Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just Wondering on how often people here exercise their dogs ex walking,running,treadmills,etc and doing what exercise, weight pull,sledding these days ,treadmills etc

I exercise my dogs
they all get walked in the morning before work.
come home they all seperatly go in their area for a half hour and chase balls etc
they schutzhund training on weekends

anyone else? or do they sit on the couch all day????
LIke to know what Angelika does can her dogs always look cut! :wink:

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
3 walks aday, one before work, at lunch time and she comes to work with me in the evenings :)

Saturdays, obidence training classes.
Sunday,1 walk in the morning, rest of the day a couch potatoe :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Josie and I play tug O' war for about 45min every day and about 30min of chase the Kong. When it's above freezing we also go for a walk. She sure don't like the cold and you can forget about snow. When I try to take her out on cold and or snowy days, she puts one paw out side and makes a beeline back into the house.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cant keep my Abs out of the snow when its a Sotrm day (im home from work) they go nuts we all play in the snow i do snow angels and they jump around and wingle their backs in it they love it! its soo weird how soem dogs hate it or love it!!! They dont overly like the rain and wind but i make them go out thorugh it

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Kate gets 2 walks a day. If it's snowy out we will go to the park and I will throw the ball for her anywhere from 1/2 to an hour or more if shes still going. then we have kong playtime in the house. Sundays.... lay on the couch and watch movies all day (with the 2 walks cause I have no yard, only way for her to go potty)

·
Registered
328 Posts
take 4-6 walks with Link per day. atleast one long but try to walk 2 longer walks. Try to let him play with other dogs so often we can and then we have the springpole. But I admit that it lesser training now when the olympics is on :oops:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Well Sadie doesn't really exercise anymore. Every now and then she plays with Jaz, but only once or twice a day. She's almost 13 so she deserves a rest!

Jaz being 16 months is a different story. We go for walks in the spring, summer, and fall. We have a big yard so Jaz uaually does a couple full laps each time she goes outside to potty. In the summer we're outside for hours. I play ball with them, and when they start to slow down I read and Jaz continues to run around and play. In the house she gets tons of exercise by playing rough with other dogs. Also her fav thing to do is to stand at the top of the stairs with her ball, and then she drops it down and goes after it. She does that till she can hardley stand up. She rarely lays down or sleeps. She is constantly playing with her toys and running around. Infact she's so active she was looking very thin. She is all muscle and very lean looking. We were starting to see a lot of her ribs and backbone. At first I thought she had worms, but it turns out she is very healthy, just very active. I had to switch her food to a higher fat and protein food for dogs who burn a lot of calories.

We have been looking into building a spring pole for her this year. I think she would absolutley love it!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Eli is pretty laid back so he only gets walked a couple times a week. Toys do not interest him at all so there is no play time. He does run/walk around the back yard for about 15 minutes a few times a day. In the warmer months i run him beside me while i'm on my bike or i strap on my rollerblades and let him run.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Every couple hours

I take mine out every couple hours for aprox 45 mins to hr sometimes less depends how rough they play or run my yard is fence so we run and also do ramps & jumps plus they are still puppies so they do zommies all over chashing each other around I usually have to stop em because they get tiered out and are panting. But I am at home all day so I have the time for em to do that. As far as the rest every couple of hours is for me LOL they wear me out so full of energy.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I take Mo out with the bike every few days. I don't let him run with the bike yet, except for short distances, but he gets a brisk walk for about 30min. This is his favorite exercise.

He plays with the pit bull next door. These sessions would go on for hours if the dogs had their say. The longer they play, the muddier they get, so we usually cut it short.

We are working slowly on getting him to run on the treadmill.

We play fetch inside a lot, but he is killing my hardwood floors!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I try to walk Abby atleast once a day for 30 minutes and sometimes we go to the field on the other side of town and run around.

In warmer weather, I take my bike out and Abby runs beside me, except when were going uphills, I let her pull me up lol. (i switch the leash from the collar to the harness so she doesnt hurt her neck pulling)

I would love to do dog sledding with her, if I had the room. That seems like it would be so much fun!

We also do agility training. In the winter we only go to classes about once a month, but in the spring were signing up a for a session again for once a week. We also do mini runs at home with the equipment I have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stuart gets a walk in the morning for about 20-30 minutes and then plays outside for about another hour while I get ready for work. When I get home we play in the yard chasing balls or each other or playing in the pool if the weather permits. We go for a long walk at the park where he can run off his leash and we spend about an hour there. I think most of this is my efforts not his. Sometimes I think he would be happy to be a couch potato all day:)

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I walk our AB for about an hour a day. We do some sprints outside on our walks, play tug, let her jump around. She also gets to run around with other dogs a few hours a week.
Unfortunatley we dont have a backyard so she doesnt get to run around as much as I would like. I cant wait until the weather is nicer so I can walk her more. Or even better, get a house with a yard. But a yard is no replacement for a nice long walk.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I do nothing special, just walk them in the morning and at night as like as everyone here. Noon we go out and play with each of them, but I want them to run up and down the hil a couple of times. With some dogs we go out for trecking four or six times per week, schutzhund training three times per week and obedience every now and than, when I take them out for a walk. Most of my dogs like to swim, so we are desperate waiting for summertime. If I don't have time, I let them run together in the backyard (only some of them who like each other). I forgot if the weather is nice we ride a bicycle and take for sure a dog with us.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Atze always looks soo great! and Diablo too i love Dotty as well all their bodies i love :)
We cant wait until summertime as well the -28 here is getting too cold but the dogs dont seem to mind as long as theres snow to run through

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Does anybody here know anything about the tire? I saw it at a site someone posted here. Their dogs were always on the tire, it looked like something Jaz would love. Does it actually work them?

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
My dogs run and play for several hours a day, every day in my back yard. I assume that is enough because they are both very healthy and have pretty nice structure.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
kogeki said:
But a yard is no replacement for a nice long walk.
Yup, I love my long walks, altho I never go to same place on a regular basis, cos of the dog snatchers! But the nether the less we do get out, I think they need a change of view, otherwise they get bored with just the yard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts