Estrogens are also not a good choice as they bring the dog back into estrus symptoms. A week’s course of the male hormone mibolerone has generally been successful but the medication is no longer available.

Hormones that inhibit prolactin (the hormone of milk production) are currently the best choices when medications are needed. Bromocryptine can be obtained from a compounding pharmacy and given until lactation ceases (about a week or two) but tends to cause upset stomach. Cabergoline has fewer side effects but is given similarly and tends to be more expensive. Both these medications will cause abortion if the dog actually turns out to be pregnant so it is important to be sure.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well she would be due now anyday if she was or is pregnant. Worse case possible is that the vet just couldn't see a pup or two in the x-ray. I saw two different vets at the same hospital. The first one I saw was on vacation and she told me the uterus looked enlarged but she couldn't see any pups at that time. The second one thought by looking at her she was preg. but she said the x-ray showed no pups so we will see.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I x-rayed her on what we thought was day 45 but that was going by the first mating so she could have been 3 to 4 days behind. The second was 10 days later. I can squeeze milk from her teets now. Is this normal with false preg. She is still nesting.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes it is normal, nesting, milk aso. because she was bred and some females show it up without to be bred to any males. Anyway you can scan up to day 30 to 32 days and x-ray up to day 57!!! Not possible to see any pups at day 45!!! I'm wondering why your vet x-ray her so early? Does she has a belly? ???

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As of the last x-ray she had gained a total of 6 pounds but the vet said even with false preg she will gain weight. The first vet didn't have much preg. expierience she told me.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Dixie is due, and absolutly huge, and has only gained 4 extra pounds. She is stepping on herself, that is ho wbig she is

·
Registered
297 Posts
angela doran said:
As of the last x-ray she had gained a total of 6 pounds but the vet said even with false preg she will gain weight. The first vet didn't have much preg. expierience she told me.
6 pounds is a lot, did you feed her more than usually? If not why she gain 6 pounds? When you lay your hand on her belly and keep it on for a while you should feel the puppys kicking even there is only one. What date did you breed her?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bred her Dec. 14 and Dec.17. I thought I felt movement right beneath her rib cage a few times but I was told that there's no puppies so I stopped feeling for them. I kinda felt stupid after I told the vet I felt movement and she told me no pups.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts