Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Do you go camping with your dogs?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you here like to go camping and bring your dogs along? If yes, what type of camping do you do (tent, trailer etc) and where do you prefer to camp? I love camping (just got back from our first trip of the year) and I really find it to be a great time to spend lots of time with my dogs and do things that quite often I don't have time to do with them. It's nice being off work, and taking a break from formal training at my club to just hang out going for leisurely walks around the campground and letting them soak up the attention of all the people who want to stop and pet them. I get them working by taking them for runs alongside my bike in a nice peaceful setting away from traffic, etc... I did do a little obedience training with them to pass the time and I just couldn't resist doing some work with them in a different place with different distractions. We camp in a trailer and like to go to the Provincial Parks around Ontario where they are quite naturistic rather than parking lot style camping. :D Anways, how many of you go camping with your dogs?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
We've been camping twice this year with Lucy and Digger. Once with our Camper, and this past weekend in the tent. The camper was MUCH better!! Lucy didn't care to sleep in the tent, and she escaped when we were sleeping :shock: She opened the flap, fortunately my friend was already up, grabed her and woke me up. The next night I put a paper clip through the zippers so she couldn't get out. Camper is so much nicer, cause I can bring her crate.

When we go camping its normally for a ball tournement, so its not really relaxing, cause we are so busy. Lucy loves all the attention she gets though. I definately will get more difficult with a little puppy, but I CAN'T wait!!! :D

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I DO I DO!!! We actually just took our first trip of the season this past weekend too...so hard to come back home!!! We found a nice little place called Rock Island, it's one of Tennessee's national parks. Very nice and secluded place, and not a lot of traffic...we prefer it that way due to having the dogs & not all people like the bullies. The kids in the camp play with the dogs & we have a blast. It started storming on us Saturday night, and the people camping next to us had this HUGE, and I mean HUGE, rv camper, and they offered to let us, dogs and all, stay in there out of the rain!!! We've only had issues a few times with our dogs - as far as people not liking them due to their breed. This was the first time we had both dogs, so I was worried at first, but it ended up turning into an awesome weekend, and we're already planning our next trip!!! :D

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I want to go to Algonquin park this summer if I can. I am making one big trip south past Burks falls and eventually east to Belleville and will be passing by Algonquin Park early in the trip, and while coming back, but I have to plan it out right to make sure I can do everything that I want to do. I need to meet up with a trainer, visit Calvin and also visit another registered kennel (of IOEBA registered OBB's). Going to be a busy but fun summer.

ps: glad to hear your trip went well :D

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
redbull said:
I want to go to Algonquin park this summer if I can. I am making one big trip south past Burks falls and eventually east to Belleville and will be passing by Algonquin Park early in the trip, and while coming back, but I have to plan it out right to make sure I can do everything that I want to do. I need to meet up with a trainer, visit Calvin and also visit another registered kennel (of IOEBA registered OBB's). Going to be a busy but fun summer.
We camped in Algonquin Park last September. We stayed in Canisbay Campground . There are lots to pick from but most are pretty wide open and not private at all. It's because of the evergreen type trees that have no coverage on the bottom so you can see right straight through to everyone elses sites in alot of the campgrounds. Canisbay offered the most privacy at the sites. Do you camp in a tent or trailer? I know there are some good back woods type spots away from civilization that would be good for tenting it. You should also check out Arrowhead Prov Park just outside Huntsville. We are going there in October they have some really nice sites, walking trails, canoeing etc. The sites are all very private and a good distance away from your neighbours. It's also only about 45 minutes from Algonquin if you want to do a day trip and only about 30 mins or so from Calvins. Make sure you check out the Logging Trail at Algonquin right by the East gate. Its a nice level trail thats easy to do with the dogs (good one for Maddie) and its real neat to learn how those old loggers lived and how they got the logs out of the forests!! Check it out!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
No not with Moose but years ago with my Shepard/Dobie. It was GREAT. I would love to go with Moose but he gets car sick so I can't take him. That SUCKS! We go camping in a tent eitherway. If anyone has a trick to avoid the car sickness let me know.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I wish I had a trailer, I just use tents for the time being. This summer should be fun while I'm up home in Timmins - have 2 cottages to go to on nice lakes...I'll make sure to take lots of pics of the dogges!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My boyfriend and I go camping when we get the time. He has a small RV, so we stay in there, and the dogs sleep outside in their kennels. We've been to Alaska, some beaches in S. California, Napa Valley (redwood area), and some other places. I'd love to get over to Yosemite in the near future.

·
Registered
790 Posts
LISA, people must have loved you when you did bitework in the campsite. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had the cops come over last time I went camping.......they said I was "whipping" my dogs. :lol: :lol: :lol:

AND Bremner.....you LIVE IN THE WILDERNESS. Why do you need to go camping? :wink:
AND I hope you can make it to the show in Oregon. It is in a national park. Camping!!!!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
No, we don't.. :( I would be afraid of losing them..but it would be a blast taking them. :)

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PeterC said:
LISA, people must have loved you when you did bitework in the campsite. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had the cops come over last time I went camping.......they said I was "whipping" my dogs. :lol: :lol: :lol:

AND Bremner.....you LIVE IN THE WILDERNESS. Why do you need to go camping? :wink:
AND I hope you can make it to the show in Oregon. It is in a national park. Camping!!!!!
HAHA. No we refrained from bitework. Took a break from that this weekend. All I did with them was a little ob. :D Was camping with 3 other couples so they made for great distractions!! Everything else was pretty low key. It was nice to just spend time like that with my dogs. Usually its always rush, rush, rush....work, training, house/yard work etc. Nice to kick it into low gear once in a while and just chill. :D

·
Registered
790 Posts
Lisa lisa lisa.........what is going on???????

Work and when finished, into his crate........work and crate.............no petting without work..................no food if it did lousy..............work and crate...........formula for success..............hahahahhahaha. what is going on? YOu going soft? Down time? You are going to make your dog soft! hahahahhaha.

Next thing you know, you will let your dog inside your living room. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
PeterC said:
LMAO!!! Its very true, we could camp in our back yard, LOL, but what fun is that? :lol:

I won't be making the Oregan show, unless of course I win the lottery by then, LOL!!! I hope you guys have fun, and good weather!!

Oh yeah, and check out Wild River in Spades for me, Lucy's dad, he should be there!! :wink: Thanks!!

Have Fun :D

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PeterC said:
Lisa lisa lisa.........what is going on???????

Work and when finished, into his crate........work and crate.............no petting without work..................no food if it did lousy..............work and crate...........formula for success..............hahahahhahaha. what is going on? YOu going soft? Down time? You are going to make your dog soft! hahahahhaha.

Next thing you know, you will let your dog inside your living room. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEHE. Have to soften up and live like a normal person every once in a while!!!! LMAO!! It was a long winter here Peter and the weekend was quite refreshing. Back to the grindstone with me and the doggies! :wink:

PS you must not have seen my pictures in the photo section. :oops: You will be disappointed in my new found softness.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts