Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Patch is about 14 weeks old. He's home alone during the day while my husband and I are at work, so in the evenings we usually play ball with him, or run around the living room, or the backyard... during the day he's usually busy digging up the backyard (even though he's got SO many toys!)

We haven't started taking him on walks in the street yet because he's not fully vaccinated, but will be in a few weeks when he gets his last shot.

When should I start walking him, and for how long, how often?

How much exercise should I be giving him?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
For Tora my puppy whom is roughly the same age as yours....A good hard 15-20 minute play session with me will wear her out, she will play hard with me them go at her toys for about 10-15 minutes and then she is out for about an hour or two :shock: and then she is ready to go again....I will walk her once around my block probably about a 1/2 mile and she is out cold but again up in a little while........But I have noticed on park days she will play until I leave but I let her play for hours there and she does not wake up for a long time :D after those days....................But it is hard to really say without being with around him bc my friends puppy again roughly the same age can play hard for an hour and be wanting more but that dog plays harder and longer then Tora but that dog sleeps longer than Tora,too! My dog is a cat napper :oops: ...IMO all dogs are different just pay attention to when your puppy gets tired and what it took to get him there and you will find what is right for your baby :D

·
Super Moderator
16,008 Posts
This is the time that their bones and joints are developing and too much stress on them during the developing time is not good. Some play time is good, long walks is not. Little short walks for leash and collar training is all that is needed at this point. One of the people to ask this question to is Lisa. Maybe you could pm her with this.

Just copied this from a site:

HOW MUCH CAN I EXERCISE MY PUPPY?
A puppy's skeleton isn't completely mature until 12 months of age.( The bones' growth plates fuse in the 7th month, but then the bones' undergoes a lot of remodeling i.e. the structure changes as the bones adapt to the stresses put on them.) While the bones are growing, it is not safe to over exercise your puppy.

It is important that you bring your puppy outside at an early age to get him used to all the smells & sounds. But is also important not to do any permanent damage to the puppy's growing skeleton. When you damage the skeleton, joint problems (e.g. some conditions resembling hip dysplasia) may result. Such problems are painful & may result in lameness.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
I've always wondered what the experts consider "long" walks. My dog is 5 months old and seems as though he could walk forever. I bet we walk 1-2 miles a day and sometimes more on the weekends. I don't personally think that is too much, is it?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Patch is only about 3 months and we don't walk him at all yet.
We just play outside a few days a week til he's so tired he wants to sleep!

should i be walking him even just a little?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am probably going to get flamed, but Zeus is 13 weeks today and we have walked him 45 min a day, 2x a day since about 6 weeks.

I have very strong feelings about the risk of exposure, from lack of immunizations, but I have read eight books on the topic and feel comfortable with my decision and my vet also supports it. Your mileage may very, and I encourage you to do what you feel is right, I am just providing another viewpoint.

I believe that there is a HUGE impact on what the dog is shown, taught, or done, by 12 weeks of age that shapes the dog as an adult. You also must observe the dog. If it looks tired, you don't still walk it just to get 45 min it. Read the dog, like you read yourself. If it looks happy, you are OK. If it looks tired, it is time to stop.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh my gosh I feel SO bad knowing that others are walking their dogs when they are so young.
Patch is 3 and a half months old and we don't take him walking yet!
His last vaccination shot is tomorrow!!!!!!

Then, Sunday week we start puppy pre-school!

We are going to start walking him daily from then on... i hope he adapts well to the change!

we have been SO worried about him catching illnesses because he wasn't fully vaccinated.... but i'm not sure he's getting enough exercise!

Do you think playing in the yard (and in the house, thanks to my husband) is enough???

·
Registered
103 Posts
My two AB's just hit 5 months also. We will go to the dog park where they play for like 2 hours and sleep on the car ride home. After a short nap, there ready to go run around some more. They get a Long Walks (3-5miles) a couple times a week. If they get alot of excersize you can tell the next day. But IMO if they have all the energy to expel and are not being forced or pulled along, let'em go. If they start getting tired or lagging behind, we go home. 2 months ago an hour at the dog park was enough. Not now a days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.