Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know people have posted about how long they walk their dogs for but heres my issue --- as many of you know Magnum had her ACL repaired in Decemeber and she is not supposed to have ANY off leash activity until at least the end of March. She is starting to get stir crazy in the house. Yesterday I took her for a walk and we got about 45 minutes into it and she started limping - favoring her other back leg (the one she didnt have the surgery on) - so I turned around and brought her home - but it took ANOTHER 45 minutes to get home because of the path we walk. So she was limping the entire way. What I am wondering is this - the vet said she could do any walking she wanted too as far as distances no restrictions on that he said its good for her --- but how far/long is too long to push her??!?!?! I don't want her to be in pain but I also noticed she is getting a little chunky since the surgery because she hasnt been taking any long walks - what is you opinion on this? How should I approach it?!?!? She seems to have plenty of energy to walk and wants to keep going, I can just see that it is hurting her at some point.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
be very careful with her knees. don't push her and limit the walks to 10-15 minutes. your vet should have told you she can only be outside for bathroom priveleges.

my rott had both kness done. 1st one when she was 2. it was very painful for all of us involved. she wouldn't eat or drink. would barely get up to go outside.

for the 2nd knee, i took her to a different vet and he did a wonderful job. she walked out of the office and had no problem walking on it. however, my stepfather would let her out during the day when i was at work. not a good thing.

now, 5 years later she's very limited in what she does. one of the screws screwed it's way out which demanded another surgery. when getting in and out of the car, we have to lift her (100+ lbs)...

so please for your baby's sake, don't overdue it. she will always have a limp when she wears it out. :(

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
snarky said:
be very careful with her knees. don't push her and limit the walks to 10-15 minutes. your vet should have told you she can only be outside for bathroom priveleges.

my rott had both kness done. 1st one when she was 2. it was very painful for all of us involved. she wouldn't eat or drink. would barely get up to go outside.

for the 2nd knee, i took her to a different vet and he did a wonderful job. she walked out of the office and had no problem walking on it. however, my stepfather would let her out during the day when i was at work. not a good thing.

now, 5 years later she's very limited in what she does. one of the screws screwed it's way out which demanded another surgery. when getting in and out of the car, we have to lift her (100+ lbs)...

so please for your baby's sake, don't overdue it. she will always have a limp when she wears it out. :(
Snarky - Magnum did not have the kind of surgery where she had an pins or anything put in. B/c she only weighs about 35/40 lbs they did the kind of repair where it is basically like rope/ligament re-sown into the knee. And the surgeon who did it, who has been my vet since she was 8 weeks old, told me that any amount of exercise was fine for her as long as she appeared to be handling it okay. He actually encouraged long walks, etc to loosen up the knee --- just as long as shes not off leash for another month. She had the surgery the first week of December so its been almost 3 months now. I certainly dont want to overdue it with her - but he told me that she should be doing long walks - so im confused

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
oh i see. no screws or pins... lucky dog!

i would just take it easy on her. do the 15 min walk each way. however, she will probably always have a limp after a hard day of play.

it sounds like your vet knows what they are saying, but trust your instinct. since you're asking us the question you probably already know the answer. take baby steps.

best wishes to you and your baby, may she heal quickly :)

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Maybe she was limping because she was using her good leg to hold the balance of her weight because she was afraid to use her repaired limb?

This is just a thought and not a bit of professional opinion is behind it but I know some athletes have this issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts