Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have posted before re: my 'niece' China.
Anyway, she is going to be five this month and our vet advises she be spayed asap. She has had two litters already one in 2004 (intentional) and the other this spring (un-intentional). My thought is that she should not have to go through that again. Is there an age when a dog should no longer have pups?
She is in heat now and I would like to help her avoid going through all this again - any info is appreciated.
Thanks!
Bonnie

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hello, to avoid her having pups I'd follow your vets advice and get her spayed, being that you don't want her having anymore pups and that she is getting older leaving her intact instead of spaying her can lead to health problems for her. Including cancar, mammory tumors and overian cycsts. You could just keep her away from male dogs while she is in heat, but the health problems have a good chance of starting to pop up. Even a lot of breeders spay their dogs once retired to avoid the health problems.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
True_Pits said:
Hello, to avoid her having pups I'd follow your vets advice and get her spayed, being that you don't want her having anymore pups and that she is getting older leaving her intact instead of spaying her can lead to health problems for her. Including cancar, mammory tumors and overian cycsts. You could just keep her away from male dogs while she is in heat, but the health problems have a good chance of starting to pop up. Even a lot of breeders spay their dogs once retired to avoid the health problems.
Not to mention the biggest danger of all: Pyometra (where the uterus fills up with pus). Have her spayed now.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
What they said. Follow your vet's advice, have her spayed. Now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the re-assurance.
I have been pretty scared thinking it will be much harder on her as she is older and has had the two litters.
Does anyone know if they keep the dog overnight at the vet hospital? I don't know if could bear it...
By the way, when should a female dog no longer have pups? When are they past their prime?
:)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
my lab was spayed when she was 8 years old and she had at least 4 or 5 litters before that :(
but she bounced back just like a young dog and was perfectly fine

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
They would usually keep her overnight unless the operation was done in the morning, all my pets I took them right home after they woke up but maybe that's because I was a vet assistant?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts