Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
http://www.apbt.info/tiki-index.php?page=Beginning+Weight+Pull

This link is awesome read.

I know the dog wp competition coming here starts the competition at 9 months old. But recommend the trainers be professional to start them that early.

Personally??I'd recommend the command training and getting used to dragging light objects such as milk jugs from 6 months to a year. At one year, I will have the dog looked at by a vet to make sure he can start lite weights, such as pennies in the milk jugs, small amounts and gradually increasing. Then, go up from there over a course of a year, with close vet supervision, and no really heavy weights until 2 yeras old, and x rays done again to confirm he is ok to continue to the big boy stuff.

I will not jeopardize my dogs health and structural well being, because I am not experienced and in no way a professional. However, I am getting pumped with good advice since I have taken this on, and am learning tons of info. We are having fun, and working hard!!!

Dont rush it, it will come, and please dont hurt your doggy!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Depends on what organization you pull with. IWPA and APA the dogs need to be 12 months before they can compete. As far as just starting your dog, I have a good write up about it in the post in this section titled "weight pull vs choke chain".

On a side note, I will make up a list of weightpull links to info, websites, message boards, etc. about weightpull and make it a sticky..that way everyone has an easy reference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.