Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how many of you went through training for your pup(s). If so, what kind of training did you chose... behavioralist, psychologist, obiedience, etc? And how much did you spend (if that's too personal, you don't have to answer)?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Well, I wanted to take Boss to puppy school for obedience, but most dog training places, don't allow Pit Bulls anymore. So, I've been training him myself. Anyway, all the places I called were in and around $300 for 6 or 8 weeks training.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just called a place called Bark Busters and they sound great, except for that for two dogs they are $975. They are lifetime gurantee, but I don't have that kind of money.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Well, that's just ridiculous. For people who don't know anything about training dogs, maybe they'd want to go there, but that just sounds way too expensive to me. You know what? Petsmart has puppy training classes, and I think they only charge about $150. Maybe you could check them out. :wink:

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
i put $4500 into my old dog and about the same into willy. i do all the basics myself but when you get to the more advanced stuff you need a club.
behavioralist, psychologist?? dogs are not people and in my opinion do not require these things. they are dogs and as long as you treat them as such you will have no problems.
jmo but most obedience schools (puppy preschool , basic ect) are a rip off . if you want sound training talk to the local sch club, even if you just want ob. may cost you a bit more but at least when you are done your dog will know what the ---- it is doing

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Attitude... what do you mean by "a club" for training? There are thousands of trainers out there and I'm really trying to seek sound advice, as I don't want to spend thousands of dollars and not have myself or my dogs gain anything from it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
attitude........100 agree!

couldn't agree more.

Our club does a bit of Ob classes for the public to raise money.

The fee is $60 /month once a week class. 20-30 minutes. Basically, we solve problems and give homework.

I think that is basically FREE.

I know this is a very rare case. Funny thing is, most people think THAT IS TOO MUCH!

Bottom line. Most people are too lazy or cheap to go to training, no matter how inexpensive it is.

People think that buying a dog is the expensive part. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
That is just the beginning!

I don't even want to think how much I have spent on my suit, equipment, housing (special pen with bars), tug toys, carpet mill, etc............

LOL. My girlfriend almost flipped when I said that I wanted to get an airconditioned dog trailer for 6 grand! LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We will see what happens when I get her that carribean cruise. Maybe she will be a bit more understanding.

·
Registered
451 Posts
ZeldasMom said:
Attitude... what do you mean by "a club" for training? There are thousands of trainers out there and I'm really trying to seek sound advice, as I don't want to spend thousands of dollars and not have myself or my dogs gain anything from it.
Well, what do you want help from a trainer with? Obedience? You can go to any trainer for puppy obedience training. It's all pretty simple. I wouldn't worry about not seeing results. You just have to make sure you're consistent. Boss knows all basic commands and more, and I trained him myself. The only reason I wanted to take him to puppy classes was to teach him how to properly "greet" other people. Because right now, he's a spaz when he meets new people :? You really should check out the classes Petsmart has, I hear they're very good. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[/quote]Well, what do you want help from a trainer with? Obedience? You can go to any trainer for puppy obedience training. It's all pretty simple. I wouldn't worry about not seeing results. You just have to make sure you're consistent. Boss knows all basic commands and more, and I trained him myself. The only reason I wanted to take him to puppy classes was to teach him how to properly "greet" other people. Because right now, he's a spaz when he meets new people :? You really should check out the classes Petsmart has, I hear they're very good. :)[/quote]

I have done a good job with basic commands on Zelda (our older AB). I really am looking for bahavorial training or classes because of the dominance issues that are going on between our 1 year old and 10 week old. He has attitude.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Well, what do you want help from a trainer with? Obedience? You can go to any trainer for puppy obedience training. It's all pretty simple. I wouldn't worry about not seeing results. You just have to make sure you're consistent. Boss knows all basic commands and more, and I trained him myself. The only reason I wanted to take him to puppy classes was to teach him how to properly "greet" other people. Because right now, he's a spaz when he meets new people :? You really should check out the classes Petsmart has, I hear they're very good. :)[/quote]

I have done a good job with basic commands on Zelda (our older AB). I really am looking for bahavorial training or classes because of the dominance issues that are going on between our 1 year old and 10 week old. He has attitude.[/quote]

Ohhhh lol, he thinks he's the boss, eh? Well, I'm sure there are trainers that can help you with that at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh does he ever... he full on attacks the heck out of my female. She won't back down from him, which I think is what ticks him off, but again, I don't know. I'm not a trainer. I was told by people see a dog bahavioralist for both of them and us because we all needed to be trained. That the dogs are confused and don't know who's the pack leader. I guess I'm dumb when it comes to owning a dog. I just want the best for them and us.

·
Registered
451 Posts
ZeldasMom said:
Oh does he ever... he full on attacks the heck out of my female. She won't back down from him, which I think is what ticks him off, but again, I don't know. I'm not a trainer. I was told by people see a dog bahavioralist for both of them and us because we all needed to be trained. That the dogs are confused and don't know who's the pack leader. I guess I'm dumb when it comes to owning a dog. I just want the best for them and us.
You're not dumb, not everyone knows how to handle dominance issues. That's so weird, though. He's only 10 weeks old and he's being dog-aggressive, already? Usually puppies can play safely with other dogs until sexual maturity. I wouldn't really know what to do.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
what i mean by club is some sort of "sport club" . i know you are not looking for sport training but these clubs are the only people that take obedience seriously. i have worked with/for so called obedience trainers. believe me when i say THEY WANT REPEAT BUSINESS. i have watched as some poor woman put her dog thru beginner basic 6 FREAKIN TIMES. do you think the "trainer" gave a crap. every time i would approach him about actually HELPING the woman he would laugh at me. "but then i will lose money". seen the same sorta thing at 4 different "schools". pet smart is a joke, do not waste you $$.
as peter has said good training does not come cheap, but it is worth it's weight in gold. approach some of the sport clubs in your neibourhood and explain what you want. i am sure that a reasonable deal can be struck.
schutzhund/ring clubs in the toronto area range from $800 to $1200 dollars for the year. i personally do not consider a grand for a year ridiculous. certainly not when i can train 5 nights a week for a year and you all are talking about 2-3 hundred dollars for 8-10 sessions.
put it into perspective folks

·
Registered
451 Posts
I never said $800-$1200 for a YEAR was ridiculous, I said $975 for 6-8 weeks obedience training is ridiculous. And it is. As far as Petsmart goes, anyone I've talked to who took their puppy there, were very pleased with the results. Not everyone goes back a second time. The people who do end up having to go back, are typically people who don't follow through consistently with the training. Anyway, looks like she will need more than just basic obedience, I think, so perhaps going to a club would be better for her.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
i was lucky enought to get my obedience training on both of mine for free. One of my stepdads best friends is a trainer so he hooked me up.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I agree with PeterC and Attitude. Sport Clubs are *usually* far superior when it comes to getting good training advice and one on one help. My club is a Schutzhund/Belgian Ring Club but we also accept members who just want to do OB or OB and tracking. People who come to our club don't have to do the bitework stuff if they chose not to or don't have a dog thats cut out for it. Our club fees are extremely cheap. We charge $420 per year for a full membership which includes 2 rounds of bitework per training session plus all the obedience and tracking help you need. Each member is allowed to train 2 dogs at this price and can come twice per week weather and field conditions permitting. For someone just wanting to come out and do obedience we usually charge less and if someone wants they can pay per quarter rather than yearly. That breaks down to $105 every 3 months for a full membership. I bet Petsmart can't even touch that!

Everyone looking for a trainer, please must remember that there is no governing body when it comes to dog trainers (at least not that I know of) so basically anyone can place an add in the paper and call themselves a trainer. If you chose to go to a private trainer or training school that is non sport affiliated be sure to ask for some training credentials i.e. proof of an AKC/CKC obedience title at least. Ask what types of dogs the trainer has actually trained up to a title. Some of these so called trainers have only handled Labs, Goldens, Border Collies and other "soft" breeds who generally aren't dominant or pushy in nature. I wasted the first 2 yrs of Rosco's life going through trainers that were not suited for me and my dog. I think I went through 3 in that time. I did not start making any real progress until I met a retired Schutzhund trainer who helped me get on track and pointed me in the direction of a Schutzhund club.

On a side note for those considering a Petsmart trainer. Petsmarts only requirement for being one of their trainers is that you like animals and working with people. No experience training dogs is necessary! I have seen one of their ads! So, in other words you could never have trained a dog in your life yet Petsmart could throw you through an 8 week course and voila you are a trainer. Be sure to ask what other training credentials these people have and what breeds they have trained and to what level. Many of these so called trainers are ok at teaching the basics but would be completely at a loss if someone brought them a dog with dominance or other aggression or behavioural issues. This is very important!

Here is an ad placed by Petsmart looking for a trainer.

http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob...6:31:52&Logo=1&cy=US&brd=1&q=Pet AND training

My club's website:

http://fraboontario.tripod.com/

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Lisa said:
I agree with PeterC and Attitude. Sport Clubs are *usually* far superior when it comes to getting good training advice and one on one help. My club is a Schutzhund/Belgian Ring Club but we also accept members who just want to do OB or OB and tracking. People who come to our club don't have to do the bitework stuff if they chose not to or don't have a dog thats cut out for it. Our club fees are extremely cheap. We charge $420 per year for a full membership which includes 2 rounds of bitework per training session plus all the obedience and tracking help you need. Each member is allowed to train 2 dogs at this price and can come twice per week weather and field conditions permitting. For someone just wanting to come out and do obedience we usually charge less and if someone wants they can pay per quarter rather than yearly. That breaks down to $105 every 3 months for a full membership. I bet Petsmart can't even touch that!

Everyone looking for a trainer, please must remember that there is no governing body when it comes to dog trainers (at least not that I know of) so basically anyone can place an add in the paper and call themselves a trainer. If you chose to go to a private trainer or training school that is non sport affiliated be sure to ask for some training credentials i.e. proof of an AKC/CKC obedience title at least. Ask what types of dogs the trainer has actually trained up to a title. Some of these so called trainers have only handled Labs, Goldens, Border Collies and other "soft" breeds who generally aren't dominant or pushy in nature. I wasted the first 2 yrs of Rosco's life going through trainers that were not suited for me and my dog. I think I went through 3 in that time. I did not start making any real progress until I met a retired Schutzhund trainer who helped me get on track and pointed me in the direction of a Schutzhund club.

On a side note for those considering a Petsmart trainer. Petsmarts only requirement for being one of their trainers is that you like animals and working with people. No experience training dogs is necessary! I have seen one of their ads! So, in other words you could never have trained a dog in your life yet Petsmart could throw you through an 8 week course and voila you are a trainer. Be sure to ask what other training credentials these people have and what breeds they have trained and to what level. Many of these so called trainers are ok at teaching the basics but would be completely at a loss if someone brought them a dog with dominance or other aggression or behavioural issues. This is very important!

Here is an ad placed by Petsmart looking for a trainer.

http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob...6:31:52&Logo=1&cy=US&brd=1&q=Pet AND training

My club's website:

http://fraboontario.tripod.com/

I have been told by 3 diff trainer to not send my dogs to petsmart or petco for training.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts