Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm new to this forum and a proud owner of a AB puppy. He's 9 weeks and I'd like to know a little about feeding. First how much, and second how often? He already weighs 24 lbs.
Thanks
Guy

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Look at the package guidelines and start there. Divide the amount over three feedings. Then just see how it goes - if he doesn't look like he's gaining enough, up the amount, and if he's too much of a chunk (he's a puppy - he's supposed to be :D ) lower it. The amount you should feed varies greatly from brand to brand of food.

Good luck, and congrats on your new pup.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Wow...he's huge!!! What are you feeding him? Start with the guidelines on the bag of food and adjust according to his activity level and metabolism. Some people say let a puppy eat as much as he can in 20 minutes (feeding him 3 times a day), but I always rationed my pup's meals, and she grew up to be strong and healthy. :) We fed her 3 times a day until she was 12 weeks old. Now she eats twice a day (7:00am and 5:30pm).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I'm feeding him twice a day now about 2 cups each time. He's currently eating Eukanuba but after reading the grading of some of the different brands I think I'll switch to something a little better. however his stools are solid and he doesn't have much gas now. I bought this because that is what he was weaned on and I did not want him adjusting to a new home and food at the same time.
Guy

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
bella_blue said:
Some people say let a puppy eat as much as he can in 20 minutes (feeding him 3 times a day), .
That is HORRIBLE advice!!!! Dozer would have ate the whole bag of food in 20 minutes and Lucy wouldn't be far behind. Ab's are freakin' pigs they won't stop when they are full. My mom once did that to Dozer, when I got there his belly was hard as a rock and he wasn't feeling so well. She thought I never fed him or something, cause he was acting like he was starving.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Bremner53 said:
bella_blue said:
Some people say let a puppy eat as much as he can in 20 minutes (feeding him 3 times a day), .
That is HORRIBLE advice!!!! Dozer would have ate the whole bag of food in 20 minutes and Lucy wouldn't be far behind. Ab's are freakin' pigs they won't stop when they are full. My mom once did that to Dozer, when I got there his belly was hard as a rock and he wasn't feeling so well. She thought I never fed him or something, cause he was acting like he was starving.
Haha...I know!! Bella would have been the same way! I guess the "eat as much as you can in 20 minutes" thing works for some dogs, but I would never try it on any of my dogs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bremner53 said:
bella_blue said:
I wish Daisy would eat like that. When I feed her three times a day, she hardly touches the food at the second and third feedings, but if I feed her twice, she eats more. It is kind of weird. She is still gaining weight, and the vet says she looks excellent, but it seems like she should be eating more.

To answer your question, my advice is no different than anyone else's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our vet told us to make sure we DIDN't over feed. Because of the larger breed, they can actually grow too fast
and be in danger of bone and hip issues. We feed Royal Canin, which is developed especially for breed types, as well
as small, medium, and larger breeds. The puppy food from this brand has Annie's coat sooooo soft, and she's growing
at the right pace. Not to mention she loves the stuff!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts