Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I feed twice a day. My dogs have a very high food drive, they would eat all day if I would let them. I think twice is healthier, but if he won't eat it then don't give him that option for a couple of days. Only feed him 1 time a day for a few days, then try two times again.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Cinder said:
Atticus gets fed twice. Once in the morning (around 7) and once at night (around 7).
Same with my dogs and they get a mid day snack around lunchtime and then a stuffed bone around 8:30PM-9ish at there quiet time.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
LegendsMami said:
Cinder said:
Atticus gets fed twice. Once in the morning (around 7) and once at night (around 7).
Same with my dogs and they get a mid day snack around lunchtime and then a stuffed bone around 8:30PM-9ish at there quiet time.

Ah, I didn't include the endless amounts of treats he gets. ;)

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
What if you split up that one meal a day into portions a few times a day then slowley add more to it, I dont know just a thought :roll: ~I'm tired~

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Bustersmommy said:
What if you split up that one meal a day into portions a few times a day then slowley add more to it, I dont know just a thought :roll: ~I'm tired~
That will work! B/c then he'll be a little hungry and he'll WANT that second feeding.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Jaeger (17 weeks old APBT) eats 3 times a day, with no fast days. All of my adults eat once a day, sometime between 2pm and 5pm. They are also fasted one day a week.

A dog's digestive system is completely different than ours'. The length of time the food spends in their system can range from 6 - 16 hours. Raw food is normally fully digested within 6 - 8 hours, canned takes a little longer mayber 8 - 12 hours, and dry takes forever anywhere from 8 - 16 hours. With this in mind, it is possible (even when feed 12 hours apart) that the dog still has food from the previous feeding in its digestive tract.

This is also why I fast my dogs on one day every week. It gives their systems a chance to completely empty out and take a rest.

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
ultimatek9 said:
Jaeger (17 weeks old APBT) eats 3 times a day, with no fast days. All of my adults eat once a day, sometime between 2pm and 5pm. They are also fasted one day a week.

A dog's digestive system is completely different than ours'. The length of time the food spends in their system can range from 6 - 16 hours. Raw food is normally fully digested within 6 - 8 hours, canned takes a little longer mayber 8 - 12 hours, and dry takes forever anywhere from 8 - 16 hours. With this in mind, it is possible (even when feed 12 hours apart) that the dog still has food from the previous feeding in its digestive tract.

This is also why I fast my dogs on one day every week. It gives their systems a chance to completely empty out and take a rest.
My ex used to do this with his Boxers.

I feed Rocket and Cinder twice a day.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
My three older dogs only want to eat once a day. They are not very active and do not
burn it off that quickly. Clara however, eats twice a day, as she is very active. They all get
a bone treat when they come inside from their first morning out and from their late afternoon out.
They are in and out all day, but only two treat times.
:wink:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
My dogs has eaten 2-3 times per day even as adults (2 times per day when I'm working and 3 times per day when I have the day off and I'm home). They seem to like the little "snack" in the middle of the day. High energy dogs burn the food faster, so by the end of the day they are starving! Before I rescued her, my late pit had a weight problem because she ate one large meal per day and didn't have a chance to burn it off. She was close to 80 pounds, then i adopted her and switched her to an all natural diet fed in two smaller meals. That, added with 2-3 walks per day, caused her to get down to a healthy for her size weight of 65 pounds.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Remy would eat 12 times a day if I let him! He's always on the brink of starving to death. ;) They both eat twice a day, though. Norris is eating 4-5 times a day right now, but he's just a baby. :)

Norris........LMAO I see you named the puppy :wink: :D

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Bustersmommy said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Remy would eat 12 times a day if I let him! He's always on the brink of starving to death. ;) They both eat twice a day, though. Norris is eating 4-5 times a day right now, but he's just a baby. :)

Norris........LMAO I see you named the puppy :wink: :D
Hubby did! :lol: Guess that means he likes him. ;)

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you everyone for your input. I like to feed 2x a time but he would just leave the food there and then the cats will eat it and then :puke: I don't want him to loose weight either. He eats 2 cups a day of dry and a 1/2 can of wet. Do you think this will make him skinny? Before he stopped eating twice a day he was consuming 4 cups a day of dry and 1 can of wet. He is going to be 18 months in a couple of days.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
twice a day (and like Remy, Holly could eat 100 times a day) and abouit 3 cookies a day and 1,2 sticks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
i use to feed her twice a day but she stoped eating in the morning so we started feeding her once but she will eat treats all day

1 - 20 of 29 Posts